Practice amplifier - rock songs lessons

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Discussion > Practice amplifier - rock songs lessons

zeveionut

Full Access

Hey.

I'm a beginner guitar player. I'm following the Guitar Fundamentals here on GuitarTricks. I'm practicing with an electric guitar. For the moment without an amplifier.

I'm thinking of buying a Roland Micro Cube GX as an amp. I've read good thinks abut it. But I've looked at some rock songs lessons here on GuitarTricks. Most of the lessons give an advice about how to set up your amp to get the wanted sound for that particular lesson. They usually give settings for Bass, Middle, Trebble, Pressence... The Roland Micro Cube does not have different knobs for this. It only has a Tone knob.

So, I'm thinking if I'll have problems setting the Roland Micro Cube amp to get the same sound on the guitar when doing a song lesson. If you have a Roland Micro Cube amp, did you had any problems doing rock songs lessons here on GuitarTricks? Or do you have an advice for a better practice amp?

I'm also thinking about these amps:

- Fender Mustang GT 40
- Marshall Code 25

They are a bit more expensive and I'm wandering if they are too loud for an apartment and if they actually sound better then the roland micro cube. Also, what I like about the cube is the fact that it can run on batteries and when I want to practice in another room I don't have to drag my power cord with me.

Any advice? Thanks

Hey.

I'm a beginner guitar player. I'm following the Guitar Fundamentals here on GuitarTricks. I'm practicing with an electric guitar. For the moment without an amplifier.

I'm thinking of buying a Roland Micro Cube GX as an amp. I've read good thinks abut it. But I've looked at some rock songs lessons here on GuitarTricks. Most of the lessons give an advice about how to set up your amp to get the wanted sound for that particular lesson. They usually give settings for Bass, Middle, Trebble, Pressence... The Roland Micro Cube does not have different knobs for this. It only has a Tone knob.

So, I'm thinking if I'll have problems setting the Roland Micro Cube amp to get the same sound on the guitar when doing a song lesson. If you have a Roland Micro Cube amp, did you had any problems doing rock songs lessons here on GuitarTricks? Or do you have an advice for a better practice amp?

I'm also thinking about these amps:

- Fender Mustang GT 40
- Marshall Code 25

They are a bit more expensive and I'm wandering if they are too loud for an apartment and if they actually sound better then the roland micro cube. Also, what I like about the cube is the fact that it can run on batteries and when I want to practice in another room I don't have to drag my power cord with me.

Any advice? Thanks

William MG

Full Access

Hi and welcome, rather than type my thoughts I shot a quick vid of mine. And I forgot to mention that there are apps like Tone Bridge that will give you exactly the tone for a certain song, you might want to check that out on youtube.

Cube

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Breaking the Law - fun, fast paced song.

Lesson here

Honky Tonk Women - (Not Made Easy!) I will lick this song someday

Lesson here

Hi and welcome, rather than type my thoughts I shot a quick vid of mine. And I forgot to mention that there are apps like Tone Bridge that will give you exactly the tone for a certain song, you might want to check that out on youtube.

Cube

Repertoire:

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Lesson here

Lesson here

fuzzb0x

Full Access

The Roland micro cube is a good little amp for it's price and you'll be able to get plenty of good tones out of it, another option in that price range could be a second hand line 6 pod, you'd have to use headphones with it but you can link it up to you laptop through the aux input and play along to the lessons with it and it has loads of different amp models so you should be able to match the sound of whatever lesson or song you are doing.

The Roland micro cube is a good little amp for it's price and you'll be able to get plenty of good tones out of it, another option in that price range could be a second hand line 6 pod, you'd have to use headphones with it but you can link it up to you laptop through the aux input and play along to the lessons with it and it has loads of different amp models so you should be able to match the sound of whatever lesson or song you are doing.

zeveionut

Full Access

Wow, man. You took the time to make a video. Thanks :)

So, from what I got, you managed to learn and play different songs, that have different tones, using the Roland Micro Cube.

I know that from a practice amplifier you will not be able to get the perfect sound. I just want to get a pretty similar sound so that the song sounds ok when played. And, from what I got from you, you can do that with the roland micro cube.

But let's go with an example. Let's say you want to learn: Tainted Love ( https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=27517&s_id=2307 )

In the lesson it says the settings for the amp are:

Fender Deluxe Model:
Drive: 35% Bass: 45% Mid: 55% Treb: 60% Presence: 65%
Spring Reverb:
WetDryMIX: 35%

How do you set you Roland Micro Cube since it does not have knobs for Bass, Mid, Treb, Presence? You probably do it by ear and try to get a similar sound like in the lesson. Right? If that is right, then this might be difficult for me since I am a beginner. And it might be easier on an amp that just has knobs for this settings.

Thank you

Wow, man. You took the time to make a video. Thanks :)

So, from what I got, you managed to learn and play different songs, that have different tones, using the Roland Micro Cube.

I know that from a practice amplifier you will not be able to get the perfect sound. I just want to get a pretty similar sound so that the song sounds ok when played. And, from what I got from you, you can do that with the roland micro cube.

But let's go with an example. Let's say you want to learn: Tainted Love ( https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=27517&s_id=2307 )

Fender Deluxe Model:
Spring Reverb:

How do you set you Roland Micro Cube since it does not have knobs for Bass, Mid, Treb, Presence? You probably do it by ear and try to get a similar sound like in the lesson. Right? If that is right, then this might be difficult for me since I am a beginner. And it might be easier on an amp that just has knobs for this settings.

Thank you

William MG

Full Access

Originally Posted by: zeveionut

Fender Deluxe Model:
Spring Reverb:

Thank you

You're actually over thinking this. Find a tone you like and go with it and then get your practice in. All these little amps give enough tone variations to work for any genre.

Repertoire:

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Lesson here

Lesson here

Originally Posted by: zeveionut

Fender Deluxe Model:
Spring Reverb:

Thank you

You're actually over thinking this. Find a tone you like and go with it and then get your practice in. All these little amps give enough tone variations to work for any genre.

Repertoire:

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Lesson here

Lesson here