Changing strings

samanthawolfe69
samanthawolfe69
09/24/2019 12:07 am

I am a beginner player that has just finished Guitar Fundamentals I and I'm working on II. I've been practicing pretty regularly (as often as my hectic schedule allows) for the past 5 months. When do I need to change my strings? I have a feeling I may need to do so now but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in effects that would let me know that. I have an electric guitar (it's a Frankenstien that a friend put together for me using several different guitars for parts). And what is the best brand/kind of strings out there that I should be looking at that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/24/2019 1:39 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: samanthawolfe69

I am a beginner player that has just finished Guitar Fundamentals I and I'm working on II.

[/quote]

Congrats on your achievement!

[quote=samanthawolfe69]I've been practicing pretty regularly (as often as my hectic schedule allows) for the past 5 months. When do I need to change my strings?

Things to look-listen for: corrosion, discoloration, dents in the wound strings over the frets, won't stay in tune, dull sounding.

You don't absolutely need to change stings until they break! :) But usually after a week or two of serious & solid practice (a few hours a day) I find that they can use changing. Most beginners can get away with a month or two.

Any brand will do. Fender, Daddario, Ernie Ball. Get something on sale. What ever is inexpensive at the local store or on the web. Some brands react differently to different individual's hand oil, sweat, touch. Some wear out quicker than others. You might try a few different brands over the course of the next few string changes & learn from experimentation what works best for you.

Over the last couple of years I've been using Ernie Ball Paradigms. They actually do last longer & still maintain tone for me. I've been able to keep one set on a Strat that gets regular use for a couple of months & they are still sounding pretty good!

However, they cost a bit more than standard strings. So I usually just use standard Ernie Ball slinkys on most guitars.

I have a tutorial on changing strings if you want to do it yourself.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1974

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Brightest.Rockstar
Brightest.Rockstar
05/06/2020 12:04 am

Hi there,

I have just recently restarted playing the guitar. I was taking some lessons at community centre few years ago but due to relocation was not able to continue. Today while tuning the 2nd string broke. what do you do in this case? how do you repair it? i have an additional (extra 2nd) string. I want to learn to repair it.

please advise

looking forward to your response.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
05/06/2020 12:56 am

You can replace either the set or individual B string with one of the same gauge. If the strings are [u]old[/u] or [u]cheap rubbish[/u], change the set. If not, just change the string until replacing the set as you say you have a B replacement.

You don't specifiy which so;

Electric here.

[br]Acoustic here.

[br]Single string or set, method is the same. Nothing complex or difficult about it. Have fun.

# 4
jmpilo
Full Access
jmpilo
Full Access
11/06/2020 4:07 am

[I have a tutorial on changing strings if you want to do it yourself.]

I'm having trouble changing strings out on my Gretch Jet with Bigsby. Broke (2) high e strings before i got string replaced. It broke while i was tightening. Again recently when replacing the high E string. While tuning it. My B string snaped.

Been playing for quite some time now. But embarased to say I'm pertty new at replacing my own strings. I seem to do ok on my Fender Tele. But the Jet not so much. I'm going through strings like crazy. Mostly high E, B and C?

I probably just need more practice at changing out a string. But was hoping you could help out this "old" novice.

Thanks much - Joe

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.