How To Buy An Electric Guitar

beachyogijules
beachyogijules
08/27/2019 2:20 am

I want to get an electric guitar but don't know where to start:

What determines a great one vs. a cheap one?

If I'm just practicing at home, can I use headphones instead of an amp?

I'm thinking of getting the POD in lieu of a bunch of pedals . . . thoughts?

I'm almost an intermediate acoustic guitar player; just got my membership here. Should I wait until I've played more, to know what I want?

I live in LA, so I've got access to whatever gear I want on Craigslist.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/27/2019 4:36 am

[u]Here's how I'd approach your situation were I there again[/u]. Your personality type may prefer a different approach.

Rules of thumb.

Check the depth of the water, then dive in. I wouldn't "wait" beyond that. But that's me. That first electric guitar doesn't have to be THE perfect guitar. You won't know what that is for [u]you[/u] until you have put the hours and laps in the surf, pool, lake.

Have you ever played electric before? If not, the necks and action are quite different from acoustic, sharing in common only that they are both fitted with steel strings. Electric strings generally fitted as standard are lighter gauge 9s or 10s vs acoustic's 12s.

Electric guitar necks differ more widely than acoustic necks IME. By neck here, I am referring to all the characteristics of a neck, not just profile.

What styles of music do you like/intend to play? Electric pickups, configs, and guitars are very much orientated to genres.

Fit, by that I mean physical fit.

The fit and feel varies considerably. It is [u]most important to have a neck which fits you[/u], and which has features suited to what you want to do with it. e.g. shred, play metal, rhythm, blues, etc.

e.g. you can possibly relate to fit better in acoustic analogy by comparing the body shapes more than anything. For instance, I detest Dreads much as I'd like to like them. They are just a poor body fit for me. I'll go with a Concert or e-acoustic Slimline Cutaway every time. In electrics, the body shape is less of an issue than weight, centre of gravity or neck.

Buy that first electric guitar on fit and its suitability to intended genre, NOT how cool it looks in your or anyone elses' eyes, which is invariably a deciding factor to many a regret.

For me, brand doesn't matter, but I'm an analytical guy. And unless you're 'money is no object' loaded in which case "knock yourself out!", it foolish to buy too much guitar as a first as guitars depreciate faster than a new car the moment you drive it off the showroom floor.

As an electric noob, buy new unless you know guitars, or have someone with you who does, not just says s/he does. That way you don't get someone else's cast off problems unless lucky, and know what to look for other than a preferred colour and shape.

There's nothing wrong with Fender's Squier segment. I haven't owned an Epiphone, but from reports of those who do, it's more of the same segment marketing in Gibson flavour. Ibanez look pretty at the cheap end, but I wouldn't buy one there. Their higher end segment with better bodies, fingerboards and electronics is relatively expensive. They've become a name in a niche, for those to whom that is important and prepared to pay for it. A long time now my first electric was an Ibanez, so I'm not agin the brand per se. Just I wouldn't pay what I'd have to today to get in an Ibanez of the quality I did back then before they were a name. Lots of good kit also available from Cort, Yamaha that punch way above their price point weight. Then there are the prestige brands like Suhr & Jackson along with lots more who'd like your money, and niche like G&L. Very nice, but at a price. In the US, choice abounds. e.g. Gretsch, Rickenbacker, et al.

As a general guide, for an all rounder, it's [u]very[/u] hard to beat a Strat style guitar. I like Teles too. A lot. Both are good physical fits for me. I like the tones I can get from both of them. Les Pauls look cool, but do try first, and if going there, avoid the brand names targeting wannabes. Not knocking LPs per se, just that the whole Les Paul look is a bit of a minefield unless you know what you're about. And anything Les Paul I'd want to own or play is [u]heavy[/u], and remember, I as I said I'm not a brand snob, nor trad luddite.

Along with four acoustics, I own and play all three of those electric styles Tele, Strat, LP in various configs with alternative PUP and or bridge configs, and also had an (Ibanez) SG once. My next explorative adventure will probably be to a ES-335 (electric Spanish) style semi acoustic with Mahogany sustain block, but with contemporary design features and appointments.

[br]GL, enjoy your journey.

manXcat

PS. Trust me, unless you live in a shoebox where the neighbours are beating on your walls when you play your acoustic, once you have an electric, you will want an amp. And arguably, need one to explore tonality. How much or little is up to you. It can be as humble and efficient for in home use as a Boss Katana Mini or Blackstar Fly 3, or Yamaha THR 10 Fender Champion 20 etc. All of those have a headphone out jack and MP3 in for backing tracks for quiet play or practice. Another alternative is a VOX AmPlug or similar available in an increasing number of brands.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/27/2019 8:03 am

Hi,

The great news is you live in LA. I can just imagine the availability of equipment available on the used market, and of course it won't take long to sell off what you don't want to keep.

Frankly I wouldn't put a great deal of thought into what guitar. I always go with what turns me on at the time. Mistakes can be quickly sorted out especially in your market. You already play so you will know if the guitar is playable once you pick it up.

I would suggest an effects board like a G3N or similar. Dirt cheap these days and no need for a bunch of pedals kicking around. I would almost take a stab at $100 in your market would get you a good used effects board. And as you mentioned you can run headphones from them. But as manX suggest, I would still get an amp.

Any small modeling amp like the ones manX describes are great and again available really cheap. In my office I keep a Roland Cube bought off our local music swap for $80. My guess in LA is $200 for a good used board and small practise amp.

I do suggest headphones. There are times I want to play along to a jam track and it's just not possible to turn the amp up to where I want to hear it without effecting others so I plug the jam track into my amp or them through my board and out to my headphones. Which does remind me, you may want to ensure the amp you buy has an aux input. Pretty common these days but if you are going used there will be older amps on the market that don't have it. Instead they used RCA type jacks. Very inconvenient these days. If you have an iPhone with no earphone output you can still run it into an amp or board by getting a Bluetooth receiver that will plug into the aux input. $20ish new.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/27/2019 1:56 pm

@yogijules, you, fortunately, already received a couple very thoughtful, intelligent responses so I won't add much. Just a couple points. First, I would consider the type of music you enjoy and want to play and look at the instruments your favorite players use. manxcat, touched on this. This is a gross oversimplification, but there are two broad "categories" of guitars, the Gibson Les Paul humbucker tone type and the Fender Stratocaster single coil tone type. This is only directional decision you have to make up front. Look at what your idols play and that is a direction to start. If you're like most of us down the road you'll own guitars from both categories to fill the need!

You mentioned getting the POD in lieu of a bunch of pedals and this is very logical reasoning and a multi-effects board will save the expense of many pedals. I use a POD and haven't fired up my Fender Blues Jr. and pedals in months. But the POD has huge learning curve and unless you are retired or stay at home or otherwise have a LOT of time I would hold off. It is fun and fun is our goal. But the "rabbit hole" of chasing tone and pedals (or multi-effects board) is perhaps best left for later. Get one of the cheaper practice amps, or a cheaper amp with effects for now. That will serve you very well to get started.

Have fun shopping. And let us know what you end up with.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 4
hobinlobo
Full Access
hobinlobo
Full Access
08/27/2019 9:40 pm

I wouldn't disagree with much of the above (though I've read good reviews of Ibanez, and have liked the couple I have tried). But some additional thoughts:

Even if you plan to buy second hand, definitely go to a shop and try a few out to see what you like.

For example, I generally hear good things about Epiphone, but personally I have never liked any I played. In contrast (in terms of necks) I have liked pretty much all the Fender and Squier guitars I have played. But you might have the opposite experience. A lot of it is personal preference.

As suggested above, look at the style of guitar played by people you like - and use that as your starting point. And then play some to see which feel right to you.

In terms of amps, I really like the Vox AV15 and AV30. Not a modelling amp, but does have a good range of sounds from clean to Marshall style distortion. (Though apparently not so good for metal.) And they are not expensive. I had a much more expensive Roland Blues cube, but in the end sold it to buy another Vox. (I wanted 2 amps.)

I don't know the POD, but I think it does make sense to try a multi-effects unit, to experiment with. If you are happy with it, you can keep it. If you decide you want pedals later, playing with the multi-effects will help identify the pedals you want. (And if you don't want to buy loads of pedals, you can continue using the multi-effects for some of the lesser-used sounds.)

I have a few pedals, but also have a line 6 M9, which I find quite easy to use.

You ask about great guitars versus cheap guitars. I should say I don't have much experience of expensive guitars. But I'm not (yet) convinced of the need to get a very expensive guitar. I once played a £3000 Fender custom shop strat, and honestly did not prefer it to my mexican Fender, or my Squier vintage modified strat. (And indeed, I prefer my Squier to my Fender.) That said, I did have a Squier affinity, but sold that as I wasn't happy with the sound.

Ultimately though, if you buy second hand, don't worry about making a mistake. If you don't like it, you should be able to sell it for more or less what you bought it for and try again.

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/27/2019 11:07 pm

So I think she is adequately confused.

Yogi, just go buy something, play with it, keep or sell it

Its not that complicatated.

Have FUN

# 6
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/27/2019 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: hobinlobo

I did have a Squier affinity, but sold that as I wasn't happy with the sound.

[p][br]Hi hobinlobo

[br]Realise this is rather closing the gate after that horse has bolted, but for others reading who may be in or find themselves in the same predicament, this would've fixed that - inexpensively. I paid [u]a lot less[/u] (under half that) for mine than the price listed here domestically. Or if preferred, same brand quality ceramic PUPs with an induction plate on the bridge PUP to get that closer to 50's vintage sound can be had for a considerably less. In the US you have so many inexpensive options, not so much in other countries, so this is more for those readers in ROW.

[br]I think the key point is probably A. as long as the owner is a technically adept hands on person, and B. the Squier Affinity Tele's contemporary neck profile, nut width and fingerboard radius works for them. It does for me.

That single PUP mod turns an inexpensive guitar into truly solid unit where no way is it the weak link, setup notwithstanding. There are numerous other minor tweaks which can be made to them to change/improve overall tone and enhance playability, or even the cosmetic, all just parts fitting really simplist of which is to swap over the pickguard for three ply. Although in my country l think even though the Affinity Tele is locally overpriced, they're a (Fender) Squier branded Tele if the name on the headstock is important to the buyer, and remain affordable to most.

I like their slimmer but still Alder body, and the top loading bridge works just fine. (I have a through load as well). They can be quickly and easily transformed too with three double barrel saddles in any material one might like including brass if preferring a different or Tele tone. The fret ends are usable out of the box, but clean up even better with a little polish work IME. A no frills inexpensive workhorse. I like 'em.

# 7
beachyogijules
beachyogijules
08/28/2019 2:59 am

This is suuper-helpful! Thanks so much!

I'm going to think about what sound/vibe I want, look at the guitars my favorite musicians play, and go to a music store to try several. Probably Craigslist from there.

Are there issues I should know about when buying used (manXcat, you mentioned "cast-off problems")?

What's an aux input?

Sounds like it's mostly about getting something comfortable to play, as tone is determined more by amps and pedals than the guitar?

# 8
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/28/2019 4:07 am
Originally Posted by: yogijules

I'm going to think about what sound/vibe I want, look at the guitars my favorite musicians play, and go to a music store to try several. Probably Craigslist from there.[/quote][p]

Sound plan, except for the Craigslist bit. But I've already made my personal preference position clear on that previously.

[quote=yogijules]Are there issues I should know about when buying used (manXcat, you mentioned "cast-off problems")?

By "cast-off" what I meant was that frequently, the least frustrating smartest way to fix a difficult to fix, seemingly impossible to detect or expensive to fix problem is [u]to just get rid of it[/u] and replace it with something else. Decent people wouldn't onsell a problem anything deceptively inflicting it upon someone else. Not everyone is either decent nor honest. You can figure out the rest.

So no disrespect intended, yogijules, but if you have to ask, you're probably not really equipped to discern a dud unless it's something cosmetically readily apparent, and I couldn't explain all you need not only to know here without turning this into the equivalent of an additional volume to "War & Peace". Nothing to do with intelligence per se, but with an aptitude for the technical coupled with assimilation of knowledge acquired from exposure to hands on.

I think the primary thing to remember is that buying second hand is caveat emptor, and the owner may, or may not, be tellin' you porkies about why s/he's unloading it. New, you know everything is as it should be, and if not, you have a dealer to take it back to with factory warranty to back you up. I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but in the end, it's not just a price thing, but an pleasurable experience = minimal frustration thing.

Better a new Squier Affinity Tele or Strat that at most needs a neck relief and intonation adjustment OOTB. They play surprisingly well. Don't let their price point fool you. Watch this from that timed link. And that's just a humble fixed bridge Squier Bullet Strat. Set up propertly, any of the myriad of new guitars at low pricepoints in the US won't be a limiting factor on either your play or tone initially. Pickups and strings do matter, as does everything which will hold a guitar in tune. Tuner mechs, nut, bridge. [u]But most important is fit[/u]. Like I said earlier, buy new, go comfort, and just dive in. Don't be concerned about it being the perfect guitar. If you're a committed guitarist and find you enjoy electric, it won't be long before your collection starts growing.

[br]This girl has some anecdotal advice to share stemming from her own journey over the past three years which you might be able to relate to. Rachel started with a Squier Strat, but moved to an expensive (& very nice) Ibanez once she knew the direction she was headed because that was [u]and is[/u] a good fit for her figuratively and literally. OTOH, drop dead gorgeous a guitar that it is, I wouldn't buy what she has because it's a shred neck really orientated to metal which is what she's into. It's a personal thing. i.e. I'd rather chew my own arm off and club myself to death with it than play or ever inflict the agony of listening to metal upon myself.

Personally, my favourite axe is the Tele, although I use all three of the common tools in the electric toolbox. Here using one playing one of my fav rock songs, is a gal who thinks so too.

# 9
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/28/2019 11:57 am

This might help Yogi

Whats an aux input?

# 10
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/28/2019 2:25 pm
Originally Posted by: yogijules

This is suuper-helpful! Thanks so much!

Sounds like it's mostly about getting something comfortable to play, [u]as tone is determined more by amps and pedals than the guitar?[/u]

NO!!! Look back up to my post above. After you get into this electrical (dark?) side more you will learn about what is called the "signal chain". But, distilled down, from the millisecond you strike the strings and the pick-ups turn those vibrations into electrons until those electrons are converted into sound coming out the speakers, your tone is modified.

The signal chain includes your pick choice, type of pickups, guitar type (hollow body vs. solidbody, etc.), pedals, amp (tube-type vs. solid state, amp vs digital, etc.)

Is tone determined by amps and pedals? Absolutely. But the issue I have with your statement is the word "more". Everything along that chain effects tone.

I remain of the opinion that the first, and possibly most significant, determinant of tone is the guitar and which pick-ups it uses, humbucker type or single coil type.

This is why I suggested seeing what your guitar idols are playing.

And this is only a starting point. My idols have always been SRV and Clapton. Strat Guys. My second "good "guitar was a Strat. I played it a lot. But over the years I've migrated more toward the humbucker tone.

Purely to confuse you, some manufacturers are producing "hybrids". Fender makes their HSS which has a humbucker and two single coils. Gibson makes guitars that you cfan "switch" from Hum to single coil.

I still encourage you to look at your idols for a starting point.

And I discourage you from using Craigs List. With "starter" guitars like a Fender Squier or made in Mexico Strat so reasonably priced there is no reason to buy a potential problem some someone you don't know. Go to a local dealer with a liberal return policy.

Years ago Santa knew that I wanted to learn guitar. She brought me a Yamaha Pacifica and a tiny little practice amp after I retired. She didn't make it in the shop at the Norht Pole but got it from a local store here. She didn't pay more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars for the kit. Over the years I have acquired more guitaars and amps and pedals, etc. Some would say too many. But I will go back and play that Yamaha on occasion and it plays great!!!

You can get a great starter electric guitar now for little investment.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 11
beachyogijules
beachyogijules
08/28/2019 10:36 pm

Sooo helpful! Thank you all! Even a video, Bill - nice touch!

That answers my questions for now. I'm not in a rush to buy one but want the info because knowing me, I'll decide it's time to get one and two hours later I'll be driving it home.

You have made that dream a pending reality for me : )

# 12
K-rad
K-rad
08/29/2019 10:15 pm

There is so much great stuff in here! There is an overwhelming amount of choice and then when you add amps the choices grow exponentially! This thread is so great at addressing the struggles of being a total beginner and being overwhlemed with so much that I don't yet know about what I should and shouldn't be concerned about.

I've been thinking about getting an electric guitar- more because I'm a night owl and I find most of my practicing happens between midnight and 2am and I find myself focusing on how to do things the most absolute quietly possible than anything else on my accoustic guitar- which kind of dampens the fun of practice (tiny apartment, paper thin walls).

What is becoming painfully clear is that to make a good purchase probably means going to a place and actually trying guitars out for fit, feel and sound. That'll prevent me from buying anythinng for a super long time.

# 13
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
08/30/2019 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: K-radI've been thinking about getting an electric guitar- more because I'm a night owl and I find most of my practicing happens between midnight and 2am[/quote]

Hi K-rad

If that's the case, you won't really need even a 20W practice amp. A set of decent studio headsets, preferably closed type, and either a portable practice amp like Blackstar's Fly 3 or BOSS' Katana Mini would be perfect. Alternatively you could use a VOX AmPlug, but IME (I have a NUX AmPlug equivalent) I prefer the overall functionality and versatility of my Fly 3, ....or buy both. For headset use, all current practice amps these days will have a headset port out and mp3 port in aka aux out & aux in.

If choosing between them, the AmPlugs are almost as expensive as a Fly 3, so the choice is a no brainer AFAIC. That's coming from someone from who owns and has hands on exp beyond initial buyer excitement novelty using both with electric and e-acoustic along with the option of a few other amps in my home studio.

[quote=K-rad]What is becoming painfully clear is that to make a good purchase probably means going to a place and actually trying guitars out for fit, feel and sound. That'll prevent me from buying anythinng for a super long time.

Reasonable caution is a positive attribute [u]provided[/u] it doesn't cripple the decision making process turning it into procrastination. Sooner or later you will have to 'dive in the water' if you're going to embark on the journey of learning to play guitar or experimenting with electric guitar if you already play. Better sooner AFAIC, as guitar is one of those things with a time needed to assimilate skill acquisition curve.

In my own case, when I bought my first guitar after such a long hiatus, I had had hands experience of acoustic and electric in my youth, so I had some idea of characteristics which were important to me, and where to start looking.

[br]If you can't try, and remember that [u]info overload[/u] and [u]too much choice[/u] is just as confusing and bewildering as none at all. Apply logic and a measure of discernment to advice offered on reasonably priced and versatile, and you simply can't go wrong.

There is a lot of choice out there, especially in the US, but as a bullet proof go to, a contemporary Squier Affinity Tele or Strat body and neck will be a good fretting fit for most of average height and build, and make a superb no risk first or later guitar, especially the Tele in my book. Ibanez and Epiphone et al are other popular choices, but other than a preferred or inarguably sexy look something Ibanez in particular promote heavily, it's just difficult to beat what I've recommended on value and performance for the $$$. One doesn't need to spend a lot of money to get a perfectly playable, truly enjoyable to play guitar.

Better still, another bang for the buck no brainer and errantly labeled a "beginners" guitar because it is so popular within that demographic for good reason, is a Yamaha Pacifica HSS, a contemporary take on the venerable Strat. Full disclosure (I own and play three of these in HSS config of varying segments of hardware & PUP configs, but they're just a few of many so any preferential bias is moderated with comparative balance). The alnico V model PAC112V in particular is incredibly versatile, beautifully built and finished, [u]incredible at its pricepoint.[/u] Stage ready is understatement. The 112J is even less expensive and sounds magic. I really like the tone from decent ceramic PUPs too. The only people I could perceive not loving any Pacifica are those with giant hands, as its string spacing is tighter than most -relatively.

[br]Unless buying second hand from a trusted source, any of those mentioned are so inexpensive, why would one?

[br]Just pick any one of those three in your preferred colour and shape, dive in inexpensively, get playing, enjoy, and buy that dream guitar of your imagination later when you have sufficient time hands on to determine what that'll be, because it'll change with growth on your journey.

Above all else, really enjoy everything about the journey, because having the time and energy to commit outside your career and or any other activity it might be in competition with notwithstanding, that's the key to maintaining motivation.

# 14
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
08/30/2019 1:54 pm

Well oh my goodness this is a topic with so many sides, and while I will normally defer to manX I do have a different take on:

"Unless buying second hand from a trusted source, any of those mentioned are so inexpensive, why would one?"

For me, it's more than just a transaction. I really enjoy haunting the music swaps. Thanks to my son I have become somewhat of a regular on Saturday mornings... just browsing, talking over coffee. Most know me by name now. I get to mess with stuff, buy something if the price is right and I am interested, and at the same time I know because the original purchaser took the initial "bite" on devaluation, I will probably come out ok if I want to part with something.

So many angles to this. Have fun!

# 15
hobinlobo
Full Access
hobinlobo
Full Access
08/30/2019 10:17 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

this would've fixed that - inexpensively.

I wouldn't disagree with this. I did quite like the feel of the guitar. So it is quite possible I could have changed the pick ups and been happy with it.

# 16
hobinlobo
Full Access
hobinlobo
Full Access
08/30/2019 10:24 pm
Originally Posted by: K-rad

What is becoming painfully clear is that to make a good purchase probably means going to a place and actually trying guitars out for fit, feel and sound. That'll prevent me from buying anythinng for a super long time.

There could be another alternative. Identify somewhere that has a good returns policy (and will allow you to return it even there is nothing wrong with it, and you've just changed your mind). Then identify a guitar you think you'll like, knowing you can return it if it turns out that it just isn't for you.

# 17
K-rad
K-rad
08/31/2019 10:23 pm
Originally Posted by: hobinlobo

There could be another alternative. Identify somewhere that has a good returns policy (and will allow you to return it even there is nothing wrong with it, and you've just changed your mind). Then identify a guitar you think you'll like, knowing you can return it if it turns out that it just isn't for you.

lol! I am terrible about returning things. I feel too sheepish.

But based on this thread and some more research I think I have my eye on my first electric guitar. Hopefully, I can put aside enough cash between now and Christmas. And it’ll also give me time to change my mind 1000 more times

# 18
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
09/15/2019 3:42 pm

I know this thread is getting a little stale. But Sweetwater just posted this on their website. Anyone looking may find this helpful:

15 Best Guitars for Beginners 2019.

Even if one doesn't buy one of those guitars recommend the selection process and descriptions will probably serve you well. Of the 15 recommended I think 8 are electric.

# 19
ak7788
Full Access
ak7788
Full Access
09/15/2019 7:14 pm

Some very good answers in here about what to buy. I have a few suggestions to complement them. A lot of stores like guitar center and musician's friend have brand new guitars at discounts ( you can also call to get a discount on most good brands) . You can probably get a very nice squier the same price a used. Haven't had good selection and prices on amazon - you can call and ask for a discount for some. products. Google is your friend once you have chosen a model. You can also browse google express/shopping.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.