What to upgrade 1st; amp or guitar?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Gear Discussion > What to upgrade 1st; amp or guitar?

ian.thompson26

Full Access

I've been playing just a few months, so still very much a beginner but feel I'm ready to upgrade both Amp & Guitar. Rock & Blues are my preferred genres. Currently have a Yamaha ERG 121 and a marshall MG15CF amp.

Thinking about upgrading to Boss Katana 50 amp, which gets great reviews & also to Ibanez S series guitar (£300/400 price point).

Any advice on whether to upgrade amp or guitar 1st? Or just wait until I can afford to upgrade both together?

Any thoughts/advice most welcome

Thanks.

Ian Thompson

I've been playing just a few months, so still very much a beginner but feel I'm ready to upgrade both Amp & Guitar. Rock & Blues are my preferred genres. Currently have a Yamaha ERG 121 and a marshall MG15CF amp.

Thinking about upgrading to Boss Katana 50 amp, which gets great reviews & also to Ibanez S series guitar (£300/400 price point).

Any advice on whether to upgrade amp or guitar 1st? Or just wait until I can afford to upgrade both together?

Any thoughts/advice most welcome

Thanks.

Ian Thompson

fuzzb0x

Full Access

If you are considering the Boss Katana amp I would personally upgrade your amp first, those Katana amps are loaded with cool features and effects so you will have a lot of fun with that amp and your current guitar whilst you save enough to upgrade your guitar later.

If you are considering the Boss Katana amp I would personally upgrade your amp first, those Katana amps are loaded with cool features and effects so you will have a lot of fun with that amp and your current guitar whilst you save enough to upgrade your guitar later.

ian.thompson26

Full Access

Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

Thanks for the advice

Sasha-B

Full Access

I second fuzzb0x. upgrade the amp. you will feel like you have a new guitar with the Katana.

I second fuzzb0x. upgrade the amp. you will feel like you have a new guitar with the Katana.

William MG

Full Access

I would actually be sure the guitar is one you want to hold and have in your hands. If you like what you have I would say go for the amp, but to me it starts with the right guitar. A guitar that will make you want to spend time with it.

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Breaking the Law - fun, fast paced song.

Lesson here

Honky Tonk Women - (Not Made Easy!) I will lick this song someday

Lesson here

I would actually be sure the guitar is one you want to hold and have in your hands. If you like what you have I would say go for the amp, but to me it starts with the right guitar. A guitar that will make you want to spend time with it.

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Breaking the Law - fun, fast paced song.

Lesson here

Honky Tonk Women - (Not Made Easy!) I will lick this song someday

Lesson here