Neck question

Dilbert79
Dilbert79
05/17/2019 3:34 pm

hello,

I am a new player. I started two months ago. I'm making good progress and I've started to realize that I really like to put my thumb over the fingerboard and mute the low E and sometimes even the A when I'm playing. My current guitar (late 90s strat copy by aria) makes it particularly difficult to get the A thumb muted because the neck is kind of a thick C shape.

My question is are there any neck styles that are more suitable for thumb over playing, or any brands that are known to have thinner necks accross their product line? I'm looking to get an electric guitar that will allow me to do this more comfortably. It's not physically possible for me to get the thumb as far down as the A string without muting the high E on the other end on my current guitar. Neck is just too thick.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/17/2019 7:33 pm

Hi Dilbert79,

This is a pretty good question. You might want to look at a guitar that has a slimmer neck profile you can wrap your thumb over the top. I don't necessarily recommend trying to consistently play with your thumb like this as it may lead to some strain on your hand. But if you have big enoug hands and can do it comfortably, that's okay too.

I would recommend strat-style guitars since they have slimmer necks, but you may have to just try out a bunch of different guitars at your nearest shop.

More about thumb playing though, check out this lesson on how to play with your thumb. Anders teaches this lesson and it's pretty neat!

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=27964

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Tomas E
Tomas E
10/12/2019 10:14 pm

If you want thinn neck so can i suggest to take a look on Ibanez. They have the thinnest necks so far i know. I love my Ibanez guitars for their thin necks.

# 3
yodagator
yodagator
10/13/2019 6:55 pm

You might try a 1 5/8 nut width instead of a 1 11/16

Depends on the shape of the neck too

Go to a big guitar store and get details as to what the nut width is and what shape of neck

is being used

Try a lot until you find one that fits your hand size

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/necks

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.