Tubes vs Solid State

Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
04/20/2019 1:29 pm

I replied to an article in the GT Blog on gear. Not once, but twice my comment was deleted. Now, it wasnt offensive, or deragatory, just pointing out some incorrect information.

Here is my comment, you be the judge.

QUOTE [Solid-state amps are digital, which means if something goes wrong, it’s really difficult to pinpoint where the problems lie, that is unless you’re an electrician or something]

[br]This statement is totally wrong, and its obvious the author doesn't understand the difference between analog and digital. As a matter of fact, most solid state amps have analog circuitry. The main difference between tube and analog amps is the devices that are used for amplification. Tubes (or valves for you Brits) are voltage controlled devices, as opposed to transistors which are current controlled devices. It may be a surprise to some, but there are amps out there that have hybrid circuitry, meaning they use both tubes and transistors.

[br]The amps that contain digital circuitry are mostly amps that provide amp modeling and/or digital effects. But even those contain analog circuitry for amplification purposes.

[br]For those who are interested, here is a brief explanation of the terms analog and digital

.[br]ANALOG: All sounds we hear are actually compressions and rarefactions of the air that make our eardrum vibrate. If you drew those movements on chart, you would have a graphical representation of the sound, commonly known as a waveform. A waveform typically has amplitude (loudness). frequency (pitch), and harmonic content (tone). Guitars use devices called pickups to translate string vibration to an electrical signal. This signal is very weak, in the order of millivolts. To be useful, several stages of amplification are required. Each stage of amplification reproduces the original signal faithfully, except with more gain (volume).

[br]Thus the signal in the chain is an analogy of the original signal, albeit it may have been slightly modified by tone shaping circuits. This is true for tube amps, and most solid state amps.

[br]DIGITAL: In digital systems, a waveform is converted to a string of numbers (this is called Analog to Digital conversion, A/D), Then, mathematical algorithms are used to modify certain parameters. After they are modified, the numbers are converted back to a waveform (this is called Digital to Analog conversion, D/A).

[br]Where and when this conversion takes place depends on the amp's design. One thing that is certain, all amps contain some degree of analog circuitry , if only to prepare the signal for the A/D process and also to convert it back so we can hear it.

[br]On a last note, you don't need to be an electrician or something (author's words, not mine lol) to work on guitar amps, all you need is a good understanding of basic electronics and to be able to work safely. Tube amps have very high voltages that can kill you, so be careful out there (I sound like sergeant Phil in Hill Street Blues lol).

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
04/22/2019 5:33 pm

Hi Izzy,

Thanks for pointing this out in my article. First off, I'm not sure why your comments were deleted. We don't delete comments in the blog article, so that's a little odd!

The article is meant to be a very basic overview of the main differences of solid-state and tube amps. It's clear you have a lot of knowledge here, and I appreciate you pointing out the differences in great detail!

With that being said, how do you suggest I edit that sentence you quoted?

-Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/22/2019 11:50 pm
Originally Posted by: Izzy Phoreal...you don't need to be an electrician or something (author's words, not mine lol) to work on guitar amps, all you need is a good understanding of basic electronics and to be able to work safely...

Regardless of past sentences in past posts, the one above stands out for me. Why? See this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TooYpmELEVQ . Doug is my BIL and he was an architect in the Dallas area when he started building amps as a hobby. Now he has a lot of good stories about his work as lead designer for PRS amps. At least I think they're better than his architect stories.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
04/25/2019 1:13 pm
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

With that being said, how do you suggest I edit that sentence you quoted?

-Billy

Hi Billy,

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, offending anyone was never my intention.

I just wanted to clarify one of your statemeents. Otherwise, it was a great article, i enjoyed reading it.

Its up to you if you want to make any changes to it.

You could just say that tube amps are easier to repair due to their simple designs. You can often figure out an tube amp without a schematic. Not often true with solid state amps, especialy if they have a lot of speciaized intergrated circuits.

Keep on picking...

Izzy

# 4
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
04/25/2019 1:54 pm

Hi John,

There is a big difference between being educated and being smart. Of all the programs and courses I took in my life, I've learned one important skill, and that's the ability learn.

Over the years you develop a method of assimilating information, a method of finding the simple in the complex. Same applies when we talk about amps. You pull out the chassis, and there is bunch of components connected by a plethora of wires. But that complicated maze ( as it would seem to a novice) is actually made up of many smaller, and simpler circuits.

I like to use the black box paradigm, where you treat the unknown as a black box. The functionality of that box is determined by observing what goes in and what comes out. A good example would be your car. You may not know the intricacies of the engine, but you do know from experience that when you press the accelerator pedal, your engine will rev up.

Most tube amps follow basically the same design, with some alterations in the tube biasing and tone stacks. So by observation, with the right components, you can build your own amp.

I do agree with Billy that tube amps are easier to service than solid state amps. And its for the simple reason that there is a lot less intergration. Troubleshooting circuits which use a lot of intergrated circuits are more of a challenge, especially if you don't have a schematic.

John, I'm just curious, what did you mean by: Doug is my BIL ?

Keep on picking...

Izzy

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/25/2019 2:33 pm

Doug's my [u]b[/u]rother [u]i[/u]n [u]l[/u]aw. But he tries to keep it a secret.

Keep havin' fun.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
04/25/2019 2:46 pm

Cool John, too bad there are no family discounts, otherwise I'd become his brother right away lol!

Keep on pickin'

Izzy

# 7
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/25/2019 5:04 pm

Meanwhile, in western Montana...

Right after my BIL was snatched from Dallas by PRS, I ran into a boyhood friend and fellow musician of Paul Reed Smith (PRS Guitars). Up until a couple years ago, Smith's buddy was running my favorite music store/guitar shop here in Missoula.

The two went to school in Bowie, MD where I lived a few years after them and before I came to Montana. Anymore coincidences and I'll be entering the Twilight Zone.

john

-- Chet Atkins
# 8
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
Izzy Phoreal
Full Access
04/26/2019 4:28 am

That's a cool story John, thanks for sharing.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.