Jazz III picks

jsn.hgl
jsn.hgl
03/31/2019 4:12 am

Anybody like these? Did you find them hard to get used to?

I bought a bag of 1.14s at the recommendation of a surf guitar forum. I am unsure if I like them. They are so damn little!

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
03/31/2019 10:19 am

I have a bag of red 1.4s. OK for scales and licks on electric, although I too find their size a grip challenge. I suspect I'll find more use for them in future when my focus shifts. I don't know how anyone with large hands and proportionate fingers manages!??

Personally, when I find the need for something smaller than a standard sized pick of similar material and thickness to the Dunlop Jazz III, I prefer Joyo's marginally larger JPK-01 of very similar shape, material and thickness.

# 2
jsn.hgl
jsn.hgl
04/01/2019 6:33 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat

I have a bag of red 1.4s. OK for scales and licks on electric, although I too find their size a grip challenge. I suspect I'll find more use for them in future when my focus shifts. I don't know how anyone with large hands and proportionate fingers manages!??

Personally, when I find the need for something smaller than a standard sized pick of similar material and thickness to the Dunlop Jazz III, I prefer Joyo's marginally larger JPK-01 of very similar shape, material and thickness.

Those look cool, I think a buddy of mine uses them.

with the Jazz IIIs, I think I’ll keep working with them for a while. Oddly enough, since they are 1.14s, using them has made me crave heavier picks for guitar. I have some big stubbies around for bass playing and I’m loving the 1.0 big stubby for guitar now. My pick of choice had been .73. What a change! I like the tighter, quieter attack from the heavier pics.

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/06/2019 3:50 am
Originally Posted by: jsn.hgl
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Those look cool, I think a buddy of mine uses them.

with the Jazz IIIs, I think I’ll keep working with them for a while. Oddly enough, since they are 1.14s, using them has made me crave heavier picks for guitar. I have some big stubbies around for bass playing and I’m loving the 1.0 big stubby for guitar now. My pick of choice had been .73. What a change! I like the tighter, quieter attack from the heavier pics.

I've been using Jazz III's for decades. So I guess I can say that I know a bit about them.

For metal and accurate picking, they're great picks and largely why I use them often. I don't much play metal anymore and more in a twangy/acoustic vibe. Still, I do sometimes needs a solid, accurate pick and I am very comfortable with it. I would say not to do what I did, only use Jazz III's. Because I do alot of acoustic and stum stuff, the Jazsa III's are too stiff to really play a sweet strum on an acoustic.

I just bought a variety pack of different thicknesses and styles of Dunlop picks but all of them are a 'standard' size. I need to see what actually works for me now. REmember, I only played Jazz III's for a few decades. Now a normal sized pick is like playing with a dinner plate.

Do youself a favor and regularly switch picks as the style dictates. You don't want to get 'out of practice' with a normal pick.

My thoughts.

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
04/06/2019 6:15 am

Yer that's the impression I get of Jazz IIIs too Jeff. Great for accuracy and attack picking strings for scale lead work or two note power chords. When I get around to focusing on the former, I'm sure they'll get more regular use. Right now I still prefer the Dunlop dinner plates or Joyos for power chord work or strong attack. Light nylon strummers of various thicknesses in regular size for strumming, although I use everything including Delrins and engineered Torties to stay adaptable.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.