Thin Profile Solid Body Electric?

Dr0xium
Dr0xium
03/17/2019 8:16 pm

I’ve been doing a lot of research and looking around for my first guitar purchase. (I say my first purchase because my first is an eBay squire by fender from a decade ago that got beat up by a teenager long before I took my first baby steps on it...)

I’ve gotten to the place where I am pretty sure that now that I have listened, learned, and started to dink around a little myself, I want:

- Solid Body

- Body shape like either Les Paul / Telecaster or Stratocaster

- Either Humbucker and 2 single coils OR 2 humbuckers (bridge/neck)

(Looking for a little bit of versatility but leaning towards rock.)

- Looking to spend $500 or less

- If I were to get my druthers on aesthetics it would be flamed maple, quilted maple, or burled in a deep blue or gradient to deep/dark blue.

- Getting a few guitars in my hands while shopping around, I’ve realized being a big guy learning guitar, thinner bodies are easier for me to keep in the right position and are more ”playable” for me.

The thing I am hanging up on, it seems like the Ibanez S621QM checks all the boxes, with the “standard” profile of the body being pretty much exactly what I want. But finding one in stock at $499 or less has been a challenge.

1) Any ideas?

2) Any models given the above that I should definitely double check before I pull the trigger?

-Dr0xium

One day, Ill be able to play a song. I hope.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
03/18/2019 6:08 pm

Hi there,

sounds like you might want to get a Strat HSS style. You can probably find a used HSS strat for less than $500!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Dr0xium
Dr0xium
03/19/2019 10:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Brandon Esbach

Unless you've already chosen, you could look at an ESP-LTD EC-256FM (FM is for Flame Maple, you can get in non-FM as well). It is heavier than a Les Paul, but comes with coil tapping so you can get that strat-like sound; and comes in HH configuration....

Thanks, I'll take a look. My "ebay special" craptacular Squire/Fender Strat needs to see the business end of my miter saw.

The Ibanez "standard" series seems to have a thinner body profile which might help the ergonomics. I'll run to one of the stores around here and see how I like them both. Ultimately as much as I like to support the local stores, the guys at sweetwater.com have been amazing to me over the years doing sound engineering for SMB.

Maybe Ill throw down on some accessories at the local place or something :)

-Dr0xium

One day, Ill be able to play a song. I hope.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.