Acoustic Guitar Recommendation

RickiSparks
RickiSparks
01/26/2019 12:30 am

I've recently started playing guitar. I've moved across from ukulele. I've always struggled with guitars because, even for a woman, I've got smaller hands.

At the music shop I bought a little travel size guitar and it's working well for me but I'm keen to move to a larger size guitar for that warmer, fuller sound. I'd like to use this guitar for what it was intended for rather than having it as my main instrument.

I'd like some recommendations for a guitar between $600-1200 that would suit for smaller hands. Happy with a full size guitar if the neck is more narrow or thinner so my hand doesn't have to wrap around quite so much.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can give me any tips or ideas.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
01/26/2019 2:18 am

Yamaha currently offer two acoustic guitars with necks which will meet your stated preqs.

The F310 which is generally considered a beginners' guitar because of its marketing and pricepoint. It's a pure acoustic Dreadnought and loud. As long as Dreadnought size and shape fits, it's perfectly fine for learning and playing at the skill level expected of those first few years.

The APX 600, but which is a slimline cutaway electric acoustic. I own one of these. I love it. Brighter, not as loud, but still projects well in any room, and of course with integral amplification when louder is required.

As you move up their respective status segments, the scale length, string tension, neck profile, radius, string spacings, and sometimes nut widths, all change, so e.g. APX 700 & 800 although constructed of different materials, doesn't mean better all round, but different. Be aware of that.

Offerings from other brands for smaller hands. Look to their neck profiles, scale length and string spacing in particular. Most acoustic guitars have a not disimilar fingerboard radius.

As a player with smaller hands, I also have a Cort Concert acoustic with a modern C but constant profile neck and 11mm string spacing with a scooped bridge for lower tension & greater sustain among others. I like playing it very much too.

Design implementation should be of a higher priority in the first few years than what prestigous wood a guitar is made of, kudos a label on the headstock affords, or price, the latter not at all an indicator of the foremost needed characteristics in a guitar which fits a person or optimal for the learning and progress purpose. Sure a higher the price is usually an indicator of increased material, mech and overall build quality compromised by the complexity of demand and brand perception marketing, but it's no indicator of fit.

We'll always play a guitar which is a good fit better than one which isn't regardless price prestige.

# 2
RickiSparks
RickiSparks
01/26/2019 7:58 am

Thanks for that. I actually looked at a Cort but hadn't heard anyone mention those.

I'll look into those!

# 3
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
01/30/2019 5:03 pm

Hi Ricki,

[br]I am a small woman, small hands (average small)

After trial and error, I purchased a Guild 240e, slim c neck profile, nut width 1" 11/16.

For christmas, i was gifted a Guild M20- C shape neck profile, nut width 1" 3/4.

I love them both (different sounds) and can practice for hours without my shoulders getting sore and I can make the stretch.

If you have a guitar store near you, try them out.

I have heard good things about the Cort, too.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 4
RickiSparks
RickiSparks
03/10/2019 5:13 am

Thanks Sasha-B I've been using my phone for a couple weeks to do lessons as I've been travelling and hadn't checked back on forums.

I've decided I'm going to stick with my little travel guitar for a while as I'm saving up then I'm going to go in and play a few. I was looking at a Taylor Big Baby, the Cort that was recommended here and a couple other Grand Auditorium body guitars.

I think I'm going to go for a cutaway so I can play some more high end picking stuff as well.

# 5
Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
03/11/2019 8:48 am

Taylor Big Baby is a good choice. Also, the Taylor GS mini, if it is comfortable. I own the GS mini as well and find it comfortable to play as well.

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.