Junk or user error?

catmeier
catmeier
12/09/2018 8:22 pm

I bought a Squier Strat short neck that came with a frontman 10g amp. Problem is I don't like the sound. I've tried every setting possible but I always have a vibration/reverb. I bought it online, but should I take it to the guitar shop to see if it's setup right ? Should I get a better amp? Or is it just me? I've been learning for 3 months now, and will only be playing at home.

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
12/09/2018 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: catmeier

I bought a Squier Strat short neck that came with a frontman 10g amp. Problem is I don't like the sound. I've tried every setting possible but I always have a vibration/reverb. I bought it online, but should I take it to the guitar shop to see if it's setup right ? Should I get a better amp? Or is it just me? I've been learning for 3 months now, and will only be playing at home.

I'd say take it to a shop and get a tech to give it a setup and see how you get on from there.

# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/09/2018 10:10 pm

From your description, more info required.

Reverb is an effect. As I am given to understand from a quick Google, the Frontman 10G doesn't have reverb, but does have overdrive, another name for distortion, usually moderate e.g super crunch to OD1 unless offered with a number of level settings.

[br]Are you referring to this, or to some problem with the strings where one either buzzes, goes off note as it resonates, or won't sound cleanly with overdrive off/disabled?

[br]It's not improbable with the Squier if it's a Bullet or Affinity, that it may have either a hardware or setup issue. Factory QC on them ain't the greatest, and at the price point, store setup other than a 60 second once over and strings to tune at best is a non-event. Buying online depending upon source, chances are it come from the factory, to distro, to etail to you without being out of the box (OOTB). Did it arrive to you with the protective paper still covering the strings. IDK if Fender do that? Yamaha do. If so, factory fresh.

You're not happy with it, so there probably is a real issue.

If you don't feel sufficiently confident you can diagnose what's happening yourself, find a shop and pay their tech to go over it for you. It could be something as simple as the neck relief needing adjustment to raise the action a little and prevent buzzing or the nut needing graphite lube.

[br]A Bullet or Affinity set up properly should still sound OK. The Frontman 10G is what it is. I recommend you identify what the problem you are perceiving is first before buying anything else. GL with it.

[br]

# 3
catmeier
catmeier
12/09/2018 11:45 pm

Thanks guys. The more model I have is the Squier short scale Strat. The problem does seem to come from the low e and a string. Think I will take it in for a look.

# 4
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
12/10/2018 12:04 am
Originally Posted by: catmeier

The problem does seem to come from the low e and a string. Think I will take it in for a look.

If you're getting buzzing or compromised fretting on the 5th and 6th strings, it's soundling more and more like a minor adjustment of the action either at the respective saddles or via neck relief might be all that's needed assuming the frets are level. Any reputable shop with someone in service with a clue can check all that for you.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.