High gloss tru-oil finish

Guitar Tricks Forum > Ask a Guitar Tech > High gloss tru-oil finish

bookas58

Full Access

Hope this is the right place for this.

For all you guys that are building your own guitars and don't want to go to the expense of buying a spray outfit to paint your new creation only to have it collect dust afterwards .

My first project using Birchwood Casey Tru-oil came out ok , but not as glossy as I would have liked . So while the next guitar was under construction , I did a bit of research and a lot of thinking about how to get a real gloss ,

The body was sanded to p600 grit after grain filling and the then stained with water based dye and left for a day to to dry . Next up , tru - oil straight from the bottle wipe on with kitchen paper towel , allowed to dry for a day and then lightly rubbed down with 0000 synthetic steel wool pad . I repeated the process for two more days .

The next step was thin the oil down to 60 Tru-oil / 40 mineral spirits and apply in thin coats , reapplying as soon as it was not sticky when you touched it . I live in a sub- tropical climate and at the moment it is pretty warm and the humidity is not too high , so I was putting on 5 coats a day . I am retired so time is not a critical factor . After each day I allowed it to dry over night and at the start of each day rubbed it back lightly with the steel wool pads before applying more coats . I ended up with about 40 thin coats on it .

Left it 3 weeks to cure , if you can still smell the oil when you put your nose to it it isn't cured . Then light level sanding with p3000 grit and mineral oil . After that back to the synthetic steel wool for a light buff , followed by Tripoli powder and mineral oil on a felt pad . Tripoli powder is an ultra fine abrasive , not sure what the equivalent Rottenstone is .By this time it was pretty glossy . After I gave it a coat of Renaissance wax , you could see your face in it .

On the last build , I used Liberon Black Bison wax which is supposed to be the best , Renaissance makes it look like cheap crap . Renaissance is what they use in museums for conservation , a little goes a long way .

I am not real sure what the grits I used equate to for you guys in the States , but there should be info out there on the net . The synthetic steel wool pads were 0000 Norton Bear Tex , I think ScotchBrite White is the same , but don't quote me .

Hope this helps anybody building their own guitars

Forgot to add , I used a micro- gloss scratch remover before applying the wax

Hope this is the right place for this.

For all you guys that are building your own guitars and don't want to go to the expense of buying a spray outfit to paint your new creation only to have it collect dust afterwards .

My first project using Birchwood Casey Tru-oil came out ok , but not as glossy as I would have liked . So while the next guitar was under construction , I did a bit of research and a lot of thinking about how to get a real gloss ,

The body was sanded to p600 grit after grain filling and the then stained with water based dye and left for a day to to dry . Next up , tru - oil straight from the bottle wipe on with kitchen paper towel , allowed to dry for a day and then lightly rubbed down with 0000 synthetic steel wool pad . I repeated the process for two more days .

The next step was thin the oil down to 60 Tru-oil / 40 mineral spirits and apply in thin coats , reapplying as soon as it was not sticky when you touched it . I live in a sub- tropical climate and at the moment it is pretty warm and the humidity is not too high , so I was putting on 5 coats a day . I am retired so time is not a critical factor . After each day I allowed it to dry over night and at the start of each day rubbed it back lightly with the steel wool pads before applying more coats . I ended up with about 40 thin coats on it .

Left it 3 weeks to cure , if you can still smell the oil when you put your nose to it it isn't cured . Then light level sanding with p3000 grit and mineral oil . After that back to the synthetic steel wool for a light buff , followed by Tripoli powder and mineral oil on a felt pad . Tripoli powder is an ultra fine abrasive , not sure what the equivalent Rottenstone is .By this time it was pretty glossy . After I gave it a coat of Renaissance wax , you could see your face in it .

On the last build , I used Liberon Black Bison wax which is supposed to be the best , Renaissance makes it look like cheap crap . Renaissance is what they use in museums for conservation , a little goes a long way .

I am not real sure what the grits I used equate to for you guys in the States , but there should be info out there on the net . The synthetic steel wool pads were 0000 Norton Bear Tex , I think ScotchBrite White is the same , but don't quote me .

Hope this helps anybody building their own guitars

Forgot to add , I used a micro- gloss scratch remover before applying the wax

Guitar Tricks Admin

Administrator

Hi bookas58,

Since this is more of a technical question that has to do with guitar building, and trouble-shooting, I've moved the message to "Ask a Guitar Tech."

Hopefully Stephen will be able to answer this for you!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

Hi bookas58,

Since this is more of a technical question that has to do with guitar building, and trouble-shooting, I've moved the message to "Ask a Guitar Tech."

Hopefully Stephen will be able to answer this for you!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.

Guitar Tech

Thanks for Sharing

Thank you for sharing this very informative posting! Our community benefits greatly, when we all share the most useful knowledge that we've individually accumulated.

Stephen White

Thanks for Sharing

Thank you for sharing this very informative posting! Our community benefits greatly, when we all share the most useful knowledge that we've individually accumulated.

Stephen White