EQ Pedals

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
11/02/2018 1:23 pm

.. And how to use them.

Well, that my question, how to use them? :D

I recently bought an MXR Ten Band EQ pedal because I'm fed up with trying to get a decent tight distortion sound out of my amp (Orange Crush 35RT and I play Schecter Humbuckers). I don't like the dirty channel of the amp, so I'm using OCD & TS9 Pedal. So, with all honesty, I'm lost with all the numbers and frequencies and such.

Some guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

# 1
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
11/02/2018 3:15 pm

It may help to have a look at this video

How the use an EQ pedal

Shane from the YouTube channel In The Blues gives some good advice.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2018 9:06 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

Well, that my question, how to use them? :D

[/quote]

That mostly depends on what kind of sound you want. Can you name a reference point? A certain song, guitarist, band that has the specific tone you are aiming for?

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdI'm fed up with trying to get a decent tight distortion sound out of my amp (Orange Crush 35RT and I play Schecter Humbuckers).
[/quote]

First & foremost, most of your sound comes from 3 things in this order: technique, guitar, amp. With that in mind, I'm assuming you can play the songs, riffs, ideas that you want to play, but your equipment can't quite get you there. Your guitar is capable of heavy rock or metal tone.

The Orange amp is the final piece in the chain. I know those can get many different sounds. But I also know it's a relatively small amp with one 10" speaker. So that might be a problem. This guy seems to think it's fine for a heavy gain tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcXVoLqXRg

[quote=jasim.hd]

I don't like the dirty channel of the amp, so I'm using OCD & TS9 Pedal.

That right there seems to indicate a serious problem. The vast majority of a distorted, heavy gainy tone relies on the dirt channel of your amp as a base. If that's not happening for you, then it's really hard to get there no matter how many pedals or effects you put in the signal chain. It might be better to look into a more appropriate amp.

And if you are running an OCD and a Tubescreamer, wow! That's probably too much gain overloading the amp anyway. :)

My suggestion is to go to a local music store with a larger variety of amps & tell them what you are after. First thought is that you want a gain tone directly from the amp that gets you close to what you want. And usually a 12" speaker is what you need for a good gain tone.

For example, check out the Korg Katana 50. I love mine. And this guy seems to be able to gets some serious metal tone from his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3vmNtJDDg

After you get a decent amp as a basis of your tone, then you can add something like an OCD as the icing on the cake.

[quote=jasim.hd] So, with all honesty, I'm lost with all the numbers and frequencies and such.

Have a look at this video on how to dial in a modern metal tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJLnfaw7I-g

He does a good job of explaining what he's doing & how to use a boost to tighen up the sound of an already decent overdriven amp.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.