Locking tuners, never had them before.

samdennis
samdennis
10/19/2018 3:02 pm

I have had many different guitars over the years, but never before one with locking tuners. My question is do they work any differently than a regular tuner? I notice that the strings were not wrapped around the post , but instead it looks to me like they were "locked" with the thumbwheel and then clipped off. Am I right that that is how they work? Any other difference?. They are Gotoh tuners on an Ibanez Iron Label series guitar. Thanks!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/19/2018 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: samdennis

I have had many different guitars over the years, but never before one with locking tuners. My question is do they work any differently than a regular tuner? I notice that the strings were not wrapped around the post , but instead it looks to me like they were "locked" with the thumbwheel and then clipped off. Am I right that that is how they work? Any other difference?. They are Gotoh tuners on an Ibanez Iron Label series guitar. Thanks!

My newest Strat has a kind of locking tuners. But I think they are different from some of the Gotoh locking tuners. The Fender ones secure the string in place with the thumbwheel. I typically wrap the string around the post a couple of times just for extra security. But I don't think it's necessary.

I haven't used the Gotoh locking tuners, but I've seen some videos about them. It looks like there are at lesat 2 different types. The first is similar to the Fender ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEBtC0lxFKc

Another type is very different in that you actualy secure the string simply by turning the tuner itself. This type seems odd & unnecessarily difficult to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YL5T4LnE70

You should definitely have a look at them at a music store & ask an employee how they work before you buy a guitar with them.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
10/19/2018 10:22 pm

"My newest Strat has a kind of locking tuners. But I think they are different from some of the Gotoh locking tuners. The Fender ones secure the string in place with the thumbwheel. I typically wrap the string around the post a couple of times just for extra security. But I don't think it's necessary."

My Strat has them too. No wrapping necessary. Just remember to loosen the tension before unlocking them. I did that only once.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
10/20/2018 2:41 am

IME the different brand mechs function differently although they all share in common that they're faster to restring and hold tune superbly.

Gotoh make several different mech and style locking tuners. The ones on that Ibanez should be this thumbwheel type. Buttons are cosmetic and can vary. Stewmac explains the string installation, locking and tightening to pitch procedure succinctly at that link.

No winding on per se necessary. Thread the string through at the recommended angle until taut, roll on the thumbwheel and they're locked. Wind to take up slack and tune to pitch.

Gotoh tuners are superb. They're OEM on my Manson Stage Series Cort Classic TC. Non-lockers in this instance. I have locking Grovers on two (612V II & 311H Pacificas) and Wilkinson lockers (my retro-fit) on a 112V. They are each different mechs yet again, but the end result is the same.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.