Amp for Acoustic guitar

movement2000
movement2000
10/14/2018 3:31 am

I'm looking for the most suitable amp for home, my level is advanced beginner (oxymoron?), play only for my own enjoyment so will never need it for anything other than home use. I have a nylon string and steel string accoustic and play both an equal amount of time. Which would be the best amp? Considering the Fishman loudbox mini, Roland ac33, Yamaha THR10c. Have I missed anything, what would you recommend.

Thanks in advance!

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/14/2018 4:24 am

I'd stick with an acoustic amp, so that brings it down to the 60W Fishman or 30W Roland unless the 10W THR5A floats your boat? The 10W THR10C is really an electric amp.

All good brands, so hard to go wrong with any.

Those Yamaha THRs sound incredible, and the audible output would be more than sufficient for an acoustic at home. Clearly it's the budget winner.

That said, can't see either the Roland or Fishman being disappointing if you want to spend the $$$. Both very nice choices. Battery independent functionality is a nice feature of the Roland. Not to be underestimated. I find myself using my Blackstar Fly 3 much more frequently that my others for that very reason. That, and that it's loud enough for practise at home in [u]any room[/u].

With three choices like that, unless you have a preference for the tone of one over the other, buy the one which has the features most useful to you that you will use. All of them have sufficient grunt for home use with an e-acoustic.

# 2
movement2000
movement2000
10/15/2018 5:26 am

Many thanks for the advice, will look at the Yamaha THR5A seems for my needs perfect.

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
10/15/2018 8:24 am

Demo and reviews here and here.

[br]Three superb features of the THR5A above all the other tech, are its battery capability and size which render it mains power independent and ultra portable, and its USB interface so you can record directly to a DAW with it.

TBH, the Yamaha THR5A is the acoustic amp I would have bought if electric amps weren't my primary priority at the time, and I hadn't subsequently scored an outa' his world deal on a Fender Acoustasonic 15 when already had three amps including the Blackstar Fly 3 combo for flexibility, battery independence and carrying portability. While I am happy with my simple Acoustasonic for my home acoustic needs, the THR5A is in another league altogether.

I confess to having a value conscious bias toward kit from Yamaha Music. I must be as I have an APX600 and several Pacificas in my studio. Whatever Yamaha do at any pricepoint segment, they do well. Like most of us I'm on a recreational $ budget these days and like to stretch my $ to cover my various interests. But I'm still a measure twice buy once kind of guy who likes to buy quality kit that will meet my operational requirement sourcing it at the best fair price I can get it. So if I don't spend on a name with little to offer more than that, or bells and whistles redundant for my purpose, it means I can buy something else with the saving, ...which is what I tend to do. e.g. My Presonis Studio speakers, Behringer Audio Interface & Reaper DAW. There's always something else you need. i.e. A longer quality instrument cable, an XLR cable or three, a neck rest for maintenance, another mic stand, tablet stand, music stand, pair of speaker stands, mixer, the GAS list is endless.

# 4
beaucoupfish
beaucoupfish
11/20/2018 9:59 pm

Fishman Loudbox Mini is amazing. I haven't tried the Yamaha THR10c, but the THR5 is nice. For only home use it should be good. I went w the Fishman and couldn't be happier. This rundown is helpful: https://equipboard.com/posts/best-acoustic-guitar-amp

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.