looking for a slightly smaller guitar to practice

Lma
Lma
09/28/2018 11:46 am

So i've been trying to practice whenever I can (novice. just trying to learn). The most consistant time I have is a couple of days/wk in the car after dropping the kids off and starting work. I usually sit in the parking lot a practice a bit.

I was considering getting a smaller inexpensive acoustic guitar for this. As I start looking, there are a bunch of sizes and no "standard" dimensions.

What size do you all suggest for this purpose?

what things should I look for, or look out for?

would practicing on a parlor or 3/4 size guitar mess me up when I try to play on a standard size guitar?

any advice would be welcome.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/28/2018 5:04 pm

Hi Lma,

If you only have time to practice, and you're practicing inside a car, you may want to get a smaller guitar like a Baby Taylor or another 3/4 size guitar. However, if you're just starting to learn, I do still recommend learning on a full-sized guitar so you can get used to how that feels.

But it all depends on how comfortable you are. And in order to feel which guitar works best for you, I suggest going to a local shop and trying a bunch of guitars until you find one that fits your needs!

Learning exclusively on a smaller-sized guitar should be fine, but it may make playing a larger guitar more difficult in the long run.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
Lma
Lma
09/28/2018 5:07 pm

thanks for the reply. I wouldnt exclusively be on the small guitar, but I'd like to take advantage of those 30-45 min without screwing me up in the long run.

# 3
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
09/28/2018 6:54 pm

Look into travel guitars. Some have full sized necks, so that problem should be soluable. However, I am a big guy and practice in the car sounds very cramped no matter the size of the guitar. good luck!

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 4
beaucoupfish
beaucoupfish
10/30/2018 9:10 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Look into travel guitars.

This. I have a Martin Steel String Backpacker, and love it. In the car you'll appreciate that it doesn't have a bulky body.

By the way, I dig what you're doing. We all "eventually want to get around to playing more", right? And so many people never do. It's great that you're making the most of some idle time that you have. Props!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.