Need a second guitar..

ian.robertsonn
Full Access
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
08/04/2018 9:24 am

Bit of background, I work in deepest darkest Africa where finding a guitar shop is nigh on impossible but I'm usually back home in the UK every two months or so for a couple of weeks. I have a Yamaha APX 600 with me which I'm very happy with but I have nothing at home (well I do but it's seriously crap) in the UK.

I've been trying to buy a Gretsch Rancher Jr but I've given up as all three (!) have been faulty so I'm on the lookout for something else. I'm still a basic learner so have no need to spend an absolute fortune but equally I don't want cheap stuff. In truth, budget isn't really an issue but getting the right guitar is.

The obvious answer would be to get my sorry arse down to a store but there aren't any where I am so I'm hoping the great and the good on here can give some pointers for the next time I'm back in the UK.

Thanks all.

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
08/04/2018 11:38 am

What's your budget Ian? And what do you want, another slim body cutaway concert acoustic or ?

Your new APX600 (I have one too) is fairly unique in its combination of scale length, nut width and string spacing. For my purposes, in an acoustic that combination of bright acoustic tone, body size, characteristics and features is precisely what I wanted, so I'd buy the same again or similar.

The myriad of choice is bewildering, especially without a specific specs in mind. If I had a hankering to try something similar but different, Yamaha's APX700II or a Cort SFX-1F are two I'd consider at slightly higher similar pricepoints. Great combo of features, tones & playability without spending a fortune.

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/04/2018 4:47 pm
Originally Posted by: ian.robertsonn

Bit of background, I work in deepest darkest Africa where finding a guitar shop is nigh on impossible but I'm usually back home in the UK every two months or so for a couple of weeks. I have a Yamaha APX 600 with me which I'm very happy with but I have nothing at home (well I do but it's seriously crap) in the UK.

I've been trying to buy a Gretsch Rancher Jr but I've given up as all three (!) have been faulty so I'm on the lookout for something else. I'm still a basic learner so have no need to spend an absolute fortune but equally I don't want cheap stuff. In truth, budget isn't really an issue but getting the right guitar is.

The obvious answer would be to get my sorry arse down to a store but there aren't any where I am so I'm hoping the great and the good on here can give some pointers for the next time I'm back in the UK.

Thanks all.

Where do you live in the UK?

# 3
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
08/04/2018 5:48 pm
Originally Posted by: manXcat

What's your budget Ian? And what do you want, another slim body cutaway concert acoustic or ?

Your new APX600 (I have one too) is fairly unique in its combination of scale length, nut width and string spacing. For my purposes, in an acoustic that combination of bright acoustic tone, body size, characteristics and features is precisely what I wanted, so I'd buy the same again or similar.

The myriad of choice is bewildering, especially without a specific specs in mind. If I had a hankering to try something similar but different, Yamaha's APX700II or a Cort SFX-1F are two I'd consider at slightly higher similar pricepoints. Great combo of features, tones & playability without spending a fortune.

I agree, the choice is bewildering! as much as I like my APX I don't want two of them when I eventually return home and it would be fun to play something slightly different although not wildly dissimilar.

I don't really want a full-on size dreadnought acoustic, I'm quite happy with the slim body cutaway electro-acoustic and although the body on the Rancher was wider I did quite like the fuller sound. Still prefer the smaller size all round though.

Never heard of the Cort but I'm intrigued by the APX700ii. As for budget, probably not more than £6-700 but the less the better as always!

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
08/04/2018 9:15 pm

I get where you're coming from. I'd do the same within prerequisite characteristics parameters. Its really just a short train journey or drive to a major city from most parts of the UK, so you'll have plenty to try and choose from at one of the prominent or chain stores one of whom will feature large near where you live. i.e. Dawsons in the NW, Andertons in Guildford, PMT who are everywhere, or the online boxshifters.

From that bewildering array of competing brands they'll have to present and add to the choice confusion, frequently with pricing based on heavily marketed emotional comfort factors like brand familiarity and perceived peer approval prestige, don't underestimate Cort. The brand doesn't have the name prominence for its own name that it deserves. At the price point mentioned, IME, at any price point they are as a rule even better quality than Yamaha who set the reliability plus value standard. They offer wide range of tones as they offer a selection of model body size, construction styles and woods. Thomann stock Cort and have that SFX-1F listed BTW. You should check its specs. Just different enough from the APX600. Lubbly jubbly!

As an aside, I live 300km from a major capital city myself. Even when on a flying visit to it, I'm not an in store shopper myself. In the US with their 'customer is king' attitude to retail and sheer number of stores supported by its massive population with advantage of a number of big name brands selling cheaply on home turf regardless of being imports now manufactured in PRC, SEA, Korea, Vietnam, Mexico et al, I would be more tempted by the in store experience. Here, I don't care for the highest margin or biggest distro kickback push-sell, nor the "just buy now from what we have in stock now" sigh, or get a faceful of barely diguised disinterest accompanied by a '(you're a) PITA time waster' 'attitude' from a range of equally unwelcome all too prevalent 'attitudes' seemingly the norm in so many LMS employees today.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.