Gretsch for a beginner?

ian.robertsonn
Full Access
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
06/18/2018 10:31 am

Learning to play through the site and enjoying it immensely, almost finished Fundamentals 1 and looking forward to 2. At the moment I'm playing a Yamaha APX 600 acoustic which I'm really happy with and I'm sure if I hooked up an amp I could much more yet.

However, I'm tempted by an electric guitar (although I'm in no rush) but haven't got a clue where to start. I live and work overseas in a country where there are no guitar stores so I can't just nip down and ask questions, etc.

I prefer a softer sound so not really looking at solid bodies but hollow and I really like the look of Gretsch guitars but not realy sure if it's the right way to go or does it really not matter? Grateful for any thoughts from the good and the wise!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2018 12:15 pm

Hey, glad you are enjoying learning with GT!

Originally Posted by: ian.robertsonn

However, I'm tempted by an electric guitar (although I'm in no rush) but haven't got a clue where to start. I live and work overseas in a country where there are no guitar stores so I can't just nip down and ask questions, etc.[/quote]

That's a shame because it really is a great idea to try before you buy. By far the best way to choose is to be able to see how different types feel in your hands.

But it is possible to substitute measurement in comparison to your guitar! Your Yamaha has a 25 inch scale length. That's the distance from the nut to bridge. It's an important factor in the size of the guitar. You can also measure the width & depth of the neck. Then you can compare those dimensions to other guitars.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/ac_guitars/apx/specs.html#product-tabs

[quote=ian.robertsonn]

I prefer a softer sound so not really looking at solid bodies but hollow and I really like the look of Gretsch guitars but not realy sure if it's the right way to go or does it really not matter? Grateful for any thoughts from the good and the wise!

You can certainly get a softer sound out of any solid body. Softness or harshness is more a matter of the amp & effects you use.

You might also consider overall cost, too, since you will have to get an amp in order to get the full effective use of an electric. Gretsch has a lot of models to choose from.

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/hollow-body?sort=new

Most of their guitars are 25.5 inch scale length. A little longer than yours, but close!

Your Yamaha is also a thinline, meaning a little less thick in the body than a typical acoustic. That's a pretty close match to some Gretsch guitars! But some of them are full size thick body guitars.

To compare, Fender & Epiphone make beginner guitar packs with guitar & amp.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c594--Electric_Guitar_Packs

That link goes to Sweetwater & they are really good about customer service on the phone. So you might be able to do some research by talking to them.

Have fun gear shopping! Let us know how it goes!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
06/18/2018 11:40 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Chris, much food for thought. I'm going back home soon to the UK for a few days so if I get time I'll nip down to my local music place but of not I can still do some research online. Cheers!

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
06/19/2018 4:59 am

My .02c. Don't buy on looks as #1 priority. Buy the right functional fit tool for you, then pick one you like the sound (pickup type & config), colour & styling of.

How does the APX600 suit your hands/fingers?

The APX600 is short scale, narrow 10mm string spacing, slim C neck, 43mm nut. Can't remember the radius, but it's typical Yamaha. For an acoustic it's a fast neck and action which works really well for smaller hands and fingers. I have one and love it.

IME older styled classics in most American brands are fine if you have long fingers or large hands. [u]I don't and I don't like them.[/u] Nothing against the brands per se. Since the '60's, necks and radius have changed. Today we have a choice. Modern is good.

Ultimately it comes down to personal fit. I think this is the most important aspect of playing anything like you own it. Does't matter how good the guitar can potentially sound. If it doesn't fit you, you'll struggle with it and so will your playing. It'll just never feel ergonomic.

Fit is a personal thing which will be driven by finger length and flexibility which is usually characteristic of body shape IME. Someone that finds a five fret stretch "nothing to it" naturally easy will likely be a ectomorph. If that isn't you, be [u]cautious[/u] of off the rack classics [u]without trying first[/u]. For that reason I'd buy, and did, a modern Cort -or similar in a semi hollow body clone, or Yamaha Pacifica 'Strat' anyday over a classically styled Les Paul, Gretsch or Fender Strat. People with fingers the size and length of legends like Berry and Hendrix would probably hate them and find the fret space cramped like someone 6'4" trying to squeeze into an A-4 cockpit (impossible) or a Mazda Miata (MX-5) - decidedly uncomfortable.

[br]Fit is very important IME. Know your size if buying 'off the rack' online. I do too because I'm in a similar position to you regarding guitar retailer proximity.

# 4
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
06/22/2018 12:21 am

Cheers for that, completely get what you're saying. I know it's daft to buy mostly on looks but you know how it is, if you see a nice shiny thing you want it. i'm going to get abit more experience and then see if I want an electric or not. I suspect I will but I'm not going to rush into it just now.

# 5
manXcat
manXcat
06/22/2018 1:39 am

Life is short.

If you've got the urge, and identify a need, go ahead and just buy one. While a Gretsch might, you don't need to spend that kind of $$$$. Decent guitars don't cost the earth today, and even decent home use amps are cheap.

I just bought another. This. Oh, and another two (Fender) amps.

# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/22/2018 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: ian.robertsonn

Before I got my Les Paul, I'd been considering a Gretsch. You should look at the Electromatic series. They are imported but they have great reviews for quality and playability and under $500 (Sweetwater). Key for Gretsch Electros is price and still get a version of the Filter'Tron pickup (Broad'Tron). Though not exactly the Filter'Tron, very vintagey sounds. A little more like a twangy PAF-style humbucker..and if you wanted to go full on Filter'Tron to get a little more twang in your pickup, Filter'Tron's are only $90.

Food for thought. No need to break the bank. Gretsch pro level guitars are $2000+ and great guitars. But I'd totally messed up years ago in getting rid of my original Gibby Les Paul and my heart went that way (with no regrets!). But I still dig that Gretsch thing...I'm not sure I can convince my wife to get me a third guitar in a year!

# 7
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
ian.robertsonn
Full Access
06/26/2018 9:34 pm

Cheers chaps, I think I just need to get down to my local music shop and have a play around. Choices choices!

# 8
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
06/28/2018 7:38 pm

Hey manXcat, love your A-4 simile. I was an A-4 maintainer for a number of years here in good old Kiwi Land. Brought a smile to my face to read your post!!

# 9
manXcat
manXcat
06/29/2018 3:23 am

Appreciate your appreciation of it.

Back in the day, the board would tell notably tall applicants straight up at final selection that they had no chance of ever being posted to A-4s even if they duxed course in order to gauge their response so they could screen them out immediately if that didn't sit as acceptable.

A very cosy office.

Being a tall ecto with spider fingers has its definite advantages though, especially for guitar players. Now 'I wish'.

P.S. Oh, and rude of me, nearly forgot. Warm greetings and salutations from across the ditch.

# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.