Audio amplifier IC for DIY home speaker system

zhanghuihui189
zhanghuihui189
05/04/2018 6:53 am

Hello,

Could you please help in choosing audio amplifier IC for DIY home speaker system?

I am thinking of this because I am not happy with my TV sound which doesnot have equalizer options.

Q. how many watts system do I need?

When looking at my TV specs, it has 10w+10w speakers, and when increasing the volume it gets sufficiently loud. So I am thinking 20w per channel speaker system will be enough for me. Please comment if my understanding is ok

Q. Which amplifier IC to use for the speaker system?

I am looking for a Class D/T amplifier, thinking that they are more efficient and cooler, so i can get a smaller power supply and no or small heat sink, and overall a compact system.

Please comment if my thinking is ok or do I need to consider a Class AB amplifier IC also?

Looking at various forums and reviews, i could see below ICs getting good reviews:

tripath amp ICs like TA2020, TA2024, TA2021, TK2050 etc.

maxim amp IC MAX98400

IR amp IC IR2092

and some TI and analogCircuit Class D ICs.

Please comment, currently which IC will be good to use for good sound quality. It need not be very cheap if gives good sound quality.

Q. For equalizer, what is the better option :

i. between the audio source and the main amplifier (filtering before amplification), using:

a. passive filters

b. active filters using opamps

ii. using crossover circuits between main amplifier and speakers (ie. filtering after amplification)

thanks and regards.

# 1
NickThePick
Full Access
NickThePick
Full Access
05/11/2018 7:34 pm

This seems an odd topic for a guitar tution site :0

If you need equlaization and wish to avoid all the pain of design and contruction of a custom circuit, I strongly advise that you look into buying a used surround sound amplier. It will meet your needs for less $$$ and in no time at all. Best, if you don't like it sell and get a different one.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.