Looking for a new amp

jambrosoli
jambrosoli
01/04/2018 8:44 pm

I currently have a Peavey VYPR 1 and it does not work well with pedals and I am finding it to be hard to use. I am really interested in the Fender Champion 100. I like the sound it puts out. Are the some amps that work well with pedals and some that dont?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2018 4:15 am
Originally Posted by: jambrosoli

I currently have a Peavey VYPR 1 and it does not work well with pedals and I am finding it to be hard to use. I am really interested in the Fender Champion 100. I like the sound it puts out. Are the some amps that work well with pedals and some that dont?

It depends on what kind of sound you are after & how used to using certain types of gear.

The Vyper amps are like most modern digital modeling amps in that they have all the effects built in. They are designed to have anything an external pedal would already integrated into the circuitry of the amp.

Remember that pedals were made in the first place to create sounds that you couldn't get from jsut the amp or in any other way. Early amps used to be fairly basic in design compared to modern ones.

Some older players (like me! ) are used to tube amps & pedals because that's how we learned to play & create the sounds we desired. I still use fairly basic tube amps for most playing situations & add a few pedals as icing on the cake.

But I also have a Line 6 Pod & a few digital modeling amps & they are great! I use them mostly for studio work, where it's easy to dial in a ton of drastically different sounds in just a few seconds without having to cart around 100 pedals. Or buy odd or unique ones just for one purpose!

I have used a couple of my digital amps with pedals for a couple of gig. But in those cases I wound up dialing in a very basic sound (similar to my normal amp) & then adding pedals in front. It took a little experimenting to get things to sound right, I was able to make it work.

I've played a Fender Champion. They are good sounding amps. For what it's worth, they also have a digital modeling section & effects! The 100 watt version is going to be LOUD! It might handle pedals better than the Peavey, but it really comes down to what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm willing to bet you can get the sound you want (or close to it!) out of your Vyper. So, what are you after tone wise?!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jambrosoli
jambrosoli
01/05/2018 4:24 am

I am trying to dial in a clean sound then if I want anything extra I can use a pedal for it. It seems like when I fiddle with the amp I can’t find a clean sound. Also it seems like when I use a pedal the sound is not so great on the amp almost like it is working against it.

# 3
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
01/05/2018 12:30 pm

It's worth having a look at the Boss Katana amps as well, they've been getting great reviews.

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2018 1:22 pm
Originally Posted by: jambrosoli

I am trying to dial in a clean sound then if I want anything extra I can use a pedal for it. It seems like when I fiddle with the amp I can’t find a clean sound. Also it seems like when I use a pedal the sound is not so great on the amp almost like it is working against it.

Thanks for the info. I know those amps get a decent clean sound. I've played several of them. What kind of pedal did you put in front of it? For example, some gain, overdrive or distortion pedals don't work well unless paired with an amp that already has a bit of volume & gain happening. Other pedals are only designed to pair with clean solid state amps with no gain or breakup.

Check out this demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lF0JSQ-HGo

That guy is getting a huge variety of tones from that Vypyr!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2018 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: fuzzb0x

It's worth having a look at the Boss Katana amps as well, they've been getting great reviews.

I have a Boss Katana 50. Outstanding amp & value for the price. It's the one digital amp that I've been able to use as is & put pedals in front of.

I used it in a couple of gigs & dialed a clean loud tone with a little gain (edge of breakup), then I plugged in my normal pedal board (Boss SD1, Zoom MS50, Chorus). Worked great!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
takiomail444
takiomail444
03/28/2018 5:09 pm

If You like Fender amps, You should check Mustang I or II[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/120122g_Guitar-and-Bass-Guitar-Amplifiers.html[br]https://www.gear4music.com/Electric_Guitar/Combo-amps.html[br]https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/guitar-amps/

# 7
NeverEnoughFuzz
NeverEnoughFuzz
03/30/2018 5:49 am

I recently got a new amp and after looking at all the new modeling/digital amps a went for a Vox AC4 C1-12.

Amazing amp can pedals really well, great for bedroom practice but can get loud enough to get over a drummer.

definately worth checking out, either in store or on youtube.

Cheers

Fender Strat Jimi Hendrix Series MIM

Epiphone 59 Les Paul

Pus a few others

Boss Katana Mk2 100 watts

Bugera V22 combo

Far too many pedals...

# 8
seay.james
Full Access
seay.james
Full Access
03/30/2018 9:10 pm

Hi there!

What is the intended use? Bedroom or in a band? What pedal is giving you trouble? What is your objective with the pedal?

I ask because most people buy amps that are way too loud and, literally, cannot dial them in because 7-o'clock on the dial is silent and 7-oh-five is too loud! I am willing to bet that the Champion 100 would be too loud. Even the Champion 40 might be too loud.

If you're into math and overanalyzing, this is a fantastic video to explain how amps and speakers lead to loudness.

https://youtu.be/mhIQSxKFgoQ

In my opinion, bedroom levels should be under 90dB and preferably under 85dB. That is the higest level OSHA (U.S. government organization that analyzes industrial safety) recommends for 8+hours of exposure without hearing damage.

Note that virually *all* guitar amps are above 90dB unless you use an attenuator or get a dedicated practice amp. So if you are a bedroom player, I would look at those tiny Yamaha lunchboxes. *Or* diagnose why your pedal is not working. Or get another pedal.

For Loudness Reference,

OSHA guidelines for avoiding hearing damage = 85-90dB

OSHA estimate for rock concert with modern PA system = 110-115dB (with the PA system doing the work of making it loud)

A Fender Princeton Reverb (that internet pundits say is giggable 80% of the time and too soft 20% of the time) puts out a theoretical 105 dB. 15 watts through a 10-inch speaker.

A Fender Deluxe Reverb (that internet pundits say is too loud 80% of the time and giggable 20% of the time) puts out a theoretical 112dB

A Vox AC30 with Alinco Blues (that pretty much everyone says is too loud 99% of the time) puts out a theoretical 118dB

If you are looking to play in a band or go to jam sessions, 15-20 watts into a 10-inch speaker should work. 10-15 watts into a 12-inch speaker should also work. You are looking for 105-110 decibels.

Likely candidates here are

* Your current amp (solid state. has a master volume)

* Fender Super Champ (tube. has a master volume)

* Roland Blues Cube (solid state, has a master volume, has a solo boost)

Back to the pedal What is your intended use? A wise person (who I ignored and now have a smaller bank account for it) told me "Get your tone from your amp not pedals. Use pedals for special situations."

That is the reason I am asking about the pedal. A $150 amp and $300 in pedals and you could simply buy a nicer amp.

In my opinion, here are the pedals you need in the order you need them...

1. Tuner pedal

2. Noise gate

3. Some sort of method to get a louder, slightly dirtier signal for single-note playing. Some amps (like the Roland Blues Cube) have this built in.

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.