Fingerpickers Need Your Opinions

johnv31552
johnv31552
11/19/2017 10:15 pm

I currently have a Yamaha FGX 800c Cutaway Acoustic Electric, but I want to begin learning more of fingerpicking. Which guitars do you like for fingerpicking. I am leaning toward a Martin because they have the 1 3/4 in wide neck at the nut. Do I need a cutaway or is a standard dreadnaught a good choice. Which other brands would be good, that also have that spacing. My budget is in the neighborhood of $1000.00. If you are a fingerpicker, what brand do you own? Thanks

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/20/2017 6:31 pm

Hi johnv31552,

Honestly, just about any acoustic guitar would be great for fingerpicking. I think Anders once said that 90 percent of the sound comes from the player, and the rest is from the actual guitar. This is especially true for fingerpicking.

If your budget is $1000, you've got quite a bit to work with and your best bet is to go into your local shop and play with some until you find one that first, FEELs good and sounds great.

You can't really go wrong with a Martin, but if you can find a Taylor or a Breedlove for the price range, you'll be good. A lot of acoustic Epiphones are also great. And getting a guitar with a cutaway is completely up to you, if you want to play at those higher frets.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
takiomail444
takiomail444
12/24/2017 1:20 pm

I found nice Morrison and Taylor[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/156828_Morrison-Monaco-M3004OM-CM-acoustic-guitar.html[br]https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/214DLX

# 3
lgherb
lgherb
12/31/2017 4:25 pm
Originally Posted by: johnv31552

I currently have a Yamaha FGX 800c Cutaway Acoustic Electric, but I want to begin learning more of fingerpicking. Which guitars do you like for fingerpicking. I am leaning toward a Martin because they have the 1 3/4 in wide neck at the nut. Do I need a cutaway or is a standard dreadnaught a good choice. Which other brands would be good, that also have that spacing. My budget is in the neighborhood of $1000.00. If you are a fingerpicker, what brand do you own? Thanks

I'm guessing you're probably already found something, but my suggestion would be to look at the Yamaha LL6 or LS6...you can probably find an open box deal on one but they retail for about $450 new .

The nut width is also 1.75 vinches. Solid spruce top that has been treated using Yamaha's "ARE" process that makes the wood sound like it has naturally aged for a couple decades (the process opens up the pores in the wood). The necks on the Yamaha L series are very nice.

It's a lot of bang for the buck at that price point. The "6" series have laminated backs and sides and the "16" series is all solid wood. The "LL" is roughly a dreadnaught shape and the LS is roughly a concert shape...just depends on what fits your torso/arm size better.

You also might find a LL16 or LS16 that is lightly used or an open box special for a killer deal.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.