the new gear vs the oldtimes musicians

mbw1
mbw1
09/19/2017 11:40 am

I was wondering if someone could tell me about pedals, and why to use them.

beacuse as far as I know the old musician does not use pedals like keith richards, angus young, bb king, and so on, so why use pedals when musicians like them can create good sound without? cant you just your amp ? or I am missing out on something

I dont know much on pedals so it may seem like a stupid question

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/26/2017 6:53 pm

Hi mbw1,

Guitar effects pedals are one of the coolest things about playing electric.

Why use pedals? Pedals are great if you want to experiment with a new type of tone or sound. Sure, the classics like BB King and others you've mentioned didn't use a lot of effects because they didn't need it for the type of music they played. If you are happy with the tone of your guitar plugged straight into your amp, then that's great.

But if you want to find a new sound, or try and recreate certain tones from other guitarists, more often than not, they used effects pedals. For example, Eric Clapton, mostly known for his blues and rock guitar work, used a bit of pedals like overdrive, fuzz and a wah.

Personally, I like to drive my guitar real hard, more than the amp can do, so I'm a big fan of fuzz and overdrive pedals, they add a ton of dirt to the signal. Also, delay pedals that make your guitar echo are also great.

You can check out some commonly used effects pedals for playing the blues right here: https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=972

I think it's important to understand and be aware of pedals, even if you don't plan to use them. They're extremely important in discovering new sounds and really, are another part of learning the electric guitar. It would be a real shame for any guitarist to not at lease familiarize themselves with the basics of pedals.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.