Buying a beginner guitar

vagnetsec
vagnetsec
09/18/2017 11:05 pm

Hi people,

I just subscribed to the forum, and really have no idea about guitars, so please be patient :)

I am interest for an acoustic steel strung guitar, but I don't know which one should I take as I am an absolute beginner on my 30ies. Also, what else should I buy with it to tune it, use it etc.?

I am looking to not spend more than 150 to start with.

Many thanks all for your suggestions :)

Regards,

Ev

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
09/26/2017 6:56 pm

Hi Ev,

If you're a complete beginner, the best way to find a decent starter guitar is to go to a local shop and try out a bunch. Eventually, you'll find one that fits your hand and your wallet.

Another tip is to start with an electric guitar. Electric guitars are a little easier to play because the strings don't feel as tight, the tension isn't as strong. This is important because the number one complaint in beginner guitar learners is that their fingers tend to get really sore. This is something guitarists are simply used to. So if you want an easier way to get into playing, go find an electric!

I started with a Squier Stratocaster, and those can be found for as low as $199, and it comes with a bag and a little amplifier.

Best,

Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
09/28/2017 12:57 am
Originally Posted by: vagnetsec

Hi people,

I just subscribed to the forum, and really have no idea about guitars, so please be patient :)

I am interest for an acoustic steel strung guitar, but I don't know which one should I take as I am an absolute beginner on my 30ies. Also, what else should I buy with it to tune it, use it etc.?

I am looking to not spend more than 150 to start with.

Many thanks all for your suggestions :)

Regards,

Ev

Billy had some good advice and I would disagree with any of it.

On the point of how much to spend, without knowing your financial situation, if you can go up in your budget, you'll find a leap in the quality of guitar you can buy. If you can get as high as $300, that would get you a great guitar that is very playable. It's not that you can't find a guitar that you can play in the $150 range, it will just be much harder to find.

The key to the budget and quality is, of course, playability. When you start out even with the most expensive, top dollar guitar, guitar is not always easy. Like anything you learn, it takes time, patience and perservierence to get better. That's not even considering the quality of your instrument.

What you don't want is a guitar that makes sticking with it even harder. If you are committed to playing through any challenges, a very playable guitar will make the process easier and more fun. Particularly if you're going to start with acoustic. As Billy noted, it is harder. Not in skill so much. The strings are generally heavier and the physicality it takes to play acoustic is a little step up from electric. Thus my thought regarding; if you're going to start with acoustic, a little bigger budget could help.

Here's a review in the Fender T-Bucket I did some time back. You can get it for less than $300 if you look (and probably cheaper used. The only change to the review I'd make is; the body is a little thicker (deeper) than some other acoustics. It's not a bad thing at all. Just something to note. I played this guitar until a few weeks ago (I've been playing guitar since '81(ish) and got the acoustic to noodle on. Did great for 5 years (still does) but I wantede to move up since I was playing mostly acousatic these days and got a Taylor.

Some in that less than $300 range that are good are; Washburn, Yamaha, Fender or Ibanez.

Good luck!

# 3
h_piper
h_piper
10/15/2017 5:24 am

I would suggest raising your budget just a little bit if you possibly can. Yamaha, for example, makes a wonderful acoustic guitar for $200 that would do you well for a number of years. Other suggestion would be to look at Epiphone as they sell some intrductory kits for both acoustic and electric guitars that include everything you need to get started for around $250-$300. It even includes the amplifier in the case of electric guitar, tuner, picks, a beginner book, everything to get you started.

# 4
takiomail444
takiomail444
10/22/2017 4:00 pm

I found these two[br]https://musicsquare.co.uk/154549_Epiphone-PRO1-NA-acoustic-guitar.html[br]https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC15NT

# 5
johnv31552
johnv31552
10/26/2017 7:41 pm

I fully agree with the posts and will say this to a beginner. I have the Keith Urban Night Star Solid Body Electric which cost me 200, and its an excellent guitar with a very low action and yet no fret buzz. Came from the factory like that. For acoustic if you can bump your budget to be tween 250 and 300, you cannot go wrong with the Yamaha FGX 800C. Its my acoustic guitar and I dont plan on moving up in quality to a Martin until I am a decent player, but having said that, as a beginner that Yamaha will give you good service for probably 5 years or more..and thats enough time to learn on a good guitar. I will caution you buy quality even for a first guitar and I say 300 is a good budget.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.