Vintage refinished?!!

stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
09/18/2017 7:35 pm

I have the opportunity to still pay quite a bit for a 50+ year old Fender Strat that does have two downsides going for it. First, the original hardshell case is.......missing but it has a new Fender hardshell and second, it's body only has been refinished. The only cool thing about this is that it was originally in this Fender factory color......and like the seller explained to me 'some idiot decided to try his hand at recoating it with spray can paint'. The upside is this current owner did have it beautifully refinished in the original color but had to resolder joints and whatnot to tear it apart to repaint it like the factory. It's not made to discolor like it's 50+ years old but looks like she just came off the assembly line........which is actually fine by me! He wants approximately half the amount of $$$ a good condition original factory color Strat sells for and acknowledges vintage guitar prices have come down some these last couple of years. Any sound advice?? The prices on say LPB original Strats go from a new Hyundai Elantra to a new Lexxus in price so it all seems so insane but I'd love to own and play a Pre CBS Fender Strat before I find out if there is indeed a R&R heaven!! Thanks!! Jim C.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2017 1:51 pm

Hey, Jim!

Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbo

I have the opportunity to still pay quite a bit for a 50+ year old Fender Strat that does have two downsides going for it.[/quote][p]If at all possible you should ask for an appraisal inspection, or some evidence that this is an actual 60s Stratocaster.

Originally Posted by: stratmanjimboFirst, the original hardshell case is.......missing but it has a new Fender hardshell

Not necessarily a dealbreaker. After all it's the guitar that has the most value. But vintage guitar PLUS original case always gets top dollar. This could be a negotiation point.

[quote=stratmanjimbo]... second, it's body only has been refinished. The only cool thing about this is that it was originally in this Fender factory color......and like the seller explained to me 'some idiot decided to try his hand at recoating it with spray can paint'.

That's a potential red flag. I don't know the person you are dealing with. I don't knonw how well you know them.

But I've seen sellers intentionally mislead buyers. I've seen seller honestly unaware that they were selling an inauthentic vintage machine. I've seen sellers & buyers both aware that the machine is not vintage, but only LOOKS vintage & was distressed as a look-a-like machine.

So, just know what you are getting into. In the end, if you like the guitar, plays well, sounds good & you can afford it, then who cares if it's authentic or not.

But if it matter to you, then you should ask more proof or evidence that it is.

Gruhn guitars in Nashville does appraisals & other sites & business offer this service or info.

http://guitars.com/

Have fun, but be careful!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/19/2017 1:52 pm

Hey, Jim!

Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbo

I have the opportunity to still pay quite a bit for a 50+ year old Fender Strat that does have two downsides going for it.[/quote][p]If at all possible you should ask for an appraisal inspection, or some evidence that this is an actual 60s Stratocaster.

Originally Posted by: stratmanjimboFirst, the original hardshell case is.......missing but it has a new Fender hardshell

Not necessarily a dealbreaker. After all it's the guitar that has the most value. But vintage guitar PLUS original case always gets top dollar. This could be a negotiation point.

[quote=stratmanjimbo]... second, it's body only has been refinished. The only cool thing about this is that it was originally in this Fender factory color......and like the seller explained to me 'some idiot decided to try his hand at recoating it with spray can paint'.

That's a potential red flag. I don't know the person you are dealing with. I don't knon how well you know them.

This story could very well all be true. But I've seen sellers intentionally mislead buyers. I've seen sellers honestly unaware that they were selling an inauthentic vintage machine (or not complete authenic vintage, but saying it was). I've seen sellers & buyers both aware that the machine is not vintage, but only LOOKS vintage & was fixed or distressed as a look-a-like machine.

So, just know what you are getting into. In the end, if you like the guitar, plays well, sounds good & you can afford it, then who cares if it's authentic or not.

But if authenticity matters to you, then you should ask more proof or evidence that it is.

Gruhn guitars in Nashville does appraisals & other sites & business offer this service or info.

http://guitars.com/

Have fun, but be careful!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
stratmanjimbo
stratmanjimbo
09/19/2017 2:04 pm

Thanks, Christopher! The issue here is a) it's a private sale and b) it's 1500 miles away. I've already told you about the candy apple red Strat I have and this one could be like having a true classic vintage to play out and be less concerned about having it nicked up or even stolen. It's priced nearly equivalent to these "Master Built" Strats I've seen advertised that have nothing vintage in them except they're distressed and supposedly rebuilt to be authentic.......but you're right..........this is still a lot of cash and not dealing with reputable Gruhn Guitars or Chicago Music Exchange who really back their guitars. It is pretty though and like the guy selling it told me when he thought he'd keep it forever....he wanted it to look as close to brand new off the shelf Fender Stratocaster factory custom color as the professional refinisher could get it without any purposeful road wearing or yellowing and from the few pics I'd say he achieved this!!

Really digging your latest course by the way, C.S.!!

Jim C.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.