Fender Mustang V2 Amps

ricaurtegoti
ricaurtegoti
10/21/2014 5:35 pm
Hi guys,

Looking for some amps during this past weekend I found the Fender Mustang V2 at a very good price. But I was thinking if someone can provide me some feedback regarding this modeling amp regarding the overall tone.

Currently I used Amplitube so I clearly understand the whole concept, some advice here is good. I have on my wishlist a Marshall solid state amp.
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/21/2014 7:03 pm
Hey ricaurtegoti.

I have a Fender Mustang II V.2 myself, and I can only recommend it. It doesn't exactly have a tone of its own, but it does a very good job of copying that of more famous amp-models. It comes with 24 built-in presets (or 100 if you buy the IV or V), and you can change those presets if you want to. My Mustang II came with 8 readily accessible amp-models, that you can choose from with the turn of a knob. Connect the amp to a PC/Mac with Fender FUSE, and you unlock the amp's full potential. You get access to a bunch of extra amp-models, and the ability to add effects and adjust pretty much every parameter of those effects. It's pretty powerful, to say the least. For increased versatility when it comes to tone, you can even choose what kind of speaker-cabinet you want it to emulate! And yes, there's a difference between the different cabinets...

One thing that you should be aware of before buying, is that the Mustang I and Mustang II do not have a Middle knob! If you plan on adjusting your tone with a computer or laptop, no problem. Fender FUSE adds the Middle knob. You just don't have the physical knob. Why the hell Fender didn't put the Middle knob on the V2 series eludes me...

But enough about that. Let's look at the 8 readily available presets (note that when I say "readily available", I mean the ones you can access by turning the Preset-knob the moment you take it out of the box for the first time):

'57 Deluxe: A very good attempt at copying the sound of an old '57 Fender Deluxe or '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb (the preset has some Delay and Reverb, making it sound more like the latter than the first). I use it almost all of the time, especially with my Les Paul. If you want the sound of a classic, Tube Overdriven Fender Amp, this preset will give you plenty of mileage.

'59 Bassman: Another classic Fender-amp, the '59 Fender Bassman. I don't know a lot about this preset, since I don't really use it. Compared to a real Bassman, it gets pretty close to the real thing. Still, I prefer the brighter '57 Deluxe.

'65 Twin Reverb: Yet another classic. The '65 Fender Twin Reverb is basically a cleaner version of the '57 Deluxe/'65 Deluxe Reverb. Sounds the same, just clean.

British '60s: Now we're moving away from the Vintage Fender Amp Models for a while. The British '60s preset sounds very similar to a lightly overdriven Vox AC30. It seems to be dialed right at the point of break-up when I use my SG, which I consider to be very nice. It does get very harsh when you turn up the Treble and Gain too much, though. I usually like to have plenty of Treble, but this model gives me too much!

British '80s: Yes, I know, it should've been "British '70s", but that model is only in Fender FUSE (I'm guessing it's because the '80s amp just sounds better in every way). The British '80s model is exactly what you'd expect. It's the sound of a classic Marshall like the ones all the big bands in the 80's used, like a cranked JCM800 or Plexi. If you're into '80s Rock and Metal, this preset can easily give you the tone you're looking for. Heck, this amp can handle '70s stuff like AC/DC just fine as well.

American '90s: I have nothing to compare this amp-model to, since I don't listen to or play Grunge or '90s stuff in general. You're pretty much on your own here :)

Super-Sonic: The only readily available amp-model without a number in its name! It's a quite accurate reproduction of Fender's attempt at making a High-Gain amplifier, the Fender Super-Sonic. In this case, the preset mimics the Burn channel on the Super-Sonic (makes plenty of sense, since the Clean channel on the Super-Sonic was a copy of the '65 Fender Twin Reverb...). It has gain, and lots of it. It has a special High-Gain Distortion sound, that I can't get with my High-Gain Distortion pedal. If you want the Fender-tone, but also want plenty of Gain, this preset might be able to get you there.

Metal 2000: Now, we're talking High-Gain Distortion. Where the Super-Sonic has a sort of Vintage High-Gain sound, the Metal 2000 has a much more modern sound. It's probably the closest thing you can get to a Mesa-Boogie amplifier on a budget. It can sound very heavy, but when you turn down the volume-knob on your guitar, it usually cleans up somewhat well (not as good as the lower-gain amp models, though). Tone-wise, it reminds me of a mix between a Mesa-Boogie and an Engl. If you want a more modern Metal-tone, this preset should be a good place to start.

This list should give you a basic understanding of what each of the 8 readily available models sounds like. In my personal experience, the amp can cover most situations and it has served my needs just fine when jamming with other musicians. It also has a headphone jack, an AUX input for connecting an MP3 player or phone or whatever so you can jam along to backing tracks and your favorite songs. Also, it doubles as an Audio Interface and comes with Ableton Live 8 Lite, which can be used for recording your own music and producing your own backing-tracks (there's a steep learning curve, but it's manageable).

The only short-coming I've noticed so far is that it doesn't always sound as warm as the amps it's trying to emulate. But if you're looking for a very versatile practice-amp that can do pretty much any genre you could think of, this amp is worth trying out. Of course, always try an amp for a while before making a final decision.

Of course, that's just my opinion on this amp. I hope it helps just a bit :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 2
ricaurtegoti
ricaurtegoti
10/21/2014 9:36 pm
Hi Kasperow,

You provide a details review of this amp more than I was expecting for here and I really appreciate your time. Overall seems like a good deal to me. For sure I will try this amp this weekend.

I really have one question in the end: can you connect pedals to it? I read that when you connect any pedals the amp is not suitable to work properly. Can you tell me more about this?
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/22/2014 7:18 am
You're welcome. In my experience, the Mustang V2 doesn't have a problem with pedals at all. Sure, it does have an Fx loop, so any pedals used will have to go in front of the amp. Other than that, it handles pedals pretty well. I use the amp with pedals all the time, and I have yet to hear any problems with the amp itself.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4
ricaurtegoti
ricaurtegoti
10/22/2014 1:34 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowYou're welcome. In my experience, the Mustang V2 doesn't have a problem with pedals at all. Sure, it does have an Fx loop, so any pedals used will have to go in front of the amp. Other than that, it handles pedals pretty well. I use the amp with pedals all the time, and I have yet to hear any problems with the amp itself.

Good to know this. Thanks again for the feedback I will go the the music store to test this amp during the weekend.
# 5
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/23/2014 12:45 am
Personally, I'll never be going back to solid states. I had a Fender Mustang I for almost the first year of playing, but recently I bought the Blackstar HT-1R (a 1 Watt tube amp), and it sounds so much better, especially for clean tones and rock/metal lead with distortion.

I will say the Mustang was pretty good for that crunchy rock tone and distorted power chords, but the lead tone is pretty crappy.

I would recommend the Blackstart HT-1R. A little more expensive, but sounds great.
# 6
bbzswa777
bbzswa777
10/23/2014 12:47 am
Oh yeah, Kasperow: you can control the Mids on the Fender Mustang I and II:

press-and-hold EXIT+TREB functionality to control MID on Mustang I/II amps.
# 7
ricaurtegoti
ricaurtegoti
10/23/2014 3:27 pm
Folks one question that comes to my mind at this moment. I plan to buy a Epiphone Les Paul with humbucker pickups but read elseware that the Mustang sound better with single coils pickups guitars.
# 8
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/23/2014 8:15 pm
Originally Posted by: ricaurtegotiFolks one question that comes to my mind at this moment. I plan to buy a Epiphone Les Paul with humbucker pickups but read elseware that the Mustang sound better with single coils pickups guitars.

In my opinion, it handles Humbuckers very well. I only have guitars with Humbuckers (except for my acoustic, for obvious reasons), and they all sound amazing through the Mustang II. Most of the time, I play an Epiphone Les Paul, and there's pretty much nothing it can't do with the Mustang. Except for sounding like a single-coil guitar, of course (but that's generally impossible for Les Pauls without the newer Coil-Splitting function).

The best thing you can do is to try the amp with as many different guitars and settings as possible. After all, the only one who can decide, what gear you buy, is yourself :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 9
jvctele19
jvctele19
10/24/2014 2:02 am
Nice review Kasperow.
I use my Mustang II for learning and practicing.
I have 2 great tube amps for cranking it up. Solid state amps just don't measure up to tube amps. Just my opinion.
However they are much cheaper also.
Check out the demos on you tube.
# 10
ricaurtegoti
ricaurtegoti
10/24/2014 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowIn my opinion, it handles Humbuckers very well. I only have guitars with Humbuckers (except for my acoustic, for obvious reasons), and they all sound amazing through the Mustang II. Most of the time, I play an Epiphone Les Paul, and there's pretty much nothing it can't do with the Mustang. Except for sounding like a single-coil guitar, of course (but that's generally impossible for Les Pauls without the newer Coil-Splitting function).

The best thing you can do is to try the amp with as many different guitars and settings as possible. After all, the only one who can decide, what gear you buy, is yourself :)

Thank you for your feedback. For sure I will try this amp at the store before taking my final choice of amp.
# 11
Kasperow
Kasperow
10/24/2014 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: jvctele19Nice review Kasperow.
I use my Mustang II for learning and practicing.
I have 2 great tube amps for cranking it up. Solid state amps just don't measure up to tube amps. Just my opinion.
However they are much cheaper also.

I agree. Solid-State amps tend to not sound as warm as Tube amps. However, for practice-purposes, I consider Solid-State amps (and Modelling amps in particular) to be superior, if only for the sake of getting good tone at lower volumes, and not having to replace Tubes all the time.

For practice, I'd take a Solid-State amp over a Tube amp anyday, due to Solid-State amps requiring a lot less maintenance required. However, for rehearsing with a band or playing gigs, I'd choose a Tube amp, if only for the warmer tone.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 12
ricaurtegoti
ricaurtegoti
10/24/2014 9:47 pm
I found a very good review of amps below $200 that I want to share here. Now I have on my list the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2. My 3 main options are the Fender, Marchall and Peavey.

The Fender and Peavey offer the best overall stuff....but the Marshall tone....well is the Marshall tone but lack of features that the Fender and Peavey offer.

I have a good homework to do on the guitar shops locally :)
# 13
rednef3d
rednef3d
01/02/2020 8:43 pm

One trick:

Regarding you say "the Mustang I and Mustang II do not have a Middle knob! "

You can press "Exit" button while turn "Treble" knob; then you can change Middle knob without Fuse software, directly on your amp.

Originally Posted by: KasperowHey ricaurtegoti.[br][br]I have a Fender Mustang II V.2 myself, and I can only recommend it. It doesn't exactly have a tone of its own, but it does a very good job of copying that of more famous amp-models. It comes with 24 built-in presets (or 100 if you buy the IV or V), and you can change those presets if you want to. My Mustang II came with 8 readily accessible amp-models, that you can choose from with the turn of a knob. Connect the amp to a PC/Mac with Fender FUSE, and you unlock the amp's full potential. You get access to a bunch of extra amp-models, and the ability to add effects and adjust pretty much every parameter of those effects. It's pretty powerful, to say the least. For increased versatility when it comes to tone, you can even choose what kind of speaker-cabinet you want it to emulate! And yes, there's a difference between the different cabinets...[br][br]One thing that you should be aware of before buying, is that the Mustang I and Mustang II do not have a Middle knob! If you plan on adjusting your tone with a computer or laptop, no problem. Fender FUSE adds the Middle knob. You just don't have the physical knob. Why the hell Fender didn't put the Middle knob on the V2 series eludes me...[br][br]But enough about that. Let's look at the 8 readily available presets (note that when I say "readily available", I mean the ones you can access by turning the Preset-knob the moment you take it out of the box for the first time):[br][br]'57 Deluxe: A very good attempt at copying the sound of an old '57 Fender Deluxe or '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb (the preset has some Delay and Reverb, making it sound more like the latter than the first). I use it almost all of the time, especially with my Les Paul. If you want the sound of a classic, Tube Overdriven Fender Amp, this preset will give you plenty of mileage.[br][br]'59 Bassman: Another classic Fender-amp, the '59 Fender Bassman. I don't know a lot about this preset, since I don't really use it. Compared to a real Bassman, it gets pretty close to the real thing. Still, I prefer the brighter '57 Deluxe.[br][br]'65 Twin Reverb: Yet another classic. The '65 Fender Twin Reverb is basically a cleaner version of the '57 Deluxe/'65 Deluxe Reverb. Sounds the same, just clean.[br][br]British '60s: Now we're moving away from the Vintage Fender Amp Models for a while. The British '60s preset sounds very similar to a lightly overdriven Vox AC30. It seems to be dialed right at the point of break-up when I use my SG, which I consider to be very nice. It does get very harsh when you turn up the Treble and Gain too much, though. I usually like to have plenty of Treble, but this model gives me too much![br][br]British '80s: Yes, I know, it should've been "British '70s", but that model is only in Fender FUSE (I'm guessing it's because the '80s amp just sounds better in every way). The British '80s model is exactly what you'd expect. It's the sound of a classic Marshall like the ones all the big bands in the 80's used, like a cranked JCM800 or Plexi. If you're into '80s Rock and Metal, this preset can easily give you the tone you're looking for. Heck, this amp can handle '70s stuff like AC/DC just fine as well.[br][br]American '90s: I have nothing to compare this amp-model to, since I don't listen to or play Grunge or '90s stuff in general. You're pretty much on your own here :)[br][br]Super-Sonic: The only readily available amp-model without a number in its name! It's a quite accurate reproduction of Fender's attempt at making a High-Gain amplifier, the Fender Super-Sonic. In this case, the preset mimics the Burn channel on the Super-Sonic (makes plenty of sense, since the Clean channel on the Super-Sonic was a copy of the '65 Fender Twin Reverb...). It has gain, and lots of it. It has a special High-Gain Distortion sound, that I can't get with my High-Gain Distortion pedal. If you want the Fender-tone, but also want plenty of Gain, this preset might be able to get you there.[br][br]Metal 2000: Now, we're talking High-Gain Distortion. Where the Super-Sonic has a sort of Vintage High-Gain sound, the Metal 2000 has a much more modern sound. It's probably the closest thing you can get to a Mesa-Boogie amplifier on a budget. It can sound very heavy, but when you turn down the volume-knob on your guitar, it usually cleans up somewhat well (not as good as the lower-gain amp models, though). Tone-wise, it reminds me of a mix between a Mesa-Boogie and an Engl. If you want a more modern Metal-tone, this preset should be a good place to start.[br][br]This list should give you a basic understanding of what each of the 8 readily available models sounds like. In my personal experience, the amp can cover most situations and it has served my needs just fine when jamming with other musicians. It also has a headphone jack, an AUX input for connecting an MP3 player or phone or whatever so you can jam along to backing tracks and your favorite songs. Also, it doubles as an Audio Interface and comes with Ableton Live 8 Lite, which can be used for recording your own music and producing your own backing-tracks (there's a steep learning curve, but it's manageable).[br][br]The only short-coming I've noticed so far is that it doesn't always sound as warm as the amps it's trying to emulate. But if you're looking for a very versatile practice-amp that can do pretty much any genre you could think of, this amp is worth trying out. Of course, always try an amp for a while before making a final decision.[br][br]Of course, that's just my opinion on this amp. I hope it helps just a bit :)

# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.