Short/Thick fingers

jmkeel
jmkeel
04/03/2013 1:04 pm
I'm a beginner looking for a nice acoustic guitar. I am sincerely intent on learning to play and am willing to pay for a quality instrument. My concern is that my fingers are somewhat short, and on some guitars I've tried, getting them fully around the neck (like a G chord) is difficult, if not impossible. Do guitars exist for the digitally challenged, or are the dimensions pretty much standard? Either way, I would like to buy a really nice acoustic and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
# 1
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
04/03/2013 1:18 pm
**This is a note from someone with sausage fingers also. **

I am only into my second month in learning and have to let you know is it can be done. At first it was "Man, that A chord I will never get! How do they expect me to get all 3 fingers so close??" and now I am thinking F chord is harder. I know if I just keep at it, it will come. I kept practicing and my fingers learned how to handle the stretches or weird movements of them.

At first it might be hard, but your hands will learn how they need to be to achieve it.
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 2
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
04/03/2013 3:13 pm
Just starting out, you might consider a classical acoustic with nylon strings. The strings have less tension so your fingers aren't deforming as much when you fret. The tone isn't as bright as a steel string acoustic. Some of the necks on these guitars are wider than steel strings, some are not. Why the difference I don't know.

There are plenty of great guitarists with cigar butt fingers.
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
# 3
compart1
compart1
04/03/2013 3:31 pm
Hi jmkeel..
ThorfinnFrisken has given you some good advice.. You may want to check your holding posture. Beginers tend to roll the guitar so that that they can better see where they are putting thier fingers. This limits your reach to the 6th string.
Heres the link back to the lesson
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13958
You may also want to get your fingers and wrist warmed and lose.
Finger execises are here
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12294
My guitar selection advice would be to get as few scales and chord under your belt and then try as many guitars as you can. I think you will fine something that will feel like the right one for you.
Good luck and happy pickin'
# 4
2gross4u
2gross4u
04/27/2013 2:02 pm
Originally Posted by: bobbysan07Just starting out, you might consider a classical acoustic with nylon strings. The strings have less tension so your fingers aren't deforming as much when you fret. The tone isn't as bright as a steel string acoustic. Some of the necks on these guitars are wider than steel strings, some are not. Why the difference I don't know.

There are plenty of great guitarists with cigar butt fingers.

The reason that the strings are spread a little wider (or farther apart) on classical and flamenco guitars(nylon string guitars) is because this type of playing uses much more "finger-picking" style playing. The wider spacing makes it a little easier. Just an FYI-Jim
# 5
irishsnout
irishsnout
05/01/2013 9:53 am
I have overall normal sized hands but with big palms and stubby fingers. things I consider are the thickness of the neck, width of the neck at the nut and the scale length (nut to bridge distance.) You may like a wide neck with shorter scale length. usually this gives your digits room for chords and is easier for those wide fret to fret stretches. Next time you hit the guitar store, try a few different neck types. hope that helps.
# 6
bub.havlin
bub.havlin
05/12/2020 1:56 pm

This is more a matter of ability than physical limitations. There are kids in elementary school who can play chords and such. It is just a matter of practicing. Short stubby fingers may have its disadvantages however it will not prevent you from playing. Practice often and practice well.

# 7
dsk6
dsk6
05/21/2020 2:14 am

Gibson acoustics/Epiphone work well for my little hands

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.