Help with acoustic guitar selection

jtf8751
jtf8751
04/11/2012 8:00 pm
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and forums and although I've played guitar for a few years I still find myself as a beginner. I have a guitar already but its not that great and I want to start getting serious about playing so i want a very good sounding acoustic guitar. I like to play alot of alternative such as breaking benjamin, shinedown, staind, etc. I've been told taylor is a good one but not sure which models or components to get in the guitar. Budget can be upwards of $700-$800 but thats high end. Can someone help me out? I do want electronics in the guitar also. Thanks for the help.
# 1
JayA71
Full Access
JayA71
Full Access
04/12/2012 1:00 pm
I'm a complete noob, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'm also a big researcher. Before I bought my first guitar, I did a lot of research--internet and interviews--on what the best acoustic guitar for beginners would be. The two that kept coming up over and over, were the Yamaha FG700S and the Seagull S6 Original. Both are in the $200-400 range.

I tried out both personally, and I found them both easy to play, with a good sound. I went with the Seagull, as I felt it was slightly easier on the fingers, with a wider fretboard, and had a little warmer tone to it.

Hope this helps!
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
04/13/2012 3:46 am
Try lots of guitars and don't care who makes it for now. $500.00 to $800.00 can buy many different fine guiatrs. I find that different guitars bring different things out of me. One day you will be trying different guitars in a music store and you will be playing one that fits your hand right and speaks to you in a way that let's you speak through it. After you decide it feels right and is the one you want. Hold it out in front of you and look who made. Then you will know who makes the guitar you should buy.
# 3
compart1
compart1
04/13/2012 1:59 pm
I agree with haghj500...
You don't go pick a woman/man from others choices, so don't pick your guitar that way..
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/14/2012 3:11 am
Take a look at this one from Martin:

http://www.martinguitar.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=79:dcx1e&Itemid=6

Its got the built-in electronics, and I've played one, thought it sounded fantastic. One of the best acoustics I have tried, and I've played quite a few. It sounded better than my hand-made japanese acoustic which is worth about 3x more.

They say it sells for $999 but street price seems consistent at $699. Be warned, its made from composite materials, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, (look at Ovation) and the sound speaks for itself. Worth a look for sure.

Just as a side note, after about $600 or so you really start paying for the fancy smachy in-laid "mother of extinct weeping pearl" flying seagulls yada yada... may look nice, but has nothing to do with the sound of the guitar. I've tried some very expensive guitars that didn't sound nearly as good as others that were a third of the price.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.