Electric guitar cable holder?!

jonathanp12
Full Access
jonathanp12
Full Access
01/31/2009 11:06 pm
Hello all,

I don't know how it's called but I'm looking for the piece of equipment that help to hold the electric guitar cable in place. You know that thing that ensure the cable won't disconnect if we put a foot on it while playing. Almost every profesionnal guitarist using an electric have it.

I'll need it because the cable tend to disconnect from the jack hole of my Ibanez GAX30. That's the only problem that guitar has.

Please help me to identify it. That way I'll be able to buy it on a Web site.

Thank you very much to all.
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/01/2009 9:07 am
You don't need to buy anything to take care of the problem. Just do this:

• Start with your guitar slung in place with the strap, just as you wear it to play.
  • Pass the jack cord from the back of the guitar to the front, between the guitar body and the strap, just above the endpin where the strap is attached.
  • pull through enough slack to allow you to plug in to the jack.
  • Pull back just enough of the cable slack to ensure that its out of the way, but not applying any stress on the cable connector.
  • You're good to go!

While I think of it: If you wear a belt, get into the habit of wearing it with the buckle positioned off to your fret-hand side instead of in the middle. No more buckle-rash on the back of your axe.

You're welcome. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jwb72
jwb72
02/01/2009 1:46 pm
I have also seen some attach the cable to a "D" ring with a zip tie, then clip the D ring to the guitar strap. Just be careful to keep the D ring away from the guitar, or you may scratch it up.
# 3
jonathanp12
Full Access
jonathanp12
Full Access
02/01/2009 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsYou don't need to buy anything to take care of the problem. Just do this:

• Start with your guitar slung in place with the strap, just as you wear it to play.
  • Pass the jack cord from the back of the guitar to the front, between the guitar body and the strap, just above the endpin where the strap is attached.
  • pull through enough slack to allow you to plug in to the jack.
  • Pull back just enough of the cable slack to ensure that its out of the way, but not applying any stress on the cable connector.
  • You're good to go!

While I think of it: If you wear a belt, get into the habit of wearing it with the buckle positioned off to your fret-hand side instead of in the middle. No more buckle-rash on the back of your axe.

You're welcome. :)

Oh, so that kind of equipment does not exists at all? I thought I had seen some people wearing it.

Good explanation of how to take care of the problem. Thanks!
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 4
jonathanp12
Full Access
jonathanp12
Full Access
02/01/2009 3:43 pm
Originally Posted by: jwb72I have also seen some attach the cable to a "D" ring with a zip tie, then clip the D ring to the guitar strap. Just be careful to keep the D ring away from the guitar, or you may scratch it up.

It's a good idea, thanks.
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 5
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
06/12/2013 3:48 pm
This is a old post but I think he is talking about something like this holder, I don't know what it is myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tSfDcN_qXg
For What It's Worth
# 6
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
06/12/2013 5:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Sgt TeeThis is a old post but I think he is talking about something like this holder, I don't know what it is myself

Actually thats a pick up to use with a guitar synth.

Roland GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer with GK-3 Divided Pickup to be precise

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-gr-20-guitar-synthesizer-with-gk-3-divided-pickup
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
06/13/2013 7:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Sgt TeeThis is a old post but I think he is talking about something like this holder, I don't know what it is myself

Yeah, like the guy above said, that's just a retrofitted Roland pickup system. However, he is wearing his cable exactly the way that was described... which is the easiest solution.
# 8
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
06/14/2013 4:23 am
Originally Posted by: jonathanp12Almost every profesionnal guitarist using an electric have it.

Exactly what Lord said... that's how all the pros have done it for ages. Threaded that way, you'll never be able to accidentally pull out the chord... I'd recommend strap locks though.
# 9
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
06/17/2013 3:41 am
That's the only way I have ever done it.

Another great benefit from doing it that way is strain relief on the wires inside. They'll last a ton longer without the gravity pull directly on the connector.
# 10
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/17/2013 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: GreggRich1That's the only way I have ever done it.

Another great benefit from doing it that way is strain relief on the wires inside. They'll last a ton longer without the gravity pull directly on the connector.

..and I thought it was cool when I saw Jimmy Page do it in 'The Song Remains the Same'.

Once I started playing, I found out why....
# 11
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/18/2013 12:46 am
Call me an infidel...a non-believer.

It seems to me that an amp cable that pops out when a tug is put on it, e.g., when stepping on the cable, is a *good* thing. It's like a safety breakaway.

But then, my guitar's jack is on the edge rather than the face of the guitar making such a tug a much more direct, straight pull. Just as I experienced this morning when trying to answer the phone with guitar strapped on. ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 12
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
06/18/2013 5:39 am
Originally Posted by: john of MT
It seems to me that an amp cable that pops out when a tug is put on it, e.g., when stepping on the cable, is a *good* thing. It's like a safety breakaway.

Absolutely... until you do it during a live performance: the cable pops out, hits the floor, and you get the joyous resulting sound full blast through the PA system!
# 13
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/18/2013 11:53 pm
Waiting for the day... :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 14
Kasperow
Kasperow
06/19/2013 6:18 am
Originally Posted by: GreggRich1Between the strap and guitar body

That's the only way I have ever done it.

This is basically how I do it too. I've got two cables, a regular straight-end cable, which I use from my pedals to my amp, and an angled-and-straight-end cable from the guitar to the pedals (The angled end is the end plugged into the guitar, while the straight end is the one plugged into the pedal). I then, before plugging the cable into the guitar, make sure it is stuck firmly in place.

Works for me just fine, although the cable tends to try getting in the way of the tone-buttons (good thing I rarely touch those anyway).
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 15
leomartines589
leomartines589
04/01/2020 9:40 am
Originally Posted by: jonathanp12Hello all,[br][br]I don't know how it's called but I'm looking for the piece of equipment that help to hold the electric guitar cable in place. You know that thing that ensure the cable won't disconnect if we put a foot on it while playing. Almost every profesionnal guitarist using an electric have it.[br][br]I'll need it because the cable tend to disconnect from the jack hole of my Ibanez GAX30. That's the only problem that guitar has.[br][br]Please help me to identify it. That way I'll be able to buy it on a Web site.[br][br]Thank you very much to all.
[br][br][br]Hi,[br]I think you need this wire organizers: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Clips-Management-Organizer-Nightstand/dp/B01H0CEDQC[br]They are pretty useful.[br][br]
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.