Tube Amp or Modeling amp?

Cavefish X
Cavefish X
09/10/2000 2:54 am
I am currently in the market to get a new amp. I have never used anything and never WANTED to use anything but a tube amp. I had it narrowed down to 3 amps.
Until....
A salesman told me to try this new Digital Modeling amp out from a company called Line6.
I was like ya,ya, whatever.. ok show me the latest fad. Needless to say, I was blown away..I couldnt believe there wasnt any tubes in it!! I physically turned the amp around, and sure enough there was nothing!! It had the full range of digital effects built right in the cabinet too!! And i could control it all with this huge pedalboard!! It was the AX-212 model I think.
So my deliemma is this: go with the Line6? Or go with a true tube amp? Ive narrowed it down to one of these: Peavey 5150, Carvin Legacy, Mesa Boogie Single rectifier.
All would be the combo version and are all in the same price range. any input would be much apreciated... Thanks!

------------------
Erik
cavefishX@aol.com
What's the difference between a puppy and a singer-songwriter?
Eventually the puppy stops whining.

# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
09/10/2000 10:47 am
If you wanna have a very wide variaty of different sounds, then go with the line6.

If you dont need more then a clean and distorted channel on an amp, go with a tube amp, cause their sound will always be better then a digital copy of it.

Im personally thinking of getting the 5150, have you ever tried it? Im curious on how it sounds, cause i havent gotten the chance to try it out yet.

Greetz, trendkillah
# 2
Cavefish X
Cavefish X
09/10/2000 11:52 am
The 5150 combo I tried had an incredible thick low end for rhythm playing and a real warm sustaining lead channel. I think I would have to dial back the gain in the amp and use my tube screamer to get the shred tone I like, which is a more high end type with presence. The thing has like 8 tubes in it...thats goin to be pretty spendy when it comes time to change them out...oh well, it would be worth it.

------------------
Erik
cavefishX@aol.com
Remember:
If you dont fight when you cant win, you'll never lose.

# 3
Luke
Luke
09/10/2000 12:58 pm
IT really depends on your musical taste.

I LOVE some modeling amps, alot of people won't admit it, but some are better than tubes.

I would go with the line6 if your going to use it for multiple sounds/tones, but if your looking for one tone that rules, you'd most likely like the Legacy.

I personally think the best amp there is is the Johnson JM250h ( ok, I know it's a head)
, but that just IMHO.

If you want a blues tone that totally takes your breath away then go with tubes, but if you won't a lot of different sounds/tones, go with the Johnson or the Line6.

(p.s.- are you a forum member at Jemsite?
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 4
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
09/10/2000 5:28 pm
First thing:
The Legacy is a good amp, but Steve Vai won't use it without all his Rocktron and other pre-amps hooked up to it. The 5150 has a real good sound going for it but if you notice when you stop playing, even with your volume all the way down, there's a lot of background noise. Out of your choices I say go with the Line 6. It has so many things you can do with it. On top of that, if you go on their web site they tell you the settings you need to sound like any of your favorite artists from Clapton, to Vai, to Dimebag of Pantera. Plain and simple, Line 6 kicks a$$.

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 5
Cavefish X
Cavefish X
09/10/2000 9:34 pm
Do you recomend getting the $300 floorboard with the Line6 amp right off the bat or can it wait?

Luke - no, Im not a Jemsite forum member...??

------------------
Erik
cavefishX@aol.com
Remember:
If you dont fight when you cant win, you'll never lose.

# 6
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
09/11/2000 1:53 am
It's funny, I have a line6, and I got it for 2 reasons. First of all, I was attracted to the same things you are, the versatility, the effects, and so on. 2nd of all, it was half off, but that's beside the point.
Anyway, I find that I haven't changed the settings in a long time, and even funnier, the amp I always use is a model of a solid state amp, the jazz chorus. My point is, you might like the bells and whistles at first, but you probably won't be switching between the different settings quite as much as you'd imagine. I found a setting i liked for a great clean tone, occassionally I add some chorus, and I'm set. Unles you're going to be performing and switching sounds a lot when you play, I think the 300 dollar floorboard can probably wait.
# 7
bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
09/11/2000 4:53 am
I have an AX2...it is a great amp. I love the sounds and the versatility. But I too only use about 4 basic sounds. However, if you're in a cover band etc., you'll love the multiple sounds and effects. The floorboard can be had for $200 if you look around. I also suggest hitting a huge chain store that sells them and buy a demo model that's been on the floor for a year or more. I got the AX2 for $600 that way. I've used it every day for 3 years and it kicks ass. But I also use tube amps.

I have a Boogie that I love a lot. I like the latest technology so I'll always have a DMA but I also love tube amps that kill with a couple of sounds. If you're going to get a tube amp I would suggest a Boogie. But I didn't know that Boogie was making a combo verison of the single recto? Is that new? You know, they used to make the Dual Calibre amps and they had a lead channel circut taken from the recto head. You can find them used for pretty good prices , relatively speaking.

And if you're playing out the Line 6 floorboard is not an option...you'll need and want it for sure.
http://shredlikehell.com

Shred Like Hell
# 8
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
09/12/2000 1:57 am
Just buy a midi pedal board if you really think you want a pedal board right now. Line 6 makes so much money from people buying the pedal board that comes with it. Midi is inexpensive, simple, and does everything (besides the expression pedal) that the line 6 board does.

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.