unplayable noise,hums,feedback in non-gibson LP's

anarchist
anarchist
08/22/2000 10:02 am
dear everyone , anyone :

i payed a visit to a totally friendly guitar shop to look for a Epiphone LesPaul or any LP look alike .Well to start things off im not those really LOADED kinda guy so i decided to look for a NON-GIBSON LP . Before this i'd always thought that LP's has that fat ,creamy ,thick sound which is very suitable for certain rock and mainloy blues ,which is what im looking for .

When i told them i wanted an epi LP those guys immediately got off their seats and plugged a EPIphone LP standard into a fender amp set the amp volume around 40% ,turn the LP's two volumes ,and two tone knobs to max , and there u go , the hummings and awful ear piercing ,unplayable feedback ( more like noisy, high pitched humming) started to sound.It was totaly unbearable at all ,not to mention unplayable.

Then next they plug in a strat around the same price and did the same with the knobs ( tone -> max ) , it produces nice lead sound .Wether it is clear or distortion ,absolutely NO noisy feedback which i mentioned about earleir .

Then they said this is the main difference between normal strat bodies and non-gibson LP's .
i begin to have that shivering feeling up my spine as i was just so determined to go for a cheap LP. now i realised the truth behind it . For the price one pays for a epiphone LP , you can get a much better Strat version ,be it fender or something . Now i felt for how the LP owners out there ,they can only play their guitar without much treble , tone down to minimum.

...what use of a guitar if it cant be played at all ? this is really a useless piece of crap for a beginner who's looking to improve their skills , aint bad guitars like epi LP isnt helping at all , UNLESS , of course if u turn the amp to 1 and turn down the tone knobs on the LP to 0 ( even my fart has more tone that what this set-up produces) . obviously this kills the versatality , it kills everything.

(will noise cancelling device help ? )

QUESTION ,however : Is there anything that can beat this problem in epi LP's ? i've heard of a NOISE CANCELLING DEVICE but i wonder how much can it help and for what price , would it have to sacrifice any sound quality if it is used ?

thanks for reading.REPLY me PLEASE , i need voice .
# 1
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
08/22/2000 12:43 pm
yo, the epiphone standard lp's are good maybe you were standing to close to the amplifier or had the pickups right in the face of it. Epi's are a very good guitars, a lot of pros use em, well when you get up there in price? Was it that cheap les paul special, the non-carved top one with only 2 knobs instead of 4 that usually runs about $150 usd, if so, there you go. i don't know what's up with that,my friend had a standard and it was good. if you want an lp you can buy or try gretch's subsidiary, electromatic they make some decent jets you can get a nice one for a bout 300-350 with a bigsby trem carved top gold and silver flaked. i need my gretsch back!!!, it was recently stolen from my house. that sucks!!!!, good thing is i bought it off the street from a crackhead for $75, $75 for a close to $1000 guitar pretty good deal eh?

------------------
And that's the bottomline............

[This message has been edited by jake sommers (edited 08-22-2000).]
"Take my hand boss"
# 2
anarchist
anarchist
08/22/2000 1:22 pm
weeeeeelllll ........maybe ! this guy just sits right infront of that freakin amp. i even asked my other friend who owns a LP custom to do the same test. Only this time the awful feedback achieved when he cranked the distortion past 50% .

note: i am pretty sure it is not a LP special crap. It's a standard.

however the guitar shop guy really insists on me against buying a LP as he demonstrated a fender strat copy with the same amp ,same distance ....but without any feedback .

Well , i aint gonna change my mind afterall i guess about buyin a epi LP ...or a copy. Coz those strats just sucks in looks and doesnt have that thick ,warm ,creamy sound that only LP's have ........

but still .....any info's or suggestions on any "NOISE REDUCTION DEVICE" ? i guess i'll be needin it.
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
08/22/2000 7:28 pm
I really think you should try a different store.

It sounds like these guys were pretty biased.

Maybe there was something wrong with that particular LP.

Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
C-Hawks
C-Hawks
09/11/2000 8:14 pm
The problem is the pickup(s). One of my guitars is an Epi LP Custom Black Beauty, and the pickups are very microphonic. This happens when the pickups are wound loosely, causing them to vibrate and create feedback. Most of the Epi LPs are notorious for this. Spend $80 or $100 and get a good pickup in it and it should sound great.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.