im new and wanna buy a lespaul

anarchist
anarchist
07/16/2000 6:38 pm
Hi i've just picked up a guitar about one year ago ( acoustic ) and now im planning to buy a lespaul ... as said by one of the previous user in this forum ,i dont have a 10 min. solo to try on any guitar in the guitar shop . ...

but im determined to look for a lespaul ( special edition,i think....or any lespaul with the lowest price) ...new one. Can anyone pls tell me the cheapest lespaul available in market ? (new one ,new one !)

u guys rock!
# 1
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
07/16/2000 10:23 pm
It all depends on what kind of quality you want. Gibson makes fine fine guitars (even though they are overpriced when theyre new). Epiphone makes cheaper (in price and quality) guitars, and their 'good' les pauls are about the same quality as a 'cheap' gibson les paul special or les paul studio. However, the Gibson les paul standard and the customs are nice, super nice. youll never find another guitar finer. the epiphones go for anywhere between $200-$700, and the gibsons are from $700-up new. if you buy used you can find an awesome quality gibson for less than the price of an epiphone. its all up to you though really. any more questions about em just ask.

Atomic
# 2
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
07/16/2000 11:58 pm
gibson doesn't make crap and put their name on it. gibson has some high standard for the instruments unlike some companies out here right now. the les paul studio model can be bought used for like 5 or $600 but they aren't as nice as the standards or customs like AMU says. look on ebay at gibson lespauls so you can get a price range of new,vintage and used lp's.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 3
loner92
loner92
07/17/2000 5:20 am
Gibson LPs are very nice, but they're definitely overpriced (the Gibson Les Paul standard currently lists for $3299, waaaaaaay too much for a guitar unless you're rich). Shop around, see wat feels good, you can find a great guitar for much less than that. If what you want is the Les Paul sound, get something with a mahogany body & either a set neck or neck through contruction (more sustain that a LP's set neck joint) with a FIXED BRIDGE, perferrably a stop tailpeice or string through body construction (very important, a floating trem or any trem will kill the LP like sustain & tone), and 2 humbuckers. Right now, you can get a Washburn WI64 w/ a quilt maple top, Buzz Feiten tuning system, mahogony body & neck, stop tailpeice & tune-o-matic bridge, Grover tuners, and 2 humbuckers with a "spin-split" coil tapping system (very cool, if you haven't ever used one) that lists for $799 for $399 from musician's friend. With Gibson, Fender, and maybe even Epiphone, you pay a lot for the name. You can get a custom built Carvin for a lot less that a Les Paul, too.

[This message has been edited by loner92 (edited 07-17-2000).]

# 4
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
07/18/2000 12:09 am
list price and what you pay for a guitar are two different things. The list price is usually twice as much what you pay for. the most a les paul standard or custom costs is usually under $1800 new or used unless they're like an anniversary or special year;like really old.
i think prs overcharges for guitars it's like $3500 for the kind of prs Carlos uses. that's way too much. they sound sweet as hell but that's just too much money.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 5
anarchist
anarchist
07/20/2000 12:37 pm
wow thanks everyone ..im going to buy it in a week's time.

Just two days ago i went to try out a LesPaul special . It's the cheapest range of LesPaul series i can find. One thing about it though ,is the 3 way switch on the guitar... when i switch it to 'treble' mode ,it'll have the lead effect which makes a note holds for very long time ; then when i switched it to the 'mid' mode it actually turns into the distortion mode ! ; Finally when i switch it to the 'bass' mode it has no effects , just clear strings ringing. This is so weird.

My oh my , is this how a 3 way switch suppose to function ? B4 that i played one of my friend's LesPaul standard which has a similar switch but it only switches between emphasizing level of treble ,bass or mid.....

Tell me which are better better choice for low range amps

1. marshall.
2. peavey
3. (otherssss, pls reccomend)

u guys are my life saviour.thanks.
# 6
anarchist
anarchist
07/20/2000 1:31 pm
i have some questions on LesPauls here..

why are there some LesPauls with three humbucker pickups with 2 volume + 2 tone knob ,while there are others in two pickups and one tone + one volume ......

There are also those with two pickups ,two pair of knobs...

help me ,im confused,how this works ?
# 7
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
07/21/2000 4:25 am
Marshall is the way to go in my book. Uhmm... about the 2 way switch with the 2 volume controls - it's just another way of getting sounds out of your guitar. You can have one turned up all the way for lead and the other turned down a bit for rhythym stuff and easily switch between the two. Or, I turn one pickup all the way down and keep the other up and use the toggle switch as a "kill" switch to quickly turn it off. You can also do some cool stuff with soloing with the kill switch and get some cool sounds

# 8
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
07/21/2000 5:03 am
cheap amps... er... find whatever is free from someone who has an amp and doesnt use it, then start saving for something moderately good. Line6, Johnson, Mesa/Boogie, Marshall, Fender (tube amps, not solid state), things like that are all good. what kind of sound are you looking for?
i dont recommend peavey for anything, at all other than cheap price.

Atomic
# 9
loner92
loner92
07/21/2000 6:34 am
Have you ever played the Peavey EVH Wolfgang model? I don't know too much about the rest of their stuff, but the Wolfgang is without a doubt the best guitar I've played on. Great neck (great feel, (raw without a finish on it), frets put irectly into the neck, etc..) , impossibly fast action, non-floating floyd rose for tremomlo with more tone & sustain, stock "d-tuna", stock DiMarzio Tone Zones.... You just have to play one to believe it (especially the standard w/ a birdseye maple neck... gives me the chills just thinking about it). PLAY ONE!

[This message has been edited by loner92 (edited 07-22-2000).]

# 10
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
07/22/2000 1:38 am
yeah you ever hear tom morello from rage against the machine. he's the best at toggle switch playing. he can make some really cool sounding stuff.

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/22/2000 3:38 am
Gibson will put their name on crap, my dad had a les paul studio, the finish was horrible (the neck gummed up if you played it even for a few minutes), and the frets were dressed badly. The tone was OK, but if it doesn't play well, then what good is it?
As for Epiphones, shop around. But to reitterate a few points made earlier, Settle for nothing less than a set neck and humbuckers. I can say my little brother's Epi is one of nices playing and sounding Les Pauls I've seen in the area (excluding multi thousand dollar instruments of course).
Next, Peavey amps:
Their tube amps are good. I'de take a Classic 50 or Classic 50/410 over a fender any day. It's simply a far more versital amp, and sounds great too. Especially for the money. Basicly, any Peavey tube amp should be a good buy. For guitar, they're is no substitute for tube amps. But shop around, and see what you can find. Look for tone and relyability above all else.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
07/22/2000 4:42 am
how much did your dad pay for this crap gibson?

------------------
Jake Sommers
"Take my hand boss"
# 13
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
07/24/2000 7:40 pm
oh, i almost forgot that you can also buy gibson Smartwood Lp's you can get one of those for about 6 or 7 hundred. They don't look as good as the flamed ones but they play good from what i've been told.

------------------
And that's the bottomline............
"Take my hand boss"
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.