guitar maintenance

05/05/2000 9:16 pm
Hi I'm a relatively new guitarist, and recently bought a new guitar. It's pretty nice and I'm hoping to have it for a while, so I'm wondering what kind of measures I should take to keep it in good condition; for example, humidifiers- what's the deal with them? Polishing/cleaning the fretboard? Stuff like that-, you know, the little stuff you learn over the years. My guitar is a Simon and Patrick solidbody, with a rosewood fretboard. It's made in Quebec, Canada, which is good because the wood is native amd less likely to have problems with environmental concerns, or so I've heard (I live in Canada also). Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

James
# 1
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
05/14/2000 6:02 am
I'm anal about my guitar's "health" and so after every session of playing, i take a rag and clean the strings, wipe down the fretboard, and then clean the fingerprints off of the body. Also, don't do what I made the mistake of doing, and walk around with your guitar strapped to your body. My old guitar got pretty thrashed up from doing that. I have a small personal studio, and whenever i'd start messing with some controls, the guitar would swing around and hit amps, my mixer, or a table leg or something and I got some pretty good size dents in it. Finally, if it's an electric, I highly recomend a locking guitar strap, because most other ones will pop off eventually for no apparent reason, and that'll leave you with some good marks on your axe. Hope it helps...
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/14/2000 6:41 am
> Also, don't do what I made the mistake of doing,and walk around with your guitar strapped to your
> body. My old guitar got pretty thrashed up from doing that.

Heh...sounds familiar. My guitar looks like the surface of the moon it's got so many craters. I'm the total opposite when it comes to taking care of equipment. I figure by leaving my guitar lying around in the open I'm more likely to pick it up and play it than always sticking it in the case all the time.
Peace & Grooviness
schmange
wavelength@tvo.org

Sunday, May 14, 2000
2:40:56 AM

# 3
Rockinstrat
Rockinstrat
06/21/2000 6:42 pm
My guitar got banged uptoo, but it wasnt my fault, the stupid guy at the guitar store was changing a string (i didnt know how to at that time) and he kept banging it to get the little piece at the end of the string out, he ended up making a scratch and now it got worse, i can see the wood now. It sucks but my firend joked saying "sooner or later youll have a natural finish on your guitar"
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.