Now I've done it!

jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
10/16/2005 4:36 pm
Ok, I have just sold my three guitars in order to buy one really special one.
I've got £1000 to spend.
I thought I wanted a Les paul standard, but after spending some time in a guitar shop yesterday playing a few I wasn't impressed.
They just didn't feel right and certainly not worth the money (in my opinion).
Now I don't know what I want.
I quite like the ESP LTD EC1000 in black and even the Truckster, I even contemplated a Parker Fly.
Anyway I appreciate that guitars are subjective things but do you have any thought on the best guitar for this price range?

:confused:
[FONT=Tahoma]Jedicaster[/FONT]

I am vibrating at the speed of light.
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 7:00 pm
Are you after a guitar for a particular style, or are you after a "Jack-of-all-trades"?

Regardless of the above, one of the easiest ways of picking a guitar (other than asking someone) is to wander into a shop and play a few...don't necessarily go for the guitars you've always *thought* you've wanted, try some of the ones you've never noticed before - you'll often be very surprised...

On a side note...how did you manage to part with THREE guitars?!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
10/16/2005 8:00 pm
On a side note...how did you manage to part with THREE guitars?![/QUOTE]

Tell me about it. I used to have 8 a little while ago.
Anyway when they were collected I started to have doubts. However the band has just folded as they do and I've been drooling over the guitar mags.
It just happened. ;)

# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/17/2005 1:30 am
[font=trebuchet ms]If you find Les Pauls disappointing, look into some old Tokai Love Rocks or Yamaha Studio Lord guitars.

>(1978) tobacco 'burst SL800 Studio Lord<

Back in 1984, I went downtown with a fistful of money, intent on buying a new Les Paul Custom. I came home with a Yamaha SBG1000 instead. Like a double-cutaway LP. My set-neck axe is not as pretty as these neck-through-body beauties, but then it was half the price of the Les Paul. And these fit your budget.

>(2004) black pearl SG3000 Custom with factory Seymour Duncan pickups<

>(mid-80's?) cream SBG3000<

>(2002) gold-top SG3000<

Not to forget Fender's favourite:

>(1972) natural SR500S stratocopy<

These are all on eBay Canada. You can probably find them on eBay UK.

Yeah, I like Yamahas. Build quality is so consistent that I bought an identical twin to my first SBG1000 on eBay, and it was every bit as good as my first one. I also own a RGB350 bass, and a late-60's SA-30 12-string hollow-body.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/18/2005 2:58 pm
(Quote Lordathestrings)

How can that not be a Fender. Did Fender give them rights or something?Because the similarities isn't funny. In a few words....thats a Fender Strat.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/18/2005 6:24 pm
Originally Posted by: Fenderalltheway.... In a few words....thats a Fender Strat.
[font=trebuchet ms]Actually, the fit and finish is at least as good as any Am-strat, but it's all Japanese. These are called 'lawsuit' models, for obvious reasons.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
10/18/2005 10:27 pm
I still swear by my Ernie Ball/Music Man EVH. The Axis model is of course the same guitar with just a few changes (contour on back, toggle switch was moved). I usually describe it as a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat.

The Axis is worth checking out....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/19/2005 1:23 am
Originally Posted by: Fenderalltheway(Quote Lordathestrings)

How can that not be a Fender. Did Fender give them rights or something?Because the similarities isn't funny. In a few words....thats a Fender Strat.

As Lord stated, this guitar was from the lawsuit era of japanese guitars. Ibanez, Tokai, Fernandes, Yamaha, and a couple of others were making replicas of familiar american designs and Fender and Gibson both sued these companies and forced them to make minor alterations to these guitars like headstock shape. Funny thing is, that at the time, these companies were actually making better copies of these designs than the american manufactures of the time. The Les Pauls and Strats of the early 80's weren't very desireable at the time, and not just 'cause pointy guitars were popular at the time. They just weren't that great. Especially the strats of the early to mid 80's. Bad neck pocket fits, heavy woods, crummy p/u's, cheaper hardware, etc...

These japanes copies of this era are actually more desireable to knowledgeable collectors than the "real" thing.

And that is one nice Yamaha...If I had a place to hide it I'd jump on it. I just don't know where I could hide it, and I prefer my bed to the couch! :D
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/19/2005 1:24 pm
I love my Les Paul Classic. It has great tone, a thin neck, sustains forever and is very reliable. I also love my Tele. I'm fairly traditional, I like my Fenders and Gibsons. I do like the Ibanez artist series. The ones that look like Lord's Yamaha SGB1000. Those are cool and I'd like to get my hands on one.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/20/2005 5:07 am
Originally Posted by: Tele Master... I do like the Ibanez artist series. The ones that look like Lord's Yamaha SGB1000. Those are cool and I'd like to get my hands on one.
[font=trebuchet ms]hmm...

>one<

>two<

And that's just in Ontario![/font]

I have happy memories of an evening spent listening to some spectacularly great tone emanating from an Ibanez Artist being wielded by a skilled player in one of my favourite clubs. Definitely a killer axe in the right hands! :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/20/2005 12:04 pm
YUP..those are the ones.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 11
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
10/31/2005 9:46 pm
Back in the 70's I had an Ibanez "Lawsuit Les Paul". Traded the nonstock Dimarzzio super distortion p.u. for a set of Gibson h.b.'s. Awsome guitar, if you can find one. Right now I've got a Godin Exit 22-s. This is the best all purpose guitar I've every played for $497.00. It has ssh pickup setup, real bluesy with the neck and middle single coils, stinging rock leads out of the bridge humbucker. If you go to godinguitars.com it's one of the performance series. Nice, no non-sense satin finished mahogony body. The neck is also a satin finish which makes it really easy to move up and down. Also, has very decent hardware for a mid priced guitar and comes with the straplock buttons attached. No case, but it comes with a very heavy duty, weather proof gig bag with shoulder straps, kinda reminds me of my Jansport backpack.
# 12
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/03/2005 6:56 am
now that's been a few weeks, I would assume you got another guitar by now.. tell us what you got!

and if you didn't get one... then how on earth did you go for that long without a guitar??? :eek:
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 13
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
11/03/2005 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsnow that's been a few weeks, I would assume you got another guitar by now.. tell us what you got!

and if you didn't get one... then how on earth did you go for that long without a guitar??? :eek:

Well I have now got another guitar
I had a to try out a few hence the amount of time taken.

I've always wanted one of these and always wanted one in black. It sounds great, plays very well with it's 60's neck and I knocked the shop down £300.

It is a Gibson les Paul standard
I've been trying to include a picture on this thread, but if it dosen't work please view my web under my profile.

# 14
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/03/2005 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: jedicasterWell I have now got another guitar
I had a to try out a few hence the amount of time taken.

I've always wanted one of these and always wanted one in black. It sounds great, plays very well with it's 60's neck and I knocked the shop down £300.

It is a Gibson les Paul standard
I've been trying to include a picture on this thread, but if it dosen't work please view my web under my profile.

first of all... beautiful guitar dude!

secondly, 300 pounds is like $600 american dollars... how on earth did you get it so cheap? (they cost like $2300 brand new here)

lastly, what are you going to do with your other 700 pounds?
my spyspace
# 15
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
11/03/2005 8:29 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsfirst of all... beautiful guitar dude!

secondly, 300 pounds is like $600 american dollars... how on earth did you get it so cheap? (they cost like $2300 brand new here)

lastly, what are you going to do with your other 700 pounds?

Many thanks I'm really pleased with it.
I jammed for the first time yesterday and it just sounds great.
It has amazing sustain and feels right.
Appologies for any confusion though, I got £300 off the total price.
I have spent all my money.
But it was worth it.

# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/03/2005 8:33 pm
Originally Posted by: jedicasterMany thanks I'm really pleased with it.
I jammed for the first time yesterday and it just sounds great.
It has amazing sustain and feels right.
Appologies for any confusion though, I got £300 off the total price.
I have spent all my money.
But it was worth it.

ah! I see. glad you like it! nothing like getting a guitar you've had your eye on for a long time.
my spyspace
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.