Descending sixth intervals

will.oconnor17
will.oconnor17
02/22/2021 2:05 am

Hey! I've just been learning the parts to "YCAGWYW" by the Stones and I'm a bit confused by a bit on the post-chorus part that Mike teaches with guitar 2 (the lead electric guitar), where there's some sweet sounding sixth intervals going on. The chord progression is going from a C major to an F major and the song is supposedly key of C but all the intervals being used in this section seem like they're straight from the key of F. For example, the C chord is highlighted initially with a slide into the E note (14th fret of the D string) and C note (13th fret of the B string) and then slides backwards with a slide to the D note (12th fret of the D string) and 11th fret of the B string which is a Bb note and obviously isnt in the C major scale but is in F major. All the other intervals in this section also seem to be straight out of the key of F major. Just wanted a bit of clarification on this.

Cheers,

Will

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2021 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: will.oconnor17

The chord progression is going from a C major to an F major and the song is supposedly key of C but all the intervals being used in this section seem like they're straight from the key of F.

[p]Good observation! Using the minor 7th scale degree in a major key is what gives music a characteristically bluesy sound. That's exactly what the Stones were going for here.

In more theorectical terms it's a way of voice leading the chord change from C to F. Essentially it's like making the C into a C7(c-e-g-b-flat) which is the V (dominant five chord) of F. So you are starting in C, but then making the C a C7 chord, briefly modulating to F major.

Hope that makes sense!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
will.oconnor17
will.oconnor17
02/22/2021 11:03 pm

Thanks Christopher! Thinking of it as a brief modulation (C mixolydian) definitely helps clear things up for me. Definitely going to try and keep incorporating sixth and third intervals into my playing.

Thanks again,

Will

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/23/2021 12:17 pm
Originally Posted by: will.oconnor17

Thanks Christopher! Thinking of it as a brief modulation (C mixolydian) definitely helps clear things up for me. Definitely going to try and keep incorporating sixth and third intervals into my playing.

Good deal! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.