Major & minor grid scales along the fretboard

xamovz
xamovz
07/23/2020 1:21 pm

Hi there,

I have a doubt in regards to the lesson "more scale patterns" in chapter 3 rock soloing 101 of the rock section level 1; if we find the A note on 2nd fret G string, 7th fret on D string and so on, we can play the A major scale all along the fretboard these 8 notes.

I noticed the grid of major scale, studied in the fundamentals course, it's the same grid starting on the 2nd fret, but when I went up to the 7th fret the grid changed a litlle as it starts on the 7th fret D string but goes down to the 6th fret on G string. It follows a similar pattern of the minor scale grid, and that's what confused me. what is the reason the grid actually moves one fret up or down?

Xavier

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2020 2:01 pm
Originally Posted by: xamovz

I noticed the grid of major scale, studied in the fundamentals course, it's the same grid starting on the 2nd fret, but when you went up to the 7th fret the grid changed a litlle as it starts on the 7th fret D string but goes down to the 6th fret on G string if I am not mistaken, following a similar pattern of the minor scale grid, and that's what confused.

The reason the grid changes is because the B string is tuned an interval of a major 3rd or 4 frets higher than the G string. All the other strings are tuned a 4th or 5 frets higher.

Thereforeany pattern that crosses from the G to the B string has to be adjusted up 1 fret to make up for the difference. Once the pattern gets to the high E string it remains the same.

Look at this image.

Notice the position of the scale degree. In the first pattern all the notes are on strings all tuned 5 frets apart. So, the 1st is 1 fret higher than the 3rd & 6th. The 2nd, 5th & 7th are all on the same frets.

But when you move the pattern to cross the G to B strings, that part of the pattern has to shift up 1 fret.

I explain this in depth & detail in here. I'm currently updating this old tutorial & the corresponding minor scale one, too. :)

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=453

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
xamovz
xamovz
07/23/2020 2:45 pm

It really does Christopher, I'll mull it over as I am a beginner and prefer to know the reasons of these changes rather than memorizing positions by heart just because.

very useful, thanks a lot. [br]Xavier.

# 3
xamovz
xamovz
07/23/2020 3:47 pm

Okay, all clear! Hard to understand hoe strings are tune 4/5 frets higher but...playing the 8 notes from 6th to 1st string made it clear.

E & A strings same grid pattern, D and G strings have their own grid pattern.

so 3 patterns to remember,

E and A strings grid

D string grid

G string grid

:)

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/24/2020 1:47 pm
Originally Posted by: xamovzHard to understand hoe strings are tune 4/5 frets higher but[/quote]

See if this makes it more clear.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11135

[quote=xamovz]...playing the 8 notes from 6th to 1st string made it clear.

E & A strings same grid pattern, D and G strings have their own grid pattern.

so 3 patterns to remember,

Good deal!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
xamovz
xamovz
07/24/2020 8:29 pm

once again thanks Christopher, it really helps![br][br]

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.