Scale won't work with root on B string

jimfender
jimfender
11/08/2018 8:45 pm

I am in Guitar Fundementals 2 and Lisa has just covered the "moveable box" scale.

If the root is on one of the other strings, besides the High E, should it work ?

If yes, I am not getting it

Thanks

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/09/2018 1:49 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! Glad you are working through the GF courses.

Originally Posted by: jimfender

If the root is on one of the other strings, besides the High E, should it work ?

If I understand your question, then, yes the pattern will change. The interval distance between each string is a 4th (5 frets). The except is the distance between the G & B strings, which is a major 3rd (4 frets). The result is that any pattern you move vertically, change the string you root it on will have to be adjusted when it crosses the G & B strings.

For example, you can play the C major scale like this.

Here we see the 4, 5 & 6 are shifted up one fret relative to the 3, 4 & 5 because the B string is tuned one fret lower! In order to make the scale sound correct we have to adjust the pattern to make up for the B string being tuned differently!

Ultimately, it helps to understand that all major scales have the same interval formula (set of interval distances between the notes). So, all the various fretboard patterns & shapes we have to make to play any given major scale are simply a result of trying to apply that formula to the guitar.

I cover this issue in detail in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

I also show how this principle is eventually used to play a scale over the entire guitar.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=453

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.