Scale question.

brandon407
brandon407
07/22/2018 3:22 am

Hello,

I am reading up on the Em Scale. I am reading that the notes are E,F#,G,A,B,C,D , but I am showing that the scale formula is 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 I am confused on how the G# is not shart but the F is according to the formula shouldnt the third note be Sharp?

# 1
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
07/22/2018 4:54 am

Remember to derive natural minor scale from parallel major scale.

E major scale:

E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D#

Using the formula 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7 we get E natural minor scale:

E - F# - G - A - B - C - D

Other way to derive a natural minor scale is using relative major/minor method. Relative minor for a major scale starts from 6th scale degree. You can use circle of fifths to identify relative major/minor.

The relative major scale for Em is G major.

G major scale: G - A - B - C - D - E -F#

Starting from 6th degree we get E natural minor. The result is the same as with the first method.

# 2
brandon407
brandon407
07/22/2018 11:12 am

I think where I am is confused is 1 - 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7 . Wouldnt it be like E,F,G#,A,B,C#,D# . I thought when there was like a b3 it was a #.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/22/2018 2:12 pm
Originally Posted by: brandon407

I am reading up on the Em Scale. I am reading that the notes are E,F#,G,A,B,C,D , but I am showing that the scale formula is 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7 I am confused on how the G# is not shart but the F is according to the formula shouldnt the third note be Sharp?

You have the right idea but are applying it the wrong way! :) I think you might be conflating the scale degrees accidentals (sharps & flats) of one particular scale with the musical alphabet letters accidentals.

The musical alphabet is a constant, unchanging system of 12 notes that repeats over & again for as low or high as any given instrument ranges.

A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, repeat.

Each one of those is a half step apart. Any sharp can be renamed flat of the next letter (i.e.: A# is also B-flat) Any given scale starts on one of those letters & then applies the scale formula regardless of which natural or accidental it uses.

So, the A minor scale happens to have no accidentals because when you apply the minor scale formula.

A (root) whole step to

B (2nd) half step to

C (minor 3rd) whole step to

D (4th) whole step to

E (5th) half step to

F (minor 6th) whole step to

G (minor 7th) whole step to

A (root)

But the E minor scale has one sharp because when you start on E & apply the scale formula to the musical alphabet that is just where the notes happen to land.

E (root) whole step to

F# (2nd) half step to

G (minor 3rd) whole step to

A (4th) whole step to

B (5th) half step to

C (minor 6th) whole step to

D (minor 7th) whole step to

E (root)

One more example! If you want to play D minor, then you start on D but find that it's much easier to use flats for labelling.

D (root) whole step to

E (2nd) half step to

F (minor 3rd) whole step to

G (4th) whole step to

A (5th) half step to

B-flat (minor 6th) whole step to

C (minor 7th) whole step to

D (root)

You could call the B-flat an A#, but the problem is that you are already using the letter A on the 5th degree. So, for conceptual clarity & perceptual ease we call it B-flat in order to avoid doubling of the letters in one scale.

Hope that helps! Thanks to Jarkko for replying!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
brandon407
brandon407
07/22/2018 4:13 pm

Thank you!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.