Creating an extented chord harmony

jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
12/13/2017 6:56 am

How should I approach this. I'm harmonizing chord melody, where I have a melody (that's obvious) and decenting bass line. I also know the chord I'm starting a phrase, and targer chord where to end it. Those melody and bass gives me two pitches for each chord. I know I have to use chord inversions, and to get all the notes fit I'm likely to have to try between dominant 7, minor 7, major 7 and half-diminished m7b5, maybe put in some 11 or 13 chords, then strip down some voices for the sake of chord fingering.

I'm aware of cadences, and know common chord progressions, jazz: ii-V-I, blues rock I-IV-V and pop I-V-vi-IV. Still, as a first timer, this is somewhat overwhelming.

How should I do the voice leading here? Can I go with leading and passing tones, or will it end up to chaos. Or is it better to try to follow the scale, and use seconcary dominants if the chords in scale don't fit in. At least then it follows some "rules".

Does GT have lessons for extended chord harmonies?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/13/2017 4:09 pm
Originally Posted by: jarkko.eklund

How should I approach this. I'm harmonizing chord melody, where I have a melody (that's obvious) and decenting bass line. I also know the chord I'm starting a phrase, and targer chord where to end it. Those melody and bass gives me two pitches for each chord.

[p]Great topic! :)

First it helps to just be able to map out the tune in a bare bones manner. Just be able to play the melody while keeping a chord happening on every beat. Or start with a steady single bass note on every beat if that makes it easier.

Next, it depends on how much time the melody gives you to put in other info (bass line, chord inversions, chord substitutions, lead lines). And it also depends on the chord changes. In some tunes, the melody doesn't allow for many changes. In others, it allows a bit more freedom to add info. In others, the chord changes really make the tune & form an important thematic part.

I'm assuming you are working from a lead sheet (melody plus chord changes). If so, don't forget that the vast majority of times if you simply play the melody & look for a place to play the written chord along with the melody you are on your way!

[br]My jazz tutorials on walking bass lines (ala Joe Pass), and the extended harmony chords can show you the basic options. I group the chords into well used functional patterns.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014#Jazz_Guitar

Having said that, every tune is unique & presents it's own challenges. And especially when you are just getting started with this style it seems like the options are endless & all hazardous! :)

I outline some of my thought process in my GT jazz song tutorials.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014#Jazz_Songs

And I recently did a YT video on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp0dD4NjhNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYxqvJQv58g

[br]What tune are you working on? I'd love to go through step by step & give you options. Maybe that will help you see my thought process & get you started!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
12/14/2017 11:40 am

Thanks Christopher. It seems I've been totally overthinking this.

Somehow I have missed your Joe Pass series completely . I know what lessons to go through next.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/15/2017 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by: jarkko.eklund

Thanks Christopher. It seems I've been totally overthinking this.

Somehow I have missed your Joe Pass series completely . I know what lessons to go through next.

You're welcome! Yes, go through those & let me know if you have more questions. I would still love to help you work through a tune or any tricky spots if you need help. Have fun!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.