Fretboard Diagrams with Digital Photo Display

rakampa
rakampa
10/22/2017 3:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I've found an inexpensive and simple way to electronically display fretboard diagrams (scales, chords, arpeggios, theory references like Circle of Fifths) without using a laptop. Instead, I'm using a digital photo display, about $70. It has a 10-inch screen and remote, displays JPG files, and does this one thing well. Takes up very little table space too, as opposed to the laptop that hogs lots of space and requires mouse/keyboard interactions, which isn't as simple as going through JPGs on the photo display using the remote. The photo display has reduced my paper clutter significantly.

This is the software I use to make the fretboard diagrams:

http://www.neckdiagrams.com/download

Free to try, $25 for the basic license. In Windows 10, I capture the diagrams to JPG files with Snipper, then copy to a USB thumb drive that plugs into the photo display.

Still use the laptop for standard music notation done in the freeware program, MuseScore 2:

https://musescore.org/en/download

I like it for playback and changing tempo, which can't be done with the photo display. And of course there's always paper and music stand. It's nice to have all three media available while studying/practicing.

So what are your ideas on making guitar study/practice easier, less cluttered and a richer experience without spending mountains of money?

Cheers, Ray

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
10/23/2017 6:50 pm

Hi rakampa,

This is a neat idea! Thanks for sharing. In the past, I've used a tablet or simply another screen attached to my computer! But of course, those aren't as portable or cheap.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.