Phrygian Dependence

sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
04/02/2002 2:27 pm
Hi guys...I have a little problem with the phrygian mode. The problem is that whenever I try to solo over some simple chords, my fingers - and most importantly my ears - favour the phrygian mode, maybe because I've heard songs written in phrygian mode a thousand times..it's very commonly used in our music (The modern Egyptian and Arabian) songs. How can I get rid of this phrygian dependencd thing? How can I get the taste of the other modes and use them to create good melody? Thanks...:)
Sherif Shaaban (Dr_Frankenstein™)
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
04/02/2002 5:01 pm
Not quite sure what the problem is? When soloing over a simple chord progression such as G to D, do you play a G phrygian scale or a B phrygian scale?
If you use a B phrygian scale do you actually resolve your phrases on the note B or just use the fingrering within that scale shape to improvise?
If you just use the fingering within that pattern to improvise melodies then you have no dependancy problem, because basically your just soloing within the G major scale.
To get better aquanted with the sounds of each mode try singing them while you practice, when you get to the point where you can sing them correctly without playing along then you know you have them in your ear.
Good Luck!!
# 2
sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
04/02/2002 9:35 pm
The problem is using - for example - the B phrygian scale over G and D chords, which makes all the things I do sound almost exactly the same....sorry if I didn't explain it from the start. I'll try your advise and see how things will go. Thanks :)
Sherif Shaaban (Dr_Frankenstein™)
# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
04/03/2002 1:34 am
what you need to do is re-invent yourself as a guitar player. only play like the dorian scale for a while, develop some other scale addictions, then you will be more rounded.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.