Keys and scales question?

reddiva
reddiva
07/10/2001 2:15 pm
Say I am inthe C key and want to combine my scales can I take the F pent,G pent and D pent to combine.Is this how it works???
# 1
alexander1577
alexander1577
07/11/2001 7:22 pm
You could combine them, but you will have to be careful how you do it. Some ways will work, some will not. Just go with what sounds good.
In the key of C, you will have C major, F major and G major. The D chord will be minor. Maybe as you are just beginning to expirement, try playing the C major pent over C,F and G chords. Try also, using the F major pent scale over the F chord and the G major pent scale over the G chord. And, try using the d minor pent scale over the d minor chord.
The most important thing is to let your ear decide what sounds good. Sometimes, as you get better with one scale, you find ways of just using the one scale in better sounding ways.

Good luck,
Michael
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/03/2001 8:53 am
Most "rock" guitarists find it easier to play in a minor key. The least complicated minor key is the "Relative Minor". This is just the sixth not in a scale. In the case of C Major (C D E F G A B) the sixth note is "A". This means you could solo through the whole passage in A Pentatonic, even the Dm chord.
You could also solo using C Major through the whoel progression. This is because all the chords are in the key of C.
I don't know how familar you are with modes, so I'll avoid using those as examples. There are other scales you can use which are in the key of C, but to avoid confuession too soon, I won't mention them. If you're interested in learning about modes then there are plenty of good sites around. Start here, there's some useful lessons. Then I suggest looking where I initially learnt a lot of stuff from. Ultimate Guitar Page - there's a link from GT.
Sorry if I've not helped any, hopefully you understand what I meant. If not, feel free to ask any question. If you want some help with modes too feel free to ask - it's what these forums are for!!!! Good luck and have fun.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3
letmedrown
letmedrown
08/07/2001 11:14 am
I use most of the time pentatonic scales, if you're in C, pentatonic major it's good.But I always play by ear, I find the scale then I go on on the fretboard...

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.