Hey Johan..... Again.

josh_underwood
josh_underwood
08/20/2000 1:51 am
Sorry To Bother You Again But I Would Like To Know How Many Modes There Are And How Many Positions There Can Be Of Each One. Like How Many Positions Are There In Ionian,Dorian Etc. To My Under Standing There are As Many Positions As There Are Keys Like A,Ab,B,c etc. Thanks for your help. And One More Thing Can You Read Music?
He's totaly Mad,Crazy,Loony Toony And Even Offty Mc.Goofty!!.... I LIKE HIM!!!!!

-------------------------
Have You Been Drinking??
Yes I Have, Ive Been Drinking From the Well Of Eternal Sadness.
ART THOU BETRAYING THE????!!! THY WILL PAYUS THY ULTIMATE PRICEUS!!! FOR THOU ARE THE GUITARUS WIZARDUS!!!!!
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/20/2000 12:01 pm
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd help you (and let Johan) out....
Basically, in the Ionian (Major Scale) there are 7 modes, one for every note in a scale...Basically all a mode is is the note of the Major scale (for example C - C D E F A G B) but started from a different note, (e.g. D - D E F G A B C) the notes themselves are the same, but in a different order, meaning there is a slightly different sound and "atmostphere" brought about by using them...
There are some very simple mathematical equations which can be used to work out the shape of a mode, but a better way is to find your own shapes by writting out the Major Scale (C D E F G A B for example) then starting on a different note (e.g. F this time) and finding the notes on the fretboard in a relativly local area, make a note of this shape, do another one, do them all and then practise them...
Hope I've helped...good luck!

I nearly forgot to mention (I've said in other posts, but I'll do it here too)

Ionian - Bright happy sounding (THE Major Scale)
Dorain - Minor sound. Mellow
Phrygian - Minor sound. Very evilish and mellow

Lydian - Jazz & Blue sound. Steve Vaughn used a lot.

Mixolydian - Sorta Bluesy major sound. Hard to describe

Aeloian - Natural Minor scale.

Locrian - Not used a lot. Minor sound. Very low soundDorian - Minor Sound

[This message has been edited by Willdridge (edited 08-20-2000).]
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/21/2000 12:28 pm
My music sheet reading skills sucks!!!
I can read sheet music but I´m very slow at it and I have a hard time getting the legnth of the notes correct unless I have heard the tune before.
I never practice those skills, I´m more into learning music by ear, tabs or even let someone teach me.
I belevie this is a limitation for me, But I heard that even Yngwie J Malmsteen never read/write sheets.
/Johan Lindgren
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/21/2000 6:41 pm
Hey, once again you're not talkin' to me, but I think Johan's right, it is a limitation but some of the biggest names in the music business don't read/write standard notation (I don't think The Beatles did when they first started) If you want to become a session artist, it'll be a HUGE help, but still isn't nessercaryly required...How many other people here don't read standard notation just out of interest....
# 4
josh_underwood
josh_underwood
08/21/2000 9:53 pm
I Dont Bu Everyone Says I Should Learn.
He's totaly Mad,Crazy,Loony Toony And Even Offty Mc.Goofty!!.... I LIKE HIM!!!!!

Have You Been Drinking??
Yes I Have, Ive Been Drinking From the Well Of Eternal Sadness.
ART THOU BETRAYING THE????!!! THY WILL PAYUS THY ULTIMATE PRICEUS!!! FOR THOU ARE THE GUITARUS WIZARDUS!!!!!
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/22/2000 9:20 am
Ahhh, but do YOU think you should learn, do you really feel the need to understand it...If yes, then go for it, there's plenty of sites online which can help, you could go ask your music teacher in school, try and teach yourself, whatever...
If it's no, then don't worry about, if you can still play the things yuo want, THAT'S what's really important...Think about what you want to get out of music...
# 6
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Johan
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/22/2000 10:11 am
I´m totaly with Willdridge.
If you don´t feel any urge to learn it...don´t learn it. You don´t have to know it to be a great guitar player. But if you have a song only in standard notation that you feel that you must learn, it might be handy to know alittle about reading sheets.
/Johan Lindgren
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.