I changed strings for the first time. Muddy sound

David_T
Full Access
David_T
Full Access
06/15/2022 4:19 pm

EDIT: SOLVED: Noob mistake, the string was an octave down. Thank you.

Hi, whos it going? I hope everythings fine...; Im having a bit of a problem and im hoping you guys can help.

So im a total guitar noob. I changed guitar strings for the first time today (yay) and now some strings sound muddy. I mean they all sound very powerful now, but the A string now sounds quite muddy and bassy. Lower E string to a lesser extent too.

Upon close inspection, all seems fine in the tuning pegs(not perfect, but i think its ok) and the nut, as far as my knowledge goes. The strings are tuned to EADGBE. I did not touch the pickups. I tried lowering the gain in the amp (blackstar fly 3) but the A string still seems to pack more oomph! than the lower E string and all the other strings. The strings are the D´Addario EXL110 10-46, same as i had before on the guitar (Ibanez RG 421AHM). So same strings, i did not touch intonation(i dont know how to do it anyways). I also played with tone on the guitar and the 5 way selector.

I read somewhere that maybe i need to play a little and hopefully they will be better soon?

The A string sounds almost like a bass sometimes, if i give it enough gain. I dont remember it being like this before; i used the old strings for 2 years though. And my guitar has humbuckers, i heard that has some influence.

So i was hoping, maybe, if i did something wrong i can learn from the mistake and begin to change strings by my own at a more sensible frequency. Maybe im missing something i dunno.

Any feedback would be positive feedback.

Alright thanks in advance guys. cheers

Ceiling Cat

EDIT: oh, i remember one thing. when i took out the old A string, its tuning peg was just a little bit slightly loose(the only one loose). the other pegs were fine, rock solid. i checked it now and with the new string in place its not loose though. i dunno if this has something to do with the sound problem

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/15/2022 6:34 pm

It's easy to make a mistake first time changing strings so dont feel bad but just want to eliminate the obvious here. From the description it sounds like you may have reversed your low "E and A" strings. An easy way to check since you bought D'Addarios is check the color code at the bridge end of the string. The E should have a brass Barrell (.046) and the A should be red. (.034) diameters respectively. I have the same strings. [br][br]

If all is good and your sure your tuned properly then it's probably intonation. Our resident GuitarTricks tech Stephen White could help you out further. Good luck. [br][br]

moe

# 2
David_T
Full Access
David_T
Full Access
06/15/2022 7:34 pm
Originally Posted by: mjgodin

It's easy to make a mistake first time changing strings so dont feel bad but just want to eliminate the obvious here. From the description it sounds like you may have reversed your low "E and A" strings. An easy way to check since you bought D'Addarios is check the color code at the bridge end of the string. The E should have a brass Barrell (.046) and the A should be red. (.034) diameters respectively. I have the same strings. [br][br]

If all is good and your sure your tuned properly then it's probably intonation. Our resident GuitarTricks tech Stephen White could help you out further. Good luck. [br][br]

moe

Thanks for the feedback mjgodin.

I checked the colours, all fine. Intonation fine also.

Turns out it was something very noob of me. The string was an octave down. :P Im just beggining...

I tuned it and its fine now.

# 3
mjgodin
mjgodin
06/15/2022 7:38 pm

Good deal. That's how we learn. [br][br]Moe

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.