Noise from strat

The Stonetone
The Stonetone
11/02/2019 12:16 am

hello I wonder if anyone here can help with this noise issue I have let me explain

I confirmed it’s not 60hz cycle hum since I recently installed fender gen 4 noiseless so no hum but still have a lot of noise when I’m using moderate gain or distortion or compressor sustainer so I installed a separate outlet with a new 14.2wire it’s an isolated circuit only guitar amp and my computer in which I need when I play or practice , now I troubleshot cables not the cables, tried another guitar with humbuckers. Noise is still present so I had my guitar shielded faraday cage style, although the tech used aluminum foil as opposed to copper but he assured me there was complete continuity and was properly grounded, yet noise is still there I was really frustrated to say the least, next step I shielded my whole computer including vga card no difference noise is still present i do use the boss ns but noise is still present when playing, it’s only quiet if I stop playing so this is not a solution, neither is ebtech hum x there are no dimmers on or present when I play practice and my monitor is lcd not crt, now the only time it gets quiet is if I move the guitar and myself in another position now I know know that would be the answer but it’s not really feasible so I’m at my wits and knowledge end and I cant figure out where this noise be it RF or EM is coming from and why the noise goes away when I position myself in what I calll the noiseless position this I can’t figure out and was wondering if someone may have some insight

thanks all for listening

Stone

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2019 1:33 am

That all sounds very frustrating, so I'm sorry for your troubles.

Originally Posted by: mike.catalano776now the only time it gets quiet is if I move the guitar and myself in another position

This happens to me when I'm near my studio desktop computer & using a fair amount of gain & volume. Usually I can get rid of the noise by either moving away from the computer (6 feet), or turning at a 90 degree angle from the monitor & tower.

What happens when you play with a very clean tone?

Also, what amp or modeler are you using? Have you tried another amp?

It sounds like RF interference from your entire system. But it would be important to know what kind of amp you are using, if you've tried another amp & if you've tried playing with a clean tone.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
The Stonetone
The Stonetone
11/02/2019 2:02 am

Hello Chris, I use a katana 50 with tone studio when channel 1 clean it’s all fine only when using gain like OD distortion comp sustain and it’s only when I’m facing a certain direction ie in front of my computer in which I just completely shielded it now I did turn off the pc and noise is still present

thanks for the response

Stone

# 3
The Stonetone
The Stonetone
11/02/2019 8:37 am

Hello Chris,

Yes i did try another amp Vox amp, same thing More or less, also same thing more or less when i use my Jackson Humbucker Guitar On My Clean Channel its No Issues Only when Using an Form Of OD or Distortion and or Comp/Sus. But what is Odd is that the farday cage made No differnce at all ??? it is supposed to shield your Guitar yet it made No differnce whatsoever?? the Only thing left to try is to install ferrite beads on my Wires, but although at this Point i dont think it will make any difference as Nothing Ive tried so far has made any difference whatsoever

Thanks

Stone

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2019 12:09 pm
Originally Posted by: mike.catalano776

I use a katana 50 with tone studio when channel 1 clean it’s all fine only when using gain like OD distortion comp sustain and it’s only when I’m facing a certain direction ie in front of my computer in which I just completely shielded it now I did turn off the pc and noise is still present[/quote][p]Got it! Let's consider other sources of RFI.

I took my Katana to a gig & set my cell phone down on top of it near the controls. When I turned on the gain I got some weird RF interference!

I've also read about some people experiencing RFI when their computer cable modem and/or internet router was placed close to their computer or on the same electrical circuit.

[quote=mike.catalano776]

But what is Odd is that the farday cage made No differnce at all ??? it is supposed to shield your Guitar yet it made No differnce whatsoever??

[p]I think that is just supposed to solve problems originating in the guitar cavity. That still leaves your guitar pickups & strings & even yourself as potential RF antennas connected to amps in the vacinity of external RF sources. Like your computer, monitor, router, etc.

Does the amp do this in another room? Another house or location? Just trying to rule out the amp itself!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
The Stonetone
The Stonetone
11/02/2019 3:10 pm

Well the amp is On an Isolated Circuit, Wifi Modem is Another room about 20 Feet away and On a seperate Circuit, No cell phones anywhere Near, No Lights On, My Keyboard and Mouse are wired , And I turn Off the LED for My Corsair Keyboard, The Problem Does Go away in another room IE the bedroom but there is No tone studio just the Katana Panel So as I mentioned Im stummped ATM and well really the only Option now is to Play and practice in the sweetspot where there is No Noise, because well theres nothing to kill tone Quite Like Interfernece Noise :)

thank you Chris for Your Insight and Input Much appreciated

Stone

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.