Acoustic Amps verses Electric Guitar Amps

Ed
Ed
02/26/2002 5:57 pm
Ok, I very new to this (already been to the beginner forum a couple of times already, geat help) and have purchased an Ovation acoustic/electric. In the next couple of months I'll probably be getting an amp for it (at least I'd like to have something in mind when my wife ask what I'd like for my birthday).

Anyway, I after looking up prices of Acoustic amps verses those for electric guitars and noticed a sizeable difference (at least for my pocket book)for the same power output. Can I purchase an amplifer for an electric guitar and just turn down the effects or even to my untrained ear will there be a noticable difference in sound. I am just looking at getting a 10 or 15 watt practice amp so I would like to keep the price around $150 the lower the better. I will buy seperate amps if you can really hear a difference.

I have read different forums, plus I have been told different stories from salesmen about what I should purchase. First off I'll never be playing anywhere except at house (no coffee shops or stadiums in my future). Any way, in a year or so I will probably purchase a pure electric guitar.

Thanks for advice in spending my wifes money wisely (At least I hope she sees it that a way).

Ed
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/26/2002 7:00 pm
The big difference between "electric" and "acoustic" amps is how they go about reproducing sound. Acoustic amplifiers are just more finely tuned to reproducing the tones an acoustic will generally make.

I think your best option (since you're playing an acoustic anyway) would be to save a little bit and get a 30-60 watt tube amp. If you shop around you can find a nice used one that will fit your needs. $150 practice amps sound like crap (I don't care who makes it) and you're going to want to enjoy the way that electric sounds when you get it right? Also, if you ever decide that you do want to jam with some other people or play out, you'll have enough power to get by.

At any rate, until you buy your electic you shouldn't need an amplifier so you might as well save your money now.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/26/2002 10:45 pm
I agree with rask here, your guitar is ok with out an amp at the mo... Save up yer money, so in a year's time your have enough to be a decent amp and an electric... You also might just get bored of playing guitar, and i can tell you from expreince, Playing with crap equipment can be very off putting...
however, if your gonna get an amp regeradless... I tried an "orange" amp, 10watt, and i was quite impressed.. I admit, it was still crappy, but it didn't have that "bee in jar" sound that alot of little amps have... it was £50 (which i thought wasn't bad at all), so that's around $70...
but since you have an acoustic, you should be ok without an amp...
have fun...
# 3
Ed
Ed
02/27/2002 1:11 pm
OK, I understand about maybe wating a little while longer to purchase a higher quailty amplifer, but what about having to purchase a pure acoustical amp?

I was looking at some of the models for electric guitars that have a second channel labeled as "clean". Can you play with acoustic with models like that? It would be nice to only have to purchase one amplifer.

Thanks
Ed
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/27/2002 3:17 pm
Well, you'd only need an acoustic amp if you plan on playing out. You'll need an amplifier no matter what if you get an electric. You can indeed plug your acoustic into an 'electric' amplifier; it's just going to add more of it's own flavor to the sound. The "Clean" channel would be better too as your acoustic is going to want to feed back if you leave it unattended.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.