What to Do When You Hit a Plateau: Tips for Getting Unstuck

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
04/09/2013 10:02 pm

When you first pick up the guitar, you spend considerable time learning the basics. Once you get those down and feel comfortable with your instrument, you move on to songs and various techniques and styles of playing. Your abilities seem to grow in leaps and bounds for a good long while as you cruise along on your journey to becoming a guitarist of some merit. And then, out of nowhere, BAM! You run smack into a brick wall. Suddenly, no matter how much you practice, it ceases to yield the desired results, or any results at all. Progress comes to a grinding halt.

The dreaded plateau, that state where you feel like you're spinning your wheels, is actually a normal occurrence. Most musicians, at some point or another, are forced to face it. And more than once. If you were to graph the learning curve for the average guitarist, instead of a smooth straight upward line, it would instead resemble a set of stairs—risers interspersed with long flat spots. The danger in these stagnant periods is that they can lead to a loss of interest in playing. Plateaus are when many students give up because they’re convinced they are unable to learn any more. That they've reached the limits of their abilities. That where they are is all there is. What a plateau is actually telling you though is that for the time being, you've gotten all you can out of the approach you are currently using. You need to switch things up.

In his book Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment, best-selling author George Leonard, a pioneer in the field of human potential, describes the stages of learning and what exactly sets the masters apart from the dabblers. Leonard claims that learning and accomplishment are based on hitting and overcoming a series of plateaus, each of which may have the occasional setback. With dedicated practice and a lot of hard work, you can break through to a new level, which is yet another plateau. Mastery, he says, is based on loving the practice of what you're doing and accepting that there will be long plateaus, occasional setbacks, and if you're lucky, rare breakthroughs.

So what is the secret to pushing through a plateau to get to the next level of playing? Well, first, you need to commit to your music for the long haul. If playing guitar was easy, everyone would do it. And don't fool yourself by believing that the majority of virtuosos are born with an innate talent. Good guitarists work hard, every day, to achieve greatness. Now let's take a look at some other ways to work through these blocks.

Keep going. The single most important thing is for you to keep practicing and keep learning. Don't give up in frustration or out of boredom. Just keep going, even though you may feel like you are fighting the same battles over and over again. Much of the process and activity of learning lies unseen in the brain.

Be patient. Breakthroughs almost always come to those who persevere. Just because a concept takes a while to learn doesn’t mean that something is wrong or that progress isn’t being made. Certain things just take time.

Oil the engine. Take in some live music. Buy that new CD you’ve been wanting. Get a songbook of your favorite band and start working through it. Read a music biography or check out a documentary of your favorite artist. Grab a guitar magazine or two. You'll find some new songs to learn in them as well as great articles and tips. You might even pick up a guitar magazine that focuses on another style of music entirely, one you've never played before. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself interested and motivated while you push for a breakthrough in some area of your development.

Approach from a different angle. Let’s say you are working on barre chords and you’ve done the exercises day after day, week after week, with little improvement. Put the exercises away for a week or two and work instead on songs that don't include barre chords. Take a break from whatever it is that has you stumped and then come back to it fresh.

Make progress in other areas. Don’t let one single area of your development slow and eventually stop your overall progress. Just because you haven’t mastered one concept doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t move on to other things in other areas of your playing. When a stream of water hits a rock, it gets diverted. You need to do likewise and change course when you hit a wall.

Abstinence. Put the guitar away for a day, a week, or even a month. You might take it a step further and also avoid listening to music as well. When you take a break from playing guitar and music in general, you will usually start jonesing to play again. Deprivation has a funny way of making us want something all the more. Then, when you resume playing, you will come to your practice with renewed energy.

Try a different style of music. Let's say your favorite style of guitar playing is rock. Learn to play a jazz song, a blues song, a country number, a reggae song, or a classical piece. Step out of your comfort zone and try something new.

Learn some guitar theory. Sometimes some of the biggest breakthroughs and rut busters come from learning some guitar theory. Your playing can only go so far if you don't have a clue as to what you're doing and why. You don't have to go hardcore here, just learn some of the basics of guitar theory. They will have a huge impact on your playing. Knowing no theory at all is like wandering around a maze on a moonless night. A little knowledge can shed a lot of light and completely reinvigorate your playing.

Focus on technique. Another great thing to do to catapult your guitar playing to the next level is to focus exclusively on your technique. Take a week of practice sessions and devote them entirely to doing nothing but working on technique. For instance, you might work on alternate picking one day, then hammer-ons and pull offs, tapping, sweep picking, fingerpicking and string skipping. Don't work on any songs or anything else for that week. Just practice technique.

Learn some new scales. If the only scale you know is the minor pentatonic, it's time to broaden your horizons. There's a whole big world of guitar scales out there to challenge your fingers and give you some new tools for creating killer solos. When you think about it, a guitar solo is just a melody that uses one or more guitar scales that work well over the chord progressions. So if you want more variety in your guitar solos, learn some new scales. Also be sure to learn multiple fingerings for these scales. Different scale fingerings will give you different melodic ideas. The other cool thing is once you know multiple ways to play the same scale on the guitar, you can link them together and cover the entire fretboard in the key. This is one way to create those long fretboard-burning licks. And don't limit yourself to practicing scales forwards and backwards. Practice scales in thirds, fourths, fifths, etc. Keep things interesting.

Learn some new chords. Challenge yourself to learn 3 new chords every week. In a month's time, you will have 12 new chords under your belt. In a year you will have added 144 new chords to your music vocabulary. The key to learning these chords is that you must find a way to incorporate them into your playing. If you learn a new chord and have absolutely no way of using it, it's like learning a new word and never speaking it in conversation. It won't take long before you forget the word and the chord. Learn it. Use it. Retain it.

Work on rhythm and time signatures. Even if you aspire to be the next Jimi Hendrix, you still need to know how to play rhythm guitar. That's because in order to be an effective lead guitarist, you must know how to follow a rhythm. Don't limit yourself to sticking to common time or to using only eighth and sixteenth notes. A wider rhythmic pallet will enable you to create more interesting rhythm and lead guitar parts. Learn the basics of rhythm and time signatures. Listen to a wide variety of musical styles and expose yourself to music from different cultures, which often has more complex and elaborate rhythms. Once you have started to experiment with different time signatures, try composing pieces in these meters.

Use a metronome. If you don’t routinely practice with a metronome, it’s time to dig it out from the back of your closet and practice everything with it. If you already use a metronome, then turn it off for a week and practice everything without it. Another option is to use your metronome as a measuring stick. Let's say you're working on a new scale. Set up your metronome and practice the guitar scale with it. Note the tempo that you are able to accurately play the scale. Make it your goal to increase this speed by one, two, or three beats per minute. Do this every practice session. Just make sure it's a realistic goal and remember that speed is a by-product of accuracy. Don't get speedy before your time or you'll just be practicing your mistakes.

Dissect your phrases. Spend some time working in more detail. Take apart each phrase of a song and discover what you need to do in order to make it fit better into the whole. Once you’ve finished working on one phrase to your satisfaction, go on to the next one.

Mix things up. If you play mostly with a pick, focus on fingerpicking. If you play mostly fingerstyle, spend some time flatpicking. If you mainly play rhythm, switch it up and play lead. If you mainly play from sheet music, try using your ear. Revisit old pieces instead of forging ahead with something brand new. Change gears.

When you hit a plateau in your playing, it helps to remember that musicians of all levels can and do experience stagnation. Press on and don't lose heart. Progress lies within the things you don't yet know. Feeling stymied is a result of the things you do.

Have you reached a plateau in your own playing? How did you keep your motivation up? What did it take for you to get unstuck?

Image Credit: Palmyra Delran. Original uploader was RyanFreisling at en.wikipedia
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/10/2013 6:54 am
I was at a plateau just after Christmas, and all honestly didn't feel any progress at all. Then someone here suggested that I tried changing my practice routines from practicing while watching tutorials here, to practicing for half an hour or an hour, then watching tutorials for the same amount of time, and since then, I've gotten past my first plateau quite quickly. Now I'm just concerned about the next one...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 2
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
04/10/2013 9:27 pm
Glad to hear you managed to push through your first plateau, Kasperow. Now that you know they are part of the process and have some tools at your disposal to help you overcome them, you needn't fear the plateaus that lie ahead. Look on them instead as challenges that, once conquered, lead to further growth as a guitarist. Thanks for your comment and for inspiring this piece. ;)
# 3
maggior
maggior
04/10/2013 9:58 pm
Wow, these are some great suggestions. You can generalize a lot of this and apply it to learning any skill.

I had been on a plateau for 10 years. I love music and the guitar too much to have completely given up though. Coming here was what I chose to do differently and it has allowed me forward progress again. I'll definitely be back referring to this when I hit my next plateau. Some things here I've thought of and tried on my own - but others I had never thought of.
# 4
maggior
maggior
04/11/2013 12:22 am
So thinking about this some more, I realized there are some other things that I have done that have helped me keep motivated and helped me over a plateau. Keeping moving sometimes is about maintaining some motivation, and some of this can help keep you motivated.

- Get a book on guitar repair and learn about maintaining your guitar itself. Learn about what a setup is and how to do one. Experiment with setup options on your own guitar (though maybe not truss rod adjustments to start with). It's a truely liberating feeling to be self sufficient with maintaining your setup.
- Experiment with your tone and focus on it. Play with your pickup selector switch, your tone control knobs on your guitar and amp.
- Try different string guages and see what impact it has on your playing and tone.
- Read up on your favorite guitarists' setups and gear.
- Buy a variety pack of picks and try different ones out. This sounds silly, but it helped me.
- Buy a slide and try out some slide techniques. This is currently in my plan.
- New gear!! A new axe can inspire you to play more and help carry you over a plateau. Disclaimer - use in small doses and don't fall under the spell of GAS, aka guitar acquisition syndrome, or gear acquisition syndrome. If you've been playing for a while and have a hankering for a new type of guitar, go to your local guitar shop and try some out. Perhaps you want one with with humbuckers rather than single coil, or vice versa; an acoustic to complement your electric, or vice versa. Maybe you bought a pracitce amp to start out and you are ready to move up to a "real amp". Try out tube amps.
- Try out and perhaps buy some effects pedals. Don't go nuts though since you don't want pedals to become a crutch.
- Learn about recording techniques, specifically related to recording the guitar. Should you use a DI (direct in) device or use a microphone? I have no idea...try both out! :-).
- Experiment with some recording, even some multitrack with free software like Audacity.
- Try out a different instrument. Maybe something as radical as piano or drums...or less radical like bass or ukelele.
- Try singing while you play.
# 5
haghj500
haghj500
04/11/2013 2:04 am
Plateau,
I have found them to be friends over the years, kind of like coming home from a long vacation. It gives you a chance or forces you to stop and really think about your playing. They typically end with a break through like a new technic, that after time, you lose your ability to be impressed with.
New plateau hit.

Guitartricks has so much to offer here to bust plateau’s, just watch a new instructor teaching another style. A new technic can’t be far away.
# 6
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/11/2013 11:55 am
Originally Posted by: maggior
- New gear!! A new axe can inspire you to play more and help carry you over a plateau. Disclaimer - use in small doses and don't fall under the spell of GAS, aka guitar acquisition syndrome, or gear acquisition syndrome. If you've been playing for a while and have a hankering for a new type of guitar, go to your local guitar shop and try some out. Perhaps you want one with with humbuckers rather than single coil, or vice versa; an acoustic to complement your electric, or vice versa. Maybe you bought a pracitce amp to start out and you are ready to move up to a "real amp". Try out tube amps.
- Try singing while you play.

I can definitely vouch for those two points. This winter, I had landed on one of those infamous plateaus, and lately my amp began to seem inadequate (it was only a beginner amp, mind you), so I went out and bought a new amp, and my motivation sky-rocketed immediately afterwards. Then, at the end of last month, I got some tax-money back and immediately spent a good share of it on a new guitar, since my beginner-strat had lots of problems it wouldn't be worth paying for getting fixed (100$ for even getting a technician to look at a 50$ strat isn't worth it in my opinion). So I bought a new guitar with my tax-money and I really have trouble putting it down now. Simply buying new gear, although not cheap, elevated my motivation to new levels.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 7
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
04/11/2013 3:45 pm
Thanks guys for chiming in and sharing your plateau stories and suggestions for working through them. Lots of good ideas here. I've been itching for a new guitar for some time now. I may have to try that tip the next time I hit a plateau. Or maybe take up the drums or harpsichord.
# 8
Terry Dillon
Terry Dillon
04/12/2013 1:29 pm
There's a great book out there called "Guitar Zero" by Gary Marcus. He was a thirty something psychologist who was a frustrated poor guitar player. His analyzation of how the brain works, and how music is interpreted by the brain is pretty amazing. Its a pretty funny story as well since he tells his journey of frustration to becoming at long last a decent guitar player. Its my bible.
# 9
haghj500
haghj500
04/16/2013 5:08 am
I join the site because of a long plateau. Be it a new song or style or part of a lick. I have no trouble finding something I enjoy working on and have a long list of that.
# 10
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
04/20/2013 3:39 am
I found myself in a guitar rut, wondering what do I do, what do I want? I realized I wanted to play better and do something with my songs. I started taking lessons and focusing on my music career. I'm finding out it's quite a bit of work and it is necessary to have some direction.
# 11
linda p
linda p
04/21/2013 5:22 pm
Enjoyed your message about THAT POINT where you don't even want to look at the guitar.Alot of good advice WILDWOMAN are you on the GT team or just a fellow guitarist? I have reached that point several times here recently an hate it. I'm new at this so for me I almost have to start over ,altho it does come back quicker. I had front row seat to see Clapton recently when he came to NC......I watched his fingers as they caressed the strings an I think I came back home an played for 2 days straight,he was amazing. Sadly I can't do that everytime I'm in a rut but I'll draw on that an some of your advice. Here's hoping to shake this rut an get to it again.
# 12
compart1
compart1
04/21/2013 11:47 pm
Hey Linda..
Cool on the Clapton show.. Where did you catch the show..Raliegh or Charlotte..
Hope the experience keeps you inspired. I wouldn't frett the fall backs as life is always about cycles.
good luck
# 13
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
04/26/2013 4:23 pm
Hello, Linda! Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am a fellow guitarist and part of the GT team as a contributor to the Newsletter. I caught Clapton here in Pittsburgh a few weeks back. Awesome show! I get how you would be inspired to play again from being around him. Ruts come and go. We all hit them. Know that you are in good company, do what you can to keep yourself inspired when you're in the thick of it, and keep pressing forward. Best of luck to you. ;)

I'm fascinated by how the brain interprets music, Terry. May have to check that book out.
# 14
PeterNY
Full Access
PeterNY
Full Access
09/21/2013 4:30 pm
When boredom and tedium set in, you can always:

Check out a page on Guitar Tricks.

Make a list of three songs you'd like to learn, and if they're not on GT, then just google the song with the word "chords" after the name. After you've found your songs, just doodle the melody off the chords. It's great ear training.

Take a song that you already know cold and invent different fills and variations for another eight bars.

Play blindfolded. It isn't easy at first, but after all the clams, your fingers will go to some interesting places.
# 15
Nomad2
Nomad2
01/05/2014 1:26 am
Many thanks WildWoman for another great piece.
I seem to have hit that plateau. Bounce around all over the place trying to
find some direction.
I Look at some of the other instructors to try and find that open door, sometimes going back to what has been already covered, like Lisa Macs
finger picking, thinking 'have I missed something'.
Really need that little bit of motivation, and your article helps, nice one.
# 16
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
01/06/2014 7:54 pm
Hitting a plateau in your playing can be plenty frustrating, Nomad2. I say this from experience. But I'm glad to hear that you are pursuing ways to overcome this. Keep pressing forward till you break through. Know that you will. Thank you for the kind words. ;)
# 17
Midiman1
Midiman1
04/08/2014 5:34 pm
This is just what the doctor ordered! Thanks a million for this post Wildwoman1313!
The Midiman
# 18
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
04/14/2014 9:32 pm
Happy to hear you got something of value from the article, Midiman1. Thanks for your comment.
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.