Three Songs That Changed My Life

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
05/24/2012 9:50 pm
Three Songs That Changed My Life

When my daughter was declared breech just days before her birth, a friend advised me to lie in an inverted position with headphones low on my bulging belly and use music to try and coax her to flip. Facing a possible C-section, I was game. So I did my damnedest to prop myself up into a quasi-shoulder stand and fed my incubating dumpling a continuous loop of Pink Floyd's Dark Side and Pearl Jam's Ten. Theory was she would gravitate to the music and right herself. Old wives' tale? Perhaps. But when my daughter was born a couple days later, she came out screaming, all pink and squishy—and headfirst.

Music is a great motivator. The right song can help push us through fatigue and get us to run that extra mile. It can alter brainwave patterns much the same as yoga and meditation do, and induce a state of deep relaxation where the mind is more open to problem solving. Music offers comfort and helps us heal. It has the power to manipulate moods. It both soothes and incites. When we listen to a piece of music, we share the artist’s feelings on a visceral level. At its essence, music is recorded emotion that can create profound emotional experiences.

Around about the same time that Deep Purple seduced me and turned me from a budding folkie into a pit-loving animal, Led Zeppelin released their masterpiece, "Stairway to Heaven." Say what you will about "Stairway" being overplayed, overblown, whatever, I was completely and utterly bewitched by the song at first listen and remain so some four decades on. The song stops me in my tracks without fail. No matter the thousands of times I've listened to it, "Stairway" is always fresh to my ears. It funnels in and clutches my heart, squeezing mercilessly.

When I married ages ago, I didn't dare ask the priest that "Stairway" be played as my wedding march, so I asked the DJ that I'd hired to play it at our reception instead. Because it wasn't exactly danceable, my request was unceremoniously denied. "Stairway" will, however, be played at my wake, if I have to come back from the grave and play it myself.

Running at a little over 8 minutes, and composed in several distinct sections—beginning as a slow acoustic-based folk song with recorders in a Renaissance music style and moving gradually into a slow electric mid-section, then an intricate guitar solo by Jimmy Page before the faster hard rock final section, and ending with a short epilogue that echoes the introduction—"Stairway" was unlike any piece of music on the airwaves at the time. It is irrevocably interwoven with memories of black light and first love in my memory.

These are just three of a multitude of songs that have impacted my life and left indelible memories. Your turn. What are some of the songs that make up the soundtrack of your life?
# 1
LIMEY1
LIMEY1
05/26/2012 1:59 am
This is a brilliantly written and very revealing article...i was at an age when the Beatles were a few years into their success and used to watch them arrive at Apple Corps...this is one of my favourite songs...Machine Head was the first long playing LP i bought and Smoke on the Water was a life changer for me...I had the Priveledge of seeing Led Zep perform live in Bishops Stortford and it was the first time i heard Stairway to Heaven...unless you were there one cannot understand...but i have many more songs that could be included all of which hold special memories in my life...everybody will have their own list of songs that changed or made their lives better...but these are three brilliant songs that made you sit up and take note...well done .
# 2
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
05/31/2012 10:43 pm
Glad you liked the article, Limey1! I've also had the privilege of seeing Zeppelin live. An unforgettable performance.
# 3
Nomad2
Nomad2
12/09/2012 1:29 am
Hi Wildwoman. Another great piece. You have a fan for life here.
Iconic piece's? Has to be Hendrix's Purple haze, Hey Joe, All along the watch tower.(Am I showing my age here?) However I do agree with 'Smoke on the water' & 'Stairway', no matter how many times I hear them, I have to turn up the volume, they blow me away even today. Something else that gets me is 'Sweet home Alabama' & 'Freebird' , watched this on 'You tube'(with the late Ronnie van Zant), many times, & never get bored with it. Have already started to learn S H A, not as quick as I'd like but hey, we all need
to start somewhere, the digits aren't as flexable as they once were.
Many thnx for another great posting.
# 4
wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
12/09/2012 3:11 am
Hey, Nomad 2! Thanks for your comments. Great choices. All the songs you mention have incredible staying power. Like you, they still get me right in the gut every time I hear them. And yes, we all have to start somewhere. Keep plugging away. You'll get there. ;)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.