Alvin Lee and Ten Years After

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/13/2009 10:14 pm
Alvin Lee and Ten Years After
By Hunter60

The 80's were a time of continued solo work and contributions for fellow musicians including collaborations with Rare Birds Steve Gould and a lengthy tour with John Mayall and Stones guitarist Mick Taylor filling out his band.

The band did reunite in 1988 for a European tour and to cut the album 'It's About Time' in 1989. But they split again for good following that album. In 2001, Ric Lee was preparing the back catalogue for release when he came across the 'Live At The Filmore East 1970' tapes. He approached Lee about reuniting to support the disc, Lee declined. The rest of the band thought otherwise and together with guitarist Joe Gooch, hit the road as 'Ten Years After'. They have been touring since and released a new disc called 'Now' in 2004 and a new live disc, 'Roadworks' in 2005.

Lee himself is not thrilled with this arrangement and quotes like "They have decided to tour under the name of Ten Years After which I don't think is very cool. To be honest, they have had to do that as it's the only way they can get any work," show that there is still a certain amount of resentment with his former band mates. But Lee, still considered a formidable guitar player keeps himself busy recording and touring as a solo act.

So from a young idealistic band that truly believed that they could change the world to superstars in rock and roll and back, Ten Years After survives, albeit in somewhat different forms. If you spend some time reading the back pages of the music history books and sniffing around the dusty discount bins at your local CD shop, you might be amazed at what you can find.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
ChicagoGozer
ChicagoGozer
04/17/2009 1:26 pm
Ten Years After was a band I stumbled on to rather accidentally. When I was a teenager I had rented a copy of Woodstock (a Betamax copy which rather dates me...doesn't it). I was interested in seeing the performances of Jimi, The Who, Joe Cocker, the typical stuff I knew of about Woodstock...but then, while watching the tape, this band came on and played "I'm Going Home". I was blown away. When the stage announcer said at the end of their performance "Ten Years After" I knew I had to find out who these guys were. I became an instant fan and have followed Alvin Lee to this day.

If you want to know the essential TYA pick up Cricketwood Green and A Space in Time. Both outstanding rock albums, even today.

He is one of the best guitarists I've heard and really has not received the recognition he deserves.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/17/2009 1:37 pm
Originally Posted by: ChicagoGozerTen Years After was a band I stumbled on to rather accidentally. When I was a teenager I had rented a copy of Woodstock (a Betamax copy which rather dates me...doesn't it). I was interested in seeing the performances of Jimi, The Who, Joe Cocker, the typical stuff I knew of about Woodstock...but then, while watching the tape, this band came on and played "I'm Going Home". I was blown away. When the stage announcer said at the end of their performance "Ten Years After" I knew I had to find out who these guys were. I became an instant fan and have followed Alvin Lee to this day.

If you want to know the essential TYA pick up Cricketwood Green and A Space in Time. Both outstanding rock albums, even today.

He is one of the best guitarists I've heard and really has not received the recognition he deserves.

I agree - Cricketwood Green and A Space in Time are amazing records and the band really did not have the career they should have had. I can still sit and listen to 'I'm Coming Home' from the Woodstock disc and be blown away. Amazing guitarist.
# 3
dsmyers
dsmyers
04/17/2009 7:38 pm
The correct name of the album is "Cricklewood Green." Who could forget the beautiful breasts on that gilt Coke bottle on the album art?
d
# 4
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/17/2009 8:19 pm
Nice job on 10 Years After Hunter.....Alvin Lee was (and still is) one of my favorite players. Keep up the great work.
Doug
# 5
JLBynum
JLBynum
04/17/2009 9:01 pm
I was one of the early USA followers of the band after woodstock - our band learned IGH pretty much note for note and it was not an easy task. The bridge pickup on a 335 never sounded so firey

I enjoyed it because i had this red 335 copy and I could throw it round my neck (until it flew off one day and broke its neck, boo hoo) ... anyway we would play the song 100 miles an hour and watch the teens try to dance to it which was pretty comical
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/17/2009 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: dsmyersThe correct name of the album is "Cricklewood Green." Who could forget the beautiful breasts on that gilt Coke bottle on the album art?
d

You are correct sir! I am not sure where my head was at today. :D Thanks for making the correction.
# 7
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/17/2009 9:15 pm
Originally Posted by: drf46Nice job on 10 Years After Hunter.....Alvin Lee was (and still is) one of my favorite players. Keep up the great work.
Doug

Thanks Doug. I can still remember the very first time I heard Alvin Lee play and believe it or not, it was not the Woodstock disc. An old friend had Cricklewood Green on 8-track and we were listening to it in his Dodge Dart of all things. :) I was blown away and immediately became a fan.
# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/17/2009 9:17 pm
Originally Posted by: JLBynumI was one of the early USA followers of the band after woodstock - our band learned IGH pretty much note for note and it was not an easy task. The bridge pickup on a 335 never sounded so firey

I enjoyed it because i had this red 335 copy and I could throw it round my neck (until it flew off one day and broke its neck, boo hoo) ... anyway we would play the song 100 miles an hour and watch the teens try to dance to it which was pretty comical

Great story! Pretty impressive task playing IGH note for note.
# 9
ChicagoGozer
ChicagoGozer
04/18/2009 2:20 am
Originally Posted by: dsmyersThe correct name of the album is "Cricklewood Green." Who could forget the beautiful breasts on that gilt Coke bottle on the album art?
d

Thanks...my bad typing. Cricklewood Green...not Cricket
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.