Apr '07 GT interview -- jiujitsu_jesus

earthman buck
earthman buck
03/24/2007 4:45 am
Here's the man who broke my heart. (April Fool's :))

You started out playing bass, did you not? Why did you make the switch?

I actually started out playing classical piano when I was five, and not of my own volition - my parents basically dragged a piano through the door, threw it down in front of me, and said, "Play this for the next eleven years!" Slight exaggeration, but feel free to pity me nonetheless :p . I sucked at it and didn't like it at all, so I picked up the bass on the side when I was thirteen. It was MUCH more fun, and I learned loads more about music than I did with the piano - the bass actually got me listening to and appreciating music, which was something I'd hardly done up to that point. About two years ago, I dropped the piano altogether, and six months later I picked up the guitar as another instrument in addition to the bass. That turned out to give me the most fun and education I've ever had with music, so I began focusing on it as my main instrument.

Do you still play any bass?

Since I've been working on my rhythm guitar skills, I've definitely been playing a bit more bass than usual. The thread on the forum about bass players inspired me to have a go at some funky riffs again! But I can't play it well enough to be a bassist in a band or anything, although I think that would be pretty cool.

You have a gig coming up sometime soon. Tell us about that.

It's just going to be me and my guitar teacher, each with a classical guitar, playing some minor-key European folk stuff, in a local pub. I'm really looking forward to it, having never played a gig as a guitarist before. A little nervous about playing the wrong chords, but still very excited.

I hear you joined a guitar ensemble at University as well. How’s that going?

We had the first practice yesterday, and it was fantastic. There's such a broad range of musical backgrounds, from bluesmen (and women) and pop players to classic rockers and metalheads. I've already learned a lot from just one two-hour session - ie. that no, not everybody knows your favourite songs, and yes, a tube amp does sound better than a solid-state! And I've got a gig with those guys as well, which is really cool.

What gets you most inspired to play these days?

Three things. Firstly, as always, listening to my favourite bands - Jethro Tull, Steely Dan, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Megadeth, and the almighty Floyd. Secondly, jamming with other players - like I said, there's always something to learn and incorporate into your own playing. And finally - cheese alert! - the forum here at GT, which has taught me more about music than slogging away on the piano ever did!

Now, now, Ben. Go easy on the piano.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.