CD Review Feb. '07 - Keb'Mo'

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/30/2007 11:06 pm
KEB'MO': SELF-TITLED
(OKeh/Epic, 1994)

Blues musicians over the years, from Charley Patton and Son House through to Jeff Healey and Robert Cray, have usually been firm adherents to the axiom, "less is more". And while Keb'Mo' (real name Kevin Moore) may make use of considerably less than many of his contemporaries in terms of instrumentation and structure, he is capable of creating much more in terms of sheer musical richness. On none of his albums does he accomplish this better than on his 1994 self-titled debut, an album of acoustic Delta blues that sounds and feels huge, in spite of the deceptive simplicity of the music.

With little more than his acoustic and resonator guitars and his textured, husky voice (and the occasional background accompaniment of a Hammond organist, bassist and drummer), Keb'Mo' creates a memorable signature sound, characterised by loose, infectious rhythms and major-blues multiline riffs. With a traditional yet imaginative acoustic blues style, he mixes up phrases and rhythm and lead structures in a way that recalls Elmore James and Robert Johnson (particularly on the two Johnson covers, "Come On In My Kitchen" and "Kind-Hearted Woman Blues"). Tracks such as "Every Morning" and "Love Blues" in particular are a real adventure to listen to, with fingerpicked chords, double-stops, bends, rhythmic lines and occasional bursts of slide - none of which are overdubbed! - flavouring the mix. All the songs are crafted in a straightforward Delta blues style (with the exception of the Huey Lewis-esque "Don't Try To Explain", which is redeemed by a soaring melody and a tasty guitar solo), making Keb'Mo's compositional and instrumental mastery stand out even more.

But it's when Mr. Moore opens his mouth that the real magic begins. The lyrics aren't poetic in the traditional sense, but they are very emotionally sincere without being overwrought or raw: just touchingly honest. Carried by his excellent voice, the themes of romantic harmony and heartbreak really hit home on tracks such as "Anybody Seen My Girl" and "Angelina". Perhaps the highlight of the album is the balladic "Victims of Comfort", where Moore's vocal and lyrical abilities shine.

The music on this album is just simple enough to be earthy and just nuanced enough to be interesting - a perfect balance. If you are a fan of the blues, you will love the way Keb'Mo' conjures the spirit of the greats through his fresh but faithful rendition of the style; if you are not, you probably will be after a couple of listens.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
halo71
halo71
01/31/2007 2:18 pm
I have all his stuff on CD. I think he is great. You may want to check out some of his DVD's, they are even better.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/03/2007 8:29 am
That's a great review! Thanks. I will be out looking for this CD in the coming weeks.

Some of those guys over at RS could learn a thing or two from reading how this was written! :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/10/2007 8:16 pm
Wow.... thanks mate!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.