Feb '07 - GAS Alert

ren
ren
01/24/2007 5:36 pm
PRS SE Singlecut
Reviewed by PRSPlaya

http://prsguitars.com/showcase/current/sesinglecut.html

As some of you may already know, I have recently moved to Nova Scotia, Canada. I wasn't able to bring a guitar or an amp with me, so I had to go gear shopping as soon as I got here. I already had a good idea of what I wanted, so finding the gear was the next task. The gear I was looking for was a PRS SE Singlecut guitar, and a Traynor YCV50 Blue amp (keep an eye out for a soon to come review). After going to a couple of music stores around Halifax, I finally found both pieces of gear. I'm a huge PRS fan, and my number one guitar is a '01 PRS Custom 22. So, I was looking for something that played similar to it, but without the high price tag. After sitting down with the SE Singlecut, I was quite impressed. The amp I played it through, was a Fender 1x12 DeVille tube amp. At first, I was a little leery about the “PRS Designed” pickups, but after playing the guitar for a while, I was quite pleased with them. The bridge pickup sounds similar to the PRS Dragon II treble pickup, and the neck pickup sounds similar to the Seymour Duncan '59. The guitar sounds just like what you would expect from any of the higher-end PRS models. It also feels and plays just as nice. The “Wide Fat” neck carve is extremely comfortable. Even though it's really not that fat, it might be a tad too big for those of you who like the tiny Ibanez Wizard style necks. The flamed maple veneered top is very nice, and unlike all the other guitars in it's price range which only have a 1/16” veneered top and an all mahogany body, the SE Custom and SE Singlecut guitars have a solid thick maple top laminated to a mahogany back, just like the more expensive models. In the end, this is one of the best guitars that I've played, and probably the best guitar in it's price range that I've played. If you're looking for a new guitar that is in the sub $600 USD range, do yourself a favor and find a PRS SE model to try out.

As always, what fits my hands perfect, and what sounds perfect to my ears, might just be the most awful thing you've every played. So, it is important that you always “try before you buy”, rather than going on someone else's opinion.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.